POWERBALL

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might be worth it to start buying a ticket then. Anything less than $1B is chump change
If you win, you could run for president. All you will have to do is troll and spam the media and people will love you. (kinda like here)

I ran the numbers on what the poor jerk that wins this thing will get after all is said and done.  If the website I saw was correct, the Fed gets 25% off the top of the TOTAL jackpot THEN they take 39.6% + whatever your state takes out.  SOOOO, if I were to play and win and took the cash option out of $1.3 Billion I would only take home $261 million and change.  I could still retire a bit early, but Uncle Sam really likes the fools that play the lottery.  No offense.

48140565.jpg

I think I've played powerball about a dozen times in my life.

The ladies in the neighborhood started a pool.  I think they've collected $100 for Wednesday's drawing.

I bought 3 tix, will buy 3 more, but my youngest kid we have nicknamed "Mr Papageorgio" (From Vegas Vacation) he is always lucky so I am letting him pick the numbers this time..

If I win a billion I will take the annuitized version.

I ran the numbers on what the poor jerk that wins this thing will get after all is said and done.  If the website I saw was correct, the Fed gets 25% off the top of the TOTAL jackpot THEN they take 39.6% + whatever your state takes out.  SOOOO, if I were to play and win and took the cash option out of $1.3 Billion I would only take home $261 million and change.  I could still retire a bit early, but Uncle Sam really likes the fools that play the lottery.  No offense.
IMHO "only" and $261M do not belong in the same sentence.

It was the kindest form of fool.  I don't rememeber which site and it was the first time i had heard of the extra 25%.  Just doing my best to pass along misinformation...

Um, I'll take winning the lotto for a quarter of a mil please!

Seriously, with the odds, I'd be happy winning a few thousand and up.

I wish we would win the big prize with the lotto pool at work...we would all quit, too...the whole lot of us working at this site! Maybe start our own company?

I will be happy with "only" a million.

That would take away the family dilemma. Will pay off the mortgage, my kids student loans, mine, and that is it. Will keep working though. I am sure my wife will take care of the reminder of the money in no time.
That is all too true.

Back