Presidential Election

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who will better represent the American Public in The White House?

• McCain

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Obama

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

G-Loose

Reaction score
Personally, I don't like our choices in this election. It always seems that we are forced to vote for the lesser of two evils when it comes presidential election time. This year is no different. On one side you have a muslim racist that thinks we should love terrorists more so they won't want to bomb us and on the other side we have an old fart who just wants to continue to let the rich get richer while the country goes down the tubes. I believe the Republicans are reaping the seeds they have sown with the falling apart our economy. When these guys make millions and millions of dollars someone has to lose. That someone is everyone with a retirement plan that's based on stocks and mutual funds. Our two-party system sucks. If someone with great ideas comes along they just get shut down by the big parties just like Wal-mart coming in and shutting down the mom and pop stores. Now we are left with the same problem, we have to accept life on their terms just as we have to live with Wal-mart's lack of customer service and an overall who cares about the customer attitude. I firmly believe the only reason Obama has been selected by the Dems is because he is, dare I say, black. The fact that he is black greatly overshadows the fact that he is a racist and the fact that he hates America and what it stands for. The point being that many people will vote for him simply because he's black and that's the name of the game for each party, to get your guy in office no matter what that actually means for the wellfare of our country. "That's all I got to say about that", Forrest Gump.

Last edited by a moderator:
On one side you have a muslim racist that thinks we should love terrorists more so they won't want to bomb us and on the other side we have an old fart who just wants to continue to let the rich get richer while the country goes down the tubes.
I don't agree with your characterization of either candidate. That being said, I don't know that either is going to represent the public well...but that isn't really what we have a president for, is it?

I will respectfully not answer the poll based on the mis-informed over generalized extremist view in the original post.

Muslim racist? Because he has a Muslim sounding name and is black? Have you even heard one of his speaches, or visited his website? Do you know any of his official stances?

Old fart wanting to continue the "Bush Legacy" (my summary of yours)? Again, have you heard his speaches, visited his website? Again, do you know any of his official stances?

How much of your info comes from MSNBC, CNN, Fox News, Comedy Central or the local news compared with word of mouth and general water-cooler discussion with other mis-informed over generalized people? It sounds like either way too much crap info or no information at all. I don't know if you tried to dumb down your thoughts for others to understand, but please remember this is probably one of the more educated discussion forums you will find on the internet. Most of us here are either PE's, PLS's or working our asses off to get them.

Perhaps if the thread was started with an actual "educated" approach, I may dignify the poll with a choice.

Last edited:
I will respectfully not answer the poll based on the mis-informed over generalized extremist view in the original post.
Muslim racist? Because he has a Muslim sounding name and is black? Have you even heard one of his speaches, or visited his website? Do you know any of his official stances?

Old fart wanting to continue the "Bush Legacy" (my summary of yours)? Again, have you heard his speaches, visited his website? Again, do you know any of his official stances?

How much of your info comes from MSNBC, CNN, Fox News, Comedy Central or the local news compared with word of mouth and general water-cooler discussion with other mis-informed over generalized people? It sounds like either way too much crap info or no information at all. I don't know if you tried to dumb down your thoughts for others to understand, but please remember this is probably one of the more educated discussion forums you will find on the internet. Most of us here are either PE's, PLS's or working our asses off to get them.

Perhaps if the thread was started with an actual "educated" approach, I may dignify the poll with a choice.
I will re-characterize. Canidate 1: No track record while avoiding voting while a Senator. He doesn't have a clue what it takes to be a Christian by his statement that there are more than one way to be saved. He also won't be seen at a Mosque. He does not have real experience. If education replaces experience, he only has a law degree with no education in finance, business, engineering, social studies, and so forth. He also would rather talk rather than stand up for what is right, including defending the unborn. He does have a 20 year track record of supporting racial clerics, and having them be his mentor. His wife wasn't proud to be an American until he was winning a primary.

Canidate 2: He liked to party early on, probably as a rebellian against his dad and grandfather who were high ranking officers. He knows his military, and how to stand up for what is right. His education is from Military school where he was near the bottom due to demerits from goofing off. He crashed 5 planes during his military career including the time he was shot down. He spent years being tortured in a prison camp/hotel. He has 20 plus years of experience of getting things done in Washington. He is respected by his peers. He can be trusted with the USA 's military to do what is right for its citizens. He has a better understanding of fiscal requirements in order to protect the USA 's future. His wife distributes beer!!!!

