Purses

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GulfCoastCivil

Don't Mess With My Oatmeal!
Reaction score
Are you bringing your purse to the exam? Are you cleaning it out before the exam of everything except what you will need that day?

(or for those who have been there done that, what did you do?)

I'm debating. I am loathe to lock it in the car because my life is in the purse. I'm thinking I may just take the necessities for my two day trip and stick it in my movie purse and just bring that. I may lock that in the car and put my wallet in the suitcase I'll be using for all my books.

As you can see, I'm an over thinker and over preparer. I'm sure the testing agency must think I'm nuts with the questions I've emailed them. For instance, I can bring my cell phone in with me if I turn it off and hand it to a proctor the second I get there. (I was going to be dropped off for the exam, but my mom backed out)

That's a fantastic idea. I wasn't sure what to do because I do need my credit cards and such because I'm staying at a hotel the night before.

I am having a hard time recalling exactly what I did, but I think I took a backpack filled with the non-book stuff like snacks, medicines, calculators, spare batteries, etc. I used the front pocket of the backpack as my "purse" and transfered anything that I needed from my purse into the backpack (including my wallet).

Whatever you do, make sure you remember where you put your wallet. One of my friends misplaced her wallet (which had her ID) so she almost wasn't allowed to take the test. Luckily, she found it in time to be admitted to the exam room.

I have a habit of stashing important items in a special place and then forgetting where that special place was. It might be good to not stray too far from your standard routine. No need to cause additional stress because you thought you had stashed your wallet in one pocket of the suitcase when it is actually in a different pocket, or you decided to put it in your coat pocket, etc.

I might be the weirdo here, but I don't carry a purse. OK, occasionally I carry a clutch when I'm dressed up and have no pockets. Most of the time, I have a wallet and a cell phone in my back pockets; keys and other stuff in front pockets. I used to carry a purse, but it was a hassle. I decided I wanted the freedom of not having to say, "Let me get my purse and I'll be ready to go."

Is that weird? I specifically look for clothes that have pockets. Even some of my nice dresses have pockets - at least I can put a car key and a license and credit card in a dress pocket. I do not own any pants without pockets. Even all my skirts (when I used to wear skirt suits to work) had pockets.

I know I'm not really responding to the original thread question. Hope you don't mind me sharing my outlook.

I think I just took it with me. I had a backpack so I probably put it in there, but I don't think I emptied it out.

I didn't even risk taking my wallet into the room. I just had my ID and admission slip with me. I put my wallet in the center console of my car.

Mary ~ I was very anti-purse for years. I didn't start carrying one till I was in my late 20's. Now I can't live without it.

klk ~ That is me too. My Grandma In Law made me a hat and scarf this past Christmas. I put it somewhere so I wouldn't forget it for my ski trip and ended up not being able to find it at all for the trip. So very good point.

frazil ~ My concern with that is my purse is overflowing with papers. Loose papers. I don't want to get kicked out of the exam if one of them goes astray.

wil ~ You weren't concerned with someone breaking into your car and leaving you stranded??

wil ~ You weren't concerned with someone breaking into your car and leaving you stranded??
I have never had a car broken into (knock on synthetic wood), and the parking lot at the expo center where I took the exam was patrolled by rent-a-cops. I felt relatively comfortable leaving my wallet in there. I guess it helped that I was taking the exam in my home town, so if push came to shove, I could call my friends or family to come pick me up.

I left everything (except my wallet and keys) locked in the car. I drove a pretty crappy car that NO ONE would want to break into, so I wasn't worried.

If you're going to take your purse, I would definitely clear out any loose papers.

I left everything (except my wallet and keys) locked in the car. I drove a pretty crappy car that NO ONE would want to break into, so I wasn't worried.
My car was broken into years and years ago. I had felt the same way about that car. It had a $5 radio in it and was a junker car (but I LOVED it). And yep, someone broke in and stole the radio along with a bunch of random not valuable stuff. Mixed tapes, a jar of glitter, a dirty towel, etc. Luckily they were nice enough to unsnap the stereo wires rather than cut them so replacing the radio was easy. However, replacing the busted window cost more than all the stolen stuff combined. *sigh* I miss that Sentra.

And yep, someone broke in and stole the radio along with a bunch of random not valuable stuff. Mixed tapes, a jar of glitter, a dirty towel, etc.
They thought it was a Shamwow! They were easily confused by imitators.

I just got rid of a Sentra. Can't say that I miss it a bit. It did get good mileage, though!

Why doesn't anyone talk about "man purses" anymore?

We can have bags full of our stuff too, right???

I am trying to be serious here. :true:

In a previous topic about the PE exam in Maryland (about a month ago), Baltimore Joe posted the following about the Maryland PE exam last October;

"...OK and the craziest one of all - we were not allowed to have our wallets with us during the exam. Everyone had to leave them in the car. I’m not sure why this was done. When I took the FE in April there were no wallet restrictions."

So maybe people who take it in Maryland want to keep that in mind.

BPH

Back