Professional Environment?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe you could go a step ahead and put up a picture of a clock. It could display 6:00 pm all day. Then a nice sign underneath, "My office hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm."

Maybe you could go a step ahead and put up a picture of a clock. It could display 6:00 pm all day. Then a nice sign underneath, "My office hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm."
Nice...I like it.... I can put it right next to the "complaint department" hand grenade.

It's amazing how low moral is. A few years back they created this "Climate Survey" to see how employees felt about various things... promotions, management, etc... and there were comment boxes (this was done elctronically) to write additional comments. The only two people to see the actual comments were the Secretary of the DEP and the Deputy Secrectary. It never went to the RDs, Managers, Supers, etc... I mean, what a waste of time any money, to create this thing, and not even have the information to make a change for the better. But there were A LOT of comments that could never be addressed.

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
As I read it, your situation is that everyone had a government issue battery-powered wall clock in their office/cube. The new policy remove these wall clocks. As the memo says both the computers and phone display time (likely connected to the network so they all have the same time), and if individuals choose to do so, they have wristwatches. In the world of "corporate fairness" it's not practical to issue clocks only to those that want them and not to others. Thus, a blanket policy of removing the gov't issue battery-powered clocks. They didn't just remove private property.

Not for anything but I really can't see the need to give everyone a clock and this policy doesn't sound overly stupid to me. It actually makes some sense.

If you really a clock, bring it in and challenge the policy. If they say you can't, now that's ridiculous.

FWIW, I'd get one of the barroom clocks that are all 5's.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I read it, your situation is that everyone had a government issue battery-powered wall clock in their office/cube. The new policy remove these wall clocks. As the memo says both the computers and phone display time (likely connected to the network so they all have the same time), and if individuals choose to do so, they have wristwatches. In the world of "corporate fairness" it's not practical to issue clocks only to those that want them and not to others. Thus, a blanket policy of removing the gov't issue battery-powered clocks. They didn't just remove private property.
Not for anything but I really can't see the need to give everyone a clock and this policy doesn't sound overly stupid to me. It actually makes some sense.

If you really a clock, bring it in and challenge the policy. If they say you can't, now that's ridiculous.

FWIW, I'd get one of the barroom clocks that are all 5's.
I have an old clock mechanism... I'll have to make a new face plate in autocad for it... hehehe

Well, each section: air, water; clean-ups, waste, etc.. had a clock on the wall (gov't issue). They took those clocks. The point is they wield this secret power... they could have just come out and said "people abuse the wall clock and leave according to that, which is unoffical, so the clocks will be removed" But the management in my building feels that if they will just take them away, not say anything to the employees, no one will notice. Which is what they did, and everyone noticed.

"Oh dear, the clock fairy has taken my time keeping device away, what will I do?"

They could just as easily come down on the managers, then to the supers, and the section chiefs, a la the chain of command - which is basically no-exisitant. The COC is there, but the RD wishes to wave this iron fist. And he wonders why people don't volunteer for any special assignments, or attend luncheons with guest speakers - it is that no one cares, really.

Brian

I have an old clock mechanism... I'll have to make a new face plate in autocad for it... hehehe
Well, each section: air, water; clean-ups, waste, etc.. had a clock on the wall (gov't issue). They took those clocks. The point is they wield this secret power... they could have just come out and said "people abuse the wall clock and leave according to that, which is unoffical, so the clocks will be removed" But the management in my building feels that if they will just take them away, not say anything to the employees, no one will notice. Which is what they did, and everyone noticed.

"Oh dear, the clock fairy has taken my time keeping device away, what will I do?"

They could just as easily come down on the managers, then to the supers, and the section chiefs, a la the chain of command - which is basically no-exisitant. The COC is there, but the RD wishes to wave this iron fist. And he wonders why people don't volunteer for any special assignments, or attend luncheons with guest speakers - it is that no one cares, really.

Brian
here's one for you

That doesn't look like a beer bottle, so it can't be me; I only drink beer.

I would have to say that that gentleman pulls off the yellow shirt/purple jacket combo quite elegantly.

^^^ is that Ray or the Captain?
I do believe you'd get beat up for wearing a yellow shirt and purple jacket in my line of work....

I stick to beer... at first any way, then there is always a round or two or eight of shots (usually Jagermeister)... corporate functions though I clean up for... I go right into vodka tonics!

Back