PTOE exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you guys think that the test was hard?
I thought it was a little challenging because it was not open book. However, a lot of it is experience based, so getting through a bulk of the questions wasn't that difficult. It was trying to come up with answers to situations you don't normally see on a day-to-day basis that was.

In my experience, the test had a mix of questions. First of all, it does matter if you deal with traffic operations in your job. Some questions are really straight forward if you have dealt with them. For example, how to account for the pass-by trips. If you have conducted/reviewed a TIA, it would be easy enough. However, for somebody involved largely in design may find it harder.

For people in the traffic operations, the test was still a mix of questions. There were some straight forward questions, some medium level and then some on which you could really spend a lot of time. Overall, the test wasn't as time consuming. Most of the questions - either you know or you guess. There wasn't much of calculation or thinking about them.

My opinion is that the test relates highly to the traffic operations profession and therefore is very relvant unlike PE of which only small portion is relevant.

It would be nice if there were a question bank from actual exam which candidates could go to and try themselves to calm the nerves before the test.

As for the preparation, I would say 30-40 hours preparation is good. Considering the value the exam brings, I think it's definitely worth it especially if you can have your employer pay for the exam and registration.

Anyone took the exam last month? When could we expect results?

Hi,

I am planing to take PTOE exam in March 2012. I would like to know the material and other things required for the exam.

Appreciate some help.

Thanks,

Rama.

I am also taking the PTOE in March. I am using a study course material that an fellow employee took when he took his test. It's through ITE.

Hi,

I am planing to take PTOE exam in March 2012. I would like to know the material and other things required for the exam.

Appreciate some help.

Thanks,

Rama.
I plan to take this exam soon as well. I heard the only study material is through ITE. They have a book and CD. If anyone else knows of other good study references, example problems or any tips/advice on taking the exam please send those along!!!

Here's my earlier post in a similar thread.... I think this covers general thoughts that I still think are true. The only difference is I took the last paper/pencil test but I don't expect things to be much different with CBT. I recommend taking online practice for $10. Insider tip... ;) . Once you are done with your test keep going back to the home screen and click to take another test. You will get another set of questions - you can do it as many times as you want. The only catch is you will just get questions and no answers or grading of the test but getting those sample questions is worth it. Some questions will be repeated but you will get some new questions as well.

If you really want to just get the questions, then take screen shots of the questions and save it as a word file to go over all of them at once!! Good luck.

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=5487&hl=ptoe&fromsearch=1

"I agree here, I think I have mentioned this somewhere in this post. ITE refresher book is the only real study material you have that is directly related to the test. However, it is not sufficient on its own. The test relies on your experience more and then knowledge/engineering judgement. I took the ITE book as the starting point, then referred to the topics in the ITE book in detail in AASHTO, CM, MUTCD. I wouldn't go to length with Hoel and Garber, there will not be many numerical problems on the test. I would say there were only 25-35 percent numerical problems... My guess may be skewed, but from what I remember there weren't as many numerical problems. I would recommend reading chapter on Interchanges in AASHTO and about RR crossing from MUTCD and some AASHTO. I found that these are the topics that we don't deal with routinely and there is not much much mentioned in the reference book other than basic points.

One more thing, you will find that the questions in the refresher book refer to a book called "Traffic Safety Toolbox". I ended up buying it, but if you don't, never mind. There is too much information in there. However, I referred to the chapters that the refresher book referenced for that answers and that was it. It may have helped me answer 1-2 questions, if not, then at least gave me mental peace.

Let me know if I can help in any other way. I was damn nervous before going to the exam as there is no study material and had no idea what to expect!! So this feeling is normal I guess. Just read through the manual and be well versed with the manuals. "

Just got my confirmation email that I was selected to take the test in March.

I really haven't done much studying yet. Better step it up!

Hey Boomer,

Can I know how many days it took for you to get the confirmation email?

Thanks,

Rama.

I'm not exactly sure because I sent in my registration and money before they started taking applications.

Hey Boomer,

Can I know how many days it took for you to get the confirmation email?

Thanks,

Rama.
Rama... if it helps... I sent in my PTOE package on January 6th, and got a confirmation email on January 9 th from TPCB stating that they had recieved my application package. Today I recieved an email stating that I had been approved to take the test in March.

If you get the PTOE 15 sample questions and cut and paste them to word you can review them later. I gather they provide different questions to each person who applies. If you email me a copy of your sample questions at [email protected] I'll email you the sample questions I got.

In all the all exams I've written (literally over a 100) in my life, I can't recall ever having been provided with so few example questions. The reason that lots of questions are usually available is because they want to test your knowledge not your ability to pass exams.

Thanks

road designer

Back