Quality Luggage

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momech

Reaction score
I'm starting to do more traveling than I have in the past. We have some luggage that's about 14 years old, but has been falling apart for the last 7 years. Can anyone recommend a luggage manufacturer that makes very durable stuff, without going the hardside route?

I bought an Eddie Bauer rolling bag that is amazing. Small enough to fit overhead bins and even under seats yet will hold 4-5 days worth of clothing for a quick business trip.

Mr snick did a lot of traveling for his last job and we went through this same discussion. He bought a really nice suitcase, don't remember the brand, and it was trashed just as easily as the cheaper stuff. Yes it had a warranty but the closest place to get it fixed was several hours away and the cost to ship it to get repaired was not worth the cost. Easier to buyu a new bag. The way the bags are handled today it doesn't matter the quality of the bag it will still get trashed, unless you go the hardcase route.

We went the mid-level price route from then on out. He was going through a piece of luggage a year.

Dang that's one of my pet peeves too. Made in China crap luggage that falls apart within the first few trips. Roller wheels break, handles break or get stuck and you have to "force" them down, you end up dragging this half-broken half-rolling piece of crap through the airport. Yes, I've been there. No, I don't have a solution, other than I don't travel much any more (for other reasons).

I'm a fan of the factory sized ones for the industry standard overhead bins. My wife got me a roller, I believe the brand is a "forecast" sold at Sears.

It's held up pretty well with moderate travel. Like most of these is has an "expand" feature which is a separate zipper that will increase the "depth" of the bag by about 2 in. With the expand section closed it slides pretty easily into overhead bins. Expanded it likely won't make it on smaller aircraft but some larger planes might accomodate it. Bag is soft with a metal frame. zipper seem to take a fair amount of abuse (cram it closed and force it shut with the zipper). I've had it a couple of years and it hasn't failed yet. Personally I don't like the hard cases if you don't need one.

Hope that helps.

I'm a fan of the factory sized ones for the industry standard overhead bins. My wife got me a roller, I believe the brand is a "forecast" sold at Sears.It's held up pretty well with moderate travel. Like most of these is has an "expand" feature which is a separate zipper that will increase the "depth" of the bag by about 2 in. With the expand section closed it slides pretty easily into overhead bins. Expanded it likely won't make it on smaller aircraft but some larger planes might accomodate it. Bag is soft with a metal frame. zipper seem to take a fair amount of abuse (cram it closed and force it shut with the zipper). I've had it a couple of years and it hasn't failed yet. Personally I don't like the hard cases if you don't need one.

Hope that helps.
i think that is the brand we have now. Bought a 3 piece set extra large for a family vacation. a medium size for an extended business trip and that same size one you are talking about MA for when mr snick doesn't want to check a bag.

Any experience with the "spinner" type? It seems to me like it would make it more fragile, but a lot of people seem to like them.

Any experience with the "spinner" type? It seems to me like it would make it more fragile, but a lot of people seem to like them.
I see those at the airport...they look neat, but longterm functionality and cost always knock the neatness factor back down for me.

I've been happy with both Samsonite, and their mid-range brand American Tourister. I've been using the same AT set for 12 years. I travel via car a lot and 2-3x per year by plane.

If you are going to travel a lot, especially internationally, get hard-sided for checked bags. Look at the discount and 2nd hand stores for them. I bout 2 hard sides for $50 each (new) at a closeout store.

I've been happy with both Samsonite, and their mid-range brand American Tourister. I've been using the same AT set for 12 years. I travel via car a lot and 2-3x per year by plane.
If you are going to travel a lot, especially internationally, get hard-sided for checked bags. Look at the discount and 2nd hand stores for them. I bout 2 hard sides for $50 each (new) at a closeout store.
We have Samsonite now. When we bought it, I thought it would be very durable. Unfortunately, it was not.

Samsonite AT used to be good stuff, but recent AT quality is not better than the rest. Our AT luggage got toasted on a cruise, first time we used it too. By the time it reached our room on the boat, 2 or 3 of the zipper pulls were missing and support in the back panel was busted.

Went shopping at Macy's over lunch. Wow! It's ALL made in China! Even the "good" stuff. Very disappointing.

Don't know if you have Kohl's where you are but they usually have a lot of luggage to choose from.

I personally got a High Sierra rolling carry-on for my travels back and forth to Afghanistan for R&R's. I don't have to take much with me (wear a uniform here so most of my civilian clothes are still at home anyway) but it's plenty big to get quite a bit of stuff in there. Also has a laptop compartment which was one of the big things I was looking for along with making sure I didn't have to check it everywhere I went.

This is the one I got...http://hssc.com/product?number=EL100&lang=en...so far it is holding up really well.

Being a road whore, I go through them like water, but the cheap Delsey stuff has held up best for me thus far.

I decided on a TravelPro carry-on. We just got home from an 8-day Disney World trip. I am very happy with my choice so far. I hope to never have to check it, which should make it last CONSIDERABLY longer.

Back