I will re-characterize. Canidate 1: No track record while avoiding voting while a Senator. He doesn't have a clue what it takes to be a Christian by his statement that there are more than one way to be saved. He also won't be seen at a Mosque. He does not have real experience. If education replaces experience, he only has a law degree with no education in finance, business, engineering, social studies, and so forth. He also would rather talk rather than stand up for what is right, including defending the unborn. He does have a 20 year track record of supporting racial clerics, and having them be his mentor. His wife wasn't proud to be an American until he was winning a primary.
Canidate 2: He liked to party early on, probably as a rebellian against his dad and grandfather who were high ranking officers. He knows his military, and how to stand up for what is right. His education is from Military school where he was near the bottom due to demerits from goofing off. He crashed 5 planes during his military career including the time he was shot down. He spent years being tortured in a prison camp/hotel. He has 20 plus years of experience of getting things done in Washington. He is respected by his peers. He can be trusted with the USA 's military to do what is right for its citizens. He has a better understanding of fiscal requirements in order to protect the USA 's future. His wife distributes beer!!!!
Thanks Slugger. This was the kind of response I had hoped for..

I will re-characterize. Canidate 1: No track record while avoiding voting while a Senator. He doesn't have a clue what it takes to be a Christian by his statement that there are more than one way to be saved. We as a country are multi-denominational. We have been led with the "Christian" belief since our beginning, and we are no longer the biggest, best, and most profitable country in the world anymore. China and Japan combine to own over 50% of the US debt. Are they Christian countries? No. Do you honestly feel that a country run by a Jew, a Muslim, a Cathlic, or an Athesist would be the worse thing imaginable? He also won't be seen at a Mosque. I've never been seen in a Mosque either, does that mean I can't run for president? He does not have real experience. If education replaces experience, he only has a law degree with no education in finance, business, engineering, social studies, and so forth. How many degrees does McCain have? Does McCain have an engineering degree? Does he have a MBA? He also would rather talk rather than stand up for what is right Why does standing up for your beliefs have to include your fist or gun? Some of the best "battles" I've been witness to were wars of words and intellect. Do you really prefer a country run with the mentality of: "I'm right, your wrong and to prove my point I will hit/shoot/bomb you?" , including defending the unborn. Defending them from what? Being born into a home that has already demonstraded the child is unwanted? What about a child stemming from rape? How about the unwanted child in a home supported by Medicaid, do you want your tax dollars to support another child that had already been dubbed "unwanted" by the parent(s)? I agree that there are alot of abortions just from stupid people not considering the consequences of their actions and I would like to see a crack-down on stupid people, but in my eyes abortion should always be a choice. Not one to be made by the government. If you don't want an abortion, then don't have one. He does have a 20 year track record of supporting racial clerics, and having them be his mentor. His wife wasn't proud to be an American until he was winning a primary. Good for her for voicing her opinion, as is the very foundation of this country. If the President of this country (and anyone surrounding him) can't say what they really feel, how can we truly trust them? Would you rather have a President that strokes your ego and tells you everything you want to hear, knowing full well that not everything said is neither true or right?
Canidate 2: He liked to party early on, probably as a rebellian against his dad and grandfather who were high ranking officers. Good for him. To deny the fact that he or almost everyone else in this country has enjoyed the freedom we celebrate would be a lie. He knows his military, and how to stand up for what is right. His education is from Military school where he was near the bottom due to demerits from goofing off. He crashed 5 planes during his military career including the time he was shot down. He spent years being tortured in a prison camp/hotel. So he is another candidate both willing and able to use to the military to handle the countries issues. Let's see how he uses the military to combat the multi-billion dollar price tag it carries, or the rising housing crisis, or the economy, or the multi-TRILLION dollar deficit largely held by Asian countries, or the issue of abortion you mentioned above... I'm not saying that we should all be hippie and "Can't we all just get along?" but seriously, give me a candidate who can negotiate without a gun in his hand. He has 20 plus years of experience of getting things done in Washington. He is respected by his peers. Never a complaint on this front. If you can't get along with your fellow law-makers, you will never be able to get anything done. Only question is, how many don't respect Obama? He can be trusted with the USA 's military to do what is right for its citizens. I read this as "he is more willing to use the military in a way that I would use it, which is to solve all of my problems" He has a better understanding of fiscal requirements in order to protect the USA 's future. He has a republican mentality when it comes to money. It's my money, nobody else should ever benefit from it, and don't you ever think of taxing me! While I don't agree with more taxes, I do understand that government and the infra-structure of this country cost money to operate. We can't continue to take out loans from other countries to continue to operate as a country. At this point I really think this truly requires a complete restructurization of the Federal Reserve, not a new president. EVERY president to date has simply taken the same problem, put a bigger band-aid on it and passed it off to the next president. His wife distributes beer!!!! Ok, you got me on this one with the exception of, What the hell does that do for me? Not enough to sway my vote one way or another.
I have posted comments and questions in bold above.

