Presidential Election

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who will better represent the American Public in The White House?

• McCain

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Obama

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
Yeah, I don't really agree with this statement. I do agree that a good portion of the voting public could be considered gullible or ambivalent or uninformed, but saying they would support a candidate who has ties to radical muslims in this day and age if he/she could give them a better life? Banking on a thought that in this day and age that Hitler could do well politically in this country just because people would be stupid enough / gullible / greedy that they would consider mass execution if it helped them in some way? I find that hard to fathom. I'd like to think that America is stronger than that.

The point is that Hitler did not stand up and say support me and I will kill the Jews. He did not come across as hey I'm evil but I can help you. If he had he would not have gotten the support he did. He just said I can help. It was a gradual process of placing blame on the Jews and then telling them he can help make a better life for them. After he had the support of the country and started his genocide on the Jews noone would go against for several reasons, a few of which are: fear, loyalty, and gratefulness. The people were like so what if he kills the Jews he made a better life for me and my family. Sounds alot like the mentality of people today. It's all about what I can get for me, who cares about others or even the overall good of the nation. This is why most of our government has been bought and paid for by big corporations. The ideals have been misconstrued or no longer exist.

Yeah, I don't really agree with this statement. I do agree that a good portion of the voting public could be considered gullible or ambivalent or uninformed, but saying they would support a candidate who has ties to radical muslims in this day and age if he/she could give them a better life? Banking on a thought that in this day and age that Hitler could do well politically in this country just because people would be stupid enough / gullible / greedy that they would consider mass execution if it helped them in some way? I find that hard to fathom. I'd like to think that America is stronger than that.

While incredibly sad, I could somewhat see it happening (not the mass execution). There is a growing population in this country that isn't about what they can do for the country, or even what they can do for themselves, but rather what the government will give or do for them.

What objective evidence, or actual problems do you point to for the low regard you have for the American people? THe truth is that most of the people in this country work and go about their business. Unemployment is still comparatively low, charitable giving is still high, crime is down. As far as people being sheeple, despite his oratory skills Obama is pretty much even with McCain. And if he wins, you really see that as the end of the world? THe country is split along all sorts of lines. Sure the country has some problems, and the economy is not 100% great, but what is your statistical evidence for any of these dire predctions? I think the vast majority of people are a positive force in this country. I don't know what gives you such a negative view.

Last edited by a moderator:
What benbo said.

I think we have a large tendency, fueled by the idiocracy that is the US media, to see the glass as half empty, even when it is almost full.

Gramm was right. We're a bunch of whiners.

^ 2nd that! And i gotta say, i'm really tired of hearing about streets being closed by the white house so a 'watermelon patch' can be planted, or that dog fighting will be legalized if Obama wins. good God, aren't we past these racist lines of thought? Not so much, clearly. . .

The two most important events in all of history were:
1. The invention of beer, and

2. The invention of the wheel. The wheel was invented to get man to the beer, and the beer to the man.
I'm with you on #1, but I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on #2. I think pizza should be #2. The wheel is fine and all, but it doesn't go as well with beer.

Robbie Knievel is planning a new huge MEGA-EVENT.

He has already jumped the fountains at Ceasars Palace,

he has already jumped the Grand Canyon,

this time, he is going to JUMP OVER 5,000 Obama supporters......

..... with a BULLDOZER

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty Good Evaluation process

ABC has a test at the below address to see who's campaign statements,

McCain's or Obama's, you agree withmost. They don't tell you who made

the statements, of course, but a statement made by each candidate on

the same topic (economy, immigration, judiciary, etc.) will be side by

side.

You just pick which statement you agree with and, after selecting all 13,

you'll find out which candidate's philosophy you support.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/MatchoMatic...page?id=5542139

all praise early voting! I just voted during lunch! only took about 30 minutes.............................................

But I guess I cant change my mind after the debates now I guess?

^^^ Yeah, there's that cost to early voting. Although, I suppose that can be a good thing too.

Pretty Good Evaluation process
ABC has a test at the below address to see who's campaign statements,

McCain's or Obama's, you agree withmost. They don't tell you who made

the statements, of course, but a statement made by each candidate on

the same topic (economy, immigration, judiciary, etc.) will be side by

side.

You just pick which statement you agree with and, after selecting all 13,

you'll find out which candidate's philosophy you support.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/MatchoMatic...page?id=5542139

Wow, I figured it'd be closer for me, but only had two checks for Obama and the rest McCain.

Back