Question on NY PE Exam CIV and STR1

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinsanity

Reaction score
The Board emailed me and asked me which one would I write CIV or STR1, and I havent replied yet, any advice from experienced guys here.

The Board emailed me and asked me which one would I write CIV or STR1, and I havent replied yet, any advice from experienced guys here.
"If you're purely a structural guy you should take the STR1", is what guys like me will tell you. The civil/structural has the rep of being much "easier"; pass rates tend to support that theory. Others will tell you that it doesn't matter and get your PE how you have to.

I was thinking if I had a tough time or 2 with STR1 I would switch to civil/structural.

If your experience/knowledge is only in concrete/steel/footings&Foundations, civil is probably right for you.

You have a collect call from courage. Will you accept the charges?

I feel compelled to respond to this question...

The problem with STR1 is not that the material is *technically* more difficult than civil/str, they basically cover the same topics (timber and masonry are in the civil/str depth module this time). No, the problem with STR1 is that is a mentally EXHAUSTING test. You have a few - very few - "gimme's" but for the most part it's a long, hard slog through layer after layer of codes and exceptions and very tedious empirical equations. Most problems involve multiple steps, it is a race against time.

I have not taken the civil/str exam but from what i am told the problems are more "fair". you have 6 minutes a problem and you will not finish the STR1 with a warm and fuzzy feeling - but you can always get lucky.

my advice, at least this is what I am doing, is take the civil/str first. see how that goes, and then if you are still feeling energetic - go for STR1

just my $0.02

ps. I took the STR1 exam in October of '07 but did not pass. not a happy fun test at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll throw in my 0.02. If you're a structural guy and don't have a lot of experience with civil work then you might feel more comfortable (and it might seem more appropriate) to take the STR1 test. It is my understand that the questions are more indepth than the structural questions on the civil/str exam, but then again there aren't any questions on the general civil topics.

It is my understanding that it's easier to "learn for the test" the general civil topics (if you're exposure is limited to a given subject) than it is to "learn for the test" structural design of materials (like wood or masonry) if you haven't had much exposure to those specific materials and the associated codes.

Contrary to RoyT's suggestion if you've had more structural experience it my be easier to take the structural test. I'd try it first.

If it doesn't work out you might consider "learning" the unfamiliar civil topics and then taking the civil/str test.

Hope this helps.

BTW I took the STR1 test and passed. I have never taken the civil/str test

Vinsanity,

All you have to do is look at the pass rates. This is an important decision. I know people who have 5+ years experience in structural engineering and a MASTERS degree in structural engineering from a very good engineering school that had to take the STR1 3 times before passing - that's 1.5 years of your life without a PE.

the suggestion that the STR1 is in any way "easier" than the civil/str if you worked as a structural engineer is pure bunk. it's a brutal test and one where half the people who passed did so on a wing and a prayer.

You may get lucky - but odds are you'll spend the next 1-2 years of your life trying to pass that thing.

Just get the PE my friend, after that no one cares what you did it in.

I took both the SE1 and the Civil exams.

The SE1 is harder than the Civil, but it all depends on what you would like to do with your seal.

I took both the SE1 and the Civil exams.
The SE1 is harder than the Civil, but it all depends on what you would like to do with your seal.
kevo

just curious, why did you end up taking both?

kevo
just curious, why did you end up taking both?
I actually ended up taking all three. (SEI, SEII, and then Civil.... in that order)

I wanted the SEI and SEII for IL:SE, and then the Civil so I could be licensed in NV as an SE and then fly to CA to take 5 more hours of exams for a PE there.

I will be taking the SEIII in WA not this October, but next October though. Atleast, that is my plan for now. :smileyballs:

Hi, Kevo,

What is the requirements to be licensed in NV as SE? Is it really a seperate tile or under civil PE.

I checked some information from Illinois, sounds that they are very picky. Not only you need to pass SEI and II but also you need to follow their requirements to take SEI and II such as the min years after civil PE. Is that true?

Thanks

Jascia1919

Jes,

NV requires licensure as a civil PE before licensure as a SE. You can get your PE and SE license on the same day though. All that means is that you'll need the civil, SE1, and SE2 exams in order to be a licensed SE in NV.

As for IL, they are tough. They are very tough on the amount of analysis and design classes you've taken in college though. I got my NCEES record upgraded to MLSE and had no problems with IL.

Jes,NV requires licensure as a civil PE before licensure as a SE. You can get your PE and SE license on the same day though. All that means is that you'll need the civil, SE1, and SE2 exams in order to be a licensed SE in NV.

As for IL, they are tough. They are very tough on the amount of analysis and design classes you've taken in college though. I got my NCEES record upgraded to MLSE and had no problems with IL.

Kevo,

I need advise on Struc 1 too, I will write it on April 2009, books references, studying strategy, test preps any?

Back