PTOE exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, I got it few years back...it expired as i did not renew it and had to retake....glad to pass...

Guys,

I have a question. I have passed my PE recently (October 2012) from Texas and I am working in Florida right now in traffic operations. I have a Masters in Civil Engineering plus just over 3 years of experience. I saw that PTOE requirement says it needs 4 years of traffic experience. My question is does a Masters count in the experience (just like the PE where I had 3 years of experience + my MS counted for 1 year)?

Also, I want to take the exam in Florida. But since I am a PE from Texas do i have to take it in Texas or I can take it in FL?

Thanks,

I would email ITE about the experience. I would think you could take the PTOE anywhere as long as you have a PE.

I thought this certification was something worth pursuing a little while back but came to the conclusion it wasn't worth the time or money. I did get 30 sample questions. If anyone would like them, shoot me an e-mail and I will send them over to you.

[email protected]

Which reference materials are most beneficial for studying for this exam?

I currently have:

HCM

MUTCD

Green Book

Traffic Engineering Handbook

I'm wondering if I really need to purchase:

Manual of Transportation Engineering Studies

Traffic Safety Toolbox: A Primer on Traffic Safety

Transportation Planning Handbook

Fundamentals of Traffic Engineering

I think a couple of these would be helpful in my job anyway, but I don't want to go overboard...

I used all of the books that you have and none of the books you are asking about. Additionally, I took a refresher course through ITE.

Hi

The ITE wesbite lists AASHTO 2004 and HCM2000 for PTOE exam reference. I am confused, shouldn't I study the HCM 2010 and AASHTO 2011? Please somebody advice.

Also, are any of you guys selling a copy of ITE PTOE refreshers handbook? Let me know. Thanks.

Turen009

As someone who has used all the references you posted for my job and for exam prep (the 2004 & 2011 Green Books and the 2000 & 2010 Highway Capacity Manuals) - there is almost no difference between editions in terms core concepts, constants and information from tables. From my experience with PTOE exam prep and PE Exam prep you will be fine with either edition.

I think you will see the older standards referenced because that is where the "pool" of questions were originally generated from. Since there is so little difference between the manuals, no one bothers to update the exam questions or standards since you will get the same answer from both books. Remember too that unlike the PE Exam, you can't bring the reference to the exam, so don't expect them to ask you questions about anything so specific that the correct answer would very from edition to edition. Your focus is reviewing concepts, not equations, constants and tabular material.

The ITE Traffic Engineering Handbook has pretty much everything you need to pass the PTOE Exam in it. That is where I would put the bulk of my time and effort - especially if you have recently passed the Civil PE - Transportation Exam.

Great advice PeonPE. I passed my Civil-Transportation PE in Oct 2012, and I feel most of the material is still fresh in my brain. I do have a copy of the ITE TE Handbook recent edition. I'll focus more onto it then. Thanks :)

Anyone take the PTOE in June? Anxiously waiting for results here and hoping for the best!!

I took the exam this June and am awaiting the results. Does anyone know how long before we can get the exam results?

My testing facility said 4-6 weeks. The confirmation to take the test from ITE said 6-8 weeks...

I also took the exam in June and waiting for results...I'm starting to get anxious!!

Well, I finished the exam today, in waiting mode again...

Am I reasonable to expect the result before Thanksgiving?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys

I am preparing for the PTOE, anyone has some sample exam questions? I only has the questions that came with the refresher course....

Please help

Thanks

I just noticed the TPCB website indicates the number of certified professionals as of November 19, 2014. Is anyone who took the exam during the October 2014 testing window listed in the directory?

Back