Post pictures of your car here

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^I remember what they had to deal with back then. That bumper rule messed up the fronts of a LOT of cars.

I think you guys are too harsh on the mid to late 70's/early 80's cars. Personally I like the '80-'81 nose.
IMHO The sylists did a pretty good job with the constrints they had to work with. You need to remember that those were the smog/gas crunch years and factory "performance" was not politically correct.
Well, they got hit with a triple whammy, really: safety, emissions, and fuel economy. Then a bad recession in 73-74 due to the Arab oil embargo, so, yeah, performance and styling were pretty low on the list. Chrysler and Ford came very, very close to going bankrupt during those years.

So, they did the best they could, but the results still sucked. I mean, my uncle's 'vette had 180hp. I have a Maxx that has 40 more hp, and could run rings around it handling-wise.

We live in an unprecedented era of performance right now. We really do.

So, they did the best they could, but the results still sucked. I mean, my uncle's 'vette had 180hp.
I have a Maxx that has 40 more hp, and could run rings around it handling-wise.
True but how much cash and effort would be required to get 300-400+ HP out of that 350? Then put your Maxx up against it.

As far as handling, you would have hoped that 20 years brought some improvements and I'd actually like to see the difference on a skid

pad. those cars were underpowered thanks ot the smog limitations, but I thought they handled great on dry pavement. Tire improvement has a lot to do with it too.

Stock late 60's and early 70's muscle had some relatively embarrassing 1/4 mile times because they couldn't hook up.

We live in an unprecedented era of performance right now. We really do.
True again, I find it kind of amazing how many real performance options a new car buyer has these days.

True but how much cash and effort would be required to get 300-400+ HP out of that 350? Then put your Maxx up against it.
Yeah, but themn yu're comparing apples and oranges. Stock vs stock, I say. Plus, it'd be less hassle just to buy something used with that sort of hp if I wanted it. Like a SN-95 Cobra or LS-1 Camaro/TransAm.

Stock late 60's and early 70's muscle had some relatively embarrassing 1/4 mile times because they couldn't hook up.
Ain't that the truth.

True again, I find it kind of amazing how many real performance options a new car buyer has these days.
Shoot, even a lot of used stuff has good HP and is cheap. Chargers, 300Cs, CTS-vs, Mustangs, GTOs...

Back