My quick and simple summary of your description is this:

Candidate 1: In-experienced, under-educated, non-christian who only wants to solve issues about talking about them

Candidate 2: Fun, goofball, war vet who is both willing and able to use a military

By your summaries, I feel more inclined to move out of the country than to participate in this presidential vote. The one thing that I think is still lacking from the summaries you posted was part of my original post: do you know the official stances of either candidate? This summary is just what has happened in the past with little regard with either candidates goals toward the future.

I honestly haven't made a decision towards either candidate. Obama is starting to waffle a bit like Kerry did, McCain has seemed to turn more into the Bush I don't like than the "left-wing" republican senator everyone liked in Arizona.

Ok. I'm done now. I'll try to refrain from going much further into this before I manage to really get myself into trouble.

Last edited:

My intent was not to dumb down but generate others responses and thoughts on the current political atmosphere. As far as official responses, does it really matter anyway? If the voters want something different, hasn't it become commonplace to simply "crawfish" out of it and say "what I meant by that was...". Official stance means nothing to me. Like the preacher once said, "If you play around the hog pen long enough, yer eventually gonna to get some mud on yah". We don't have a good choice here but the bottom line is that if a Democrat is elected we all will be considered rich and be taxed to death. Yep, if you make over $50K you are rich to Dems and as such should bare the burden of those who don't want to work for it.

giantdouchevsturdsandwich7om.jpg

That picture pretty much sums up my opinion of the election candidates this year. A giant douche and a turd sandwich. I refuse to choose between two equally useless pawns of the major parties. I have never been a fan of liberals, and both candidates now qualify. Republicans used to be conservative, but now they are just "moral conservatives" funded and led by the evangelical christians. There does not exist a major, fiscally conservative party.

Last election, I voted for Michael Badnarik. He was the Libertarian candidate. And before you guys start pissing and moaning that I "wasted my vote", might I direct you to the people above that are spouting off that you haven't taken the time to research what a candidate really believes. Well, that's what I did, and the person that most closely advocated my political beliefs was the Libertarian, so I voted for him. So all the millions and millions of jackholes that vote for the "lesser of two evils" or the "best of the worst", I say YOU are wasting your votes and condemning the country to 4 more years of the wrong direction...which ever of the Big Two wins.

This year, I'll either vote for Ron Paul if he runs as an independent, the Libertarian candidate if I like what he has to say, or I won't vote at all. I'm tired of voting in a system when I know for a fact that I will not be represented in any way, shape, or form in the federal government whether I vote or not. We basically have an election to choose your dictator. Once these idiots get in office, it's not like they are trying to represent the will of the people. They are just pandering to their party, the lobbyists, or whoever has the deepest pockets.

I have posted comments and questions in bold above.
My quick and simple summary of your description is this:

Candidate 1: In-experienced, under-educated, non-christian who only wants to solve issues about talking about them OR GIVING UP MUCH LIKE FRANCE DID DURING WWII AT THE SAME TIME TAKING AWAY 2nd ADMENDMENT RIGHTS.

Candidate 2: Fun, goofball, war MATURED vet who is both willing and able to use a military IF NEEDED RESPONSIBLY AS REAGAN DID WITH HIS BIG STICK.

By your summaries, I feel more inclined to move out of the country than to participate in this presidential vote. The one thing that I think is still lacking from the summaries you posted was part of my original post: do you know the official stances of either candidate? This summary is just what has happened in the past with little regard with either candidates goals toward the future.

I honestly haven't made a decision towards either candidate. Obama is starting to waffle a bit like Kerry did, McCain has seemed to turn more into the Bush I don't like than the "left-wing" republican senator everyone liked in Arizona.

Ok. I'm done now. I'll try to refrain from going much further into this before I manage to really get myself into trouble.
One thing I learned both in Church and from interviewing classes, if you want to know how someone will act or perform in the future, look at both their previous and current actions. How someone solved a problem in past will probably be how they will handle the problem in the future. Their actions speak the truth, while their words can pretty much be ignored. Their past actions will dictate how I believe the candidate will do what is best for my job, investments (which is partially tied to my job), my retirement, and the future of my kids.

I doubt anyone will get into trouble over beliefs. This is America, and everyone is entitled to their beliefs, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and their right to bear arms to protect their rights.

For anyone not wanting to vote for either, this poll is flawed. There is a big campaign to write my name in. PM me if you want to write me in.

Just put : Terry Britton, P.E. on your ballot.

:multiplespotting: :multiplespotting: :multiplespotting: :multiplespotting:

My traditional write-in vote was, is, & always willl be Mickey Mouse - power to the House of Mouse! M. Mouse in '08!

My traditional write-in vote was, is, & always willl be Mickey Mouse - power to the House of Mouse! M. Mouse in '08!
Mickey is the only person to obtain at least 0.5% of the votes every election since the 50's.

I hear Elvis is another that gets a few votes every year.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh politics. There is nothing more exciting than engineers discussing politics.

We should invite Carlito from UK to join this one. He surely will have a lot to share.

:bio: mates

Mickey is the only person to obtain at least 0.5% of the votes every election since the 50's.
I hear Elvis is another that gets a few votes every year.
And did you learn that on CNN, FOX or what ever media of your choice... errr, oh wait, maybe that came from a water cooler conversation with the misinformed. Dude, come on.

If you want my opinion, which I'm sure some don't but there HAS to be someone out there to get excited to see my post in a political form...

There is a racial spin on this because there is no denying the fact that some portion of the population will make a decision to vote based with out research and education and the fact that they feel comfortable with the particular canidate and that particular candidates race.

It's pointless to vote any way but democratic or republican, because that is just a wasted vote... how many times has Nadar lost an election, and last time I checked Micky Mouse and Elvis haven't been elected either.

Obama has stuck by his voting history from what I've seen but hasn't shown much loyalty elsewhere when it hits the fan, he is inexperienced and although I think he is making promises from his own mind and ideals, I don't think once the election is over, IF he's president he will go against his advisiors and I don't see how some of the stances he is taking on things will be able to be seen through.

McCain hasn't had to campaign within his party so we've had less time to judge him, I will openly admit that he was not my choice for the party. Although I look at it as not the lesser of two evils, but who is the closest to my ideals and who do I think will make the best decisions for the country.

Each and every administration has done good and bad things for our country. Usually we don't see the impact of the current adminstration until the first term is over, unless there are extenuating circumstances. And there are reason why our government is built on the checks and balances ideal. Maybe I'm the only one who has any faith in our institution but I can imagine, 4 or 8 years from now, WHOEVER is elected, there will be some people who have changed their minds, there will be a whole other generation adding their opinion and everyone else will still be bitching about taxes and death.

I think people shy away from voting third party candidates after the election of 1992.

That being said, Vote Captain Worley! I'm forthcoming with my politics!

What will Captain Worley do about illegal immigration?

CW: Nothing.

What will Captain Worley do about the economy.

What will Capatin Worley do about high gas prices?

Captain Worley. He may not be the answer, but at least he's not another question.

(paid for by citizens for drinking CABs and taunting people about it on Friday afternoon)

I like this poll. I was able vote for both! :p

(best of both worlds or visa versa?)

By your summaries, I feel more inclined to move out of the country than to participate in this presidential vote.
Have you ever been outside the US? True we have our problems, but the US is still, by far, the best country in the world!

I'll stay even if Obama gets elected. :unitedstates:

Back