Post April 2011 Diagnostic Report scores here (xx/80) if you failed

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
50/80 FailWR-Civil

I'm switching to Transportation
Get "Transportation Engineernig" by Hoel and Garber. Plus find the answer key, it's out there on the net for purchase.

Take School of PE review courses too.

50/80 FailWR-Civil

I did the same thing and passed. Way too much Environmental/Chemistry on the WR for me. I don't do any transportation really at my job but I figured that was way easier to learn and it was. Good luck. I'm sure you'll get it next time around.

April 2011: 51/80 Civil Geotech: 27/morning

24/afternoon

October 2010: 41/80 Civil Geotech:

19/morning

22/afternoon

Obviously my afternoon section did not get much better the second time. I realized while studying the second time, after the deadline to switch, that I'm much better at the water resources than geotech so I think I'm going to switch for the October '11 exam....
April 2011: 45/80 Civil Geotech:

28/morning

17/afternoon

October 2010: 42/80 Civil Geotech:

28/morning

14/afternoon

i am good in water too but i don't know any thing about Environmental

do you think i can go without knowing Environmental.

which books we need to study.

Civil Construction - 49/80
Civil AM - 31

Construction PM - 18

At least the results are out earlier than last time. Can get a better start on it for the Fall.

From what I can see no one has gotten a 53/80 and failed (yet). I think that was the same for the Oct 2010 exam.
I was told by TXBPE 70% is passing score.

50/80=68%

51/80=69%

52 is passing score for construction
Well since my score was 51/80 construction- I feel like crap if I missed by one point.
wow, you have got to be kidding me!! I got 51/80 in Construction too, and for just one question off I have to go through all this again??? Plus the embarrasment of not passing??? I'm starting to feel like I felt when I logged on to NCEES.... like a piece of crap!!!

true, but it appears that it's not hard to figure it out based on the reported % and the highest reported fail scores as well.

50/80=68%

51/80=69%

Doubtful. 52 might be the passing score, but not because of your logic. If you were told 70 by TXBPE, it's not 70%, it's a scaled score of 70. This has been discussed many, many times on here and PPI board. The 70 is not a raw score percentage. Whatever the raw passing score is, is set to 70 and then everything is scaled off of it. That applies to every exam - all different raw passing scores are set 70. So if construction raw passing is 55 and geotech is 53 and structural is 58, they're all set at 70. But I think that even confused everyone so they just went to pass/fail. But some states have in their rules that you have to get a score, so they give you your scaled score.

Civil AM - 31

Construction PM - 18

At least the results are out earlier than last time. Can get a better start on it for the Fall.

From what I can see no one has gotten a 53/80 and failed (yet). I think that was the same for the Oct 2010 exam.

50/80=68%

51/80=69%

You guys have to understand that each individual discipline and depth have different passing rates. But 51/80 may not correlate to 69%. 69% may include a score of 52, 53, and maybe 54. One truly does not know but can guess. Now if you have a huge pool of respondents and no one responded with a score of 53, then you can say this is the passing score. But unfortunately this is a very small pool of scores to determine this.

Civil AM - 31

Construction PM - 18

50/80=68%

51/80=69%

Well since my score was 51/80 construction- I feel like crap if I missed by one point.
wow, you have got to be kidding me!! I got 51/80 in Construction too, and for just one question off I have to go through all this again??? Plus the embarrasment of not passing??? I'm starting to feel like I felt when I logged on to NCEES.... like a piece of crap!!!
why would you be embarassed by not passing? many people do not pass on the first attempt. There is no reason to be embarassed. sad and bummed are normal.

Any score they set would have people with one question off requiring them to test again...hence the benefits of Pass/Fail...then you don't have to waste time worrying

Took Civil-WR/Envir in Texas

Score of 69

50/80

30 Morning

20 Afternoon

First time I took it, I got a 35/80. Still disappointed about it slowly recovering. Purchased Goswami Reference Book, Will Buy NCEES Practice exam and sit in on some class from Testmasters (I took class for April Exam and have all the review notes).

Really hate doing this.

I felt like I had failed my first attempt by one point. That made me overconfident going into the second go round and failed spectacularly. Third time I passed. When I passed, I didn't care about the one problem I missed to not pass the first time. It is what it is.

Take it stride that you were not alone.

50/80 FailWR-Civil

Get "Transportation Engineernig" by Hoel and Garber. Plus find the answer key, it's out there on the net for purchase.

Take School of PE review courses too.

50/80 FailWR-Civil

I did the same thing and passed. Way too much Environmental/Chemistry on the WR for me. I don't do any transportation really at my job but I figured that was way easier to learn and it was. Good luck. I'm sure you'll get it next time around.
I took Civil-WR twice and failed. Thank you for your advice guys.

50/80 Construction, NY, first time...

I guess it's reassuring that I got killed on the topics I didn't have time to study...

Diag.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Civil AM - 31

Construction PM - 18

50/80=68%

51/80=69%

why would you be embarassed by not passing? many people do not pass on the first attempt. There is no reason to be embarassed. sad and bummed are normal.

Any score they set would have people with one question off requiring them to test again...hence the benefits of Pass/Fail...then you don't have to waste time worrying
It was my second time sitting for the test, so I feel bummed that I let my family down after all our sacrifices. Plus at work a couple people sat for 1st time in Transportation and passed and I was teaching/motivating them while studying (I did Construction). Anyways it shouldn't have to come down to one question, I gotta kill it in October.

Civil AM - 31

Construction PM - 18

50/80=68%

51/80=69%

sorry. you missed by one question (out of 80).

you'll nail it in Oct.

I'm confused, How in the world can anyone call 50 out of 80 equaling 70%? Face it, the failure letter comes because you didn't get enough right. It doesn't matter what the score was. In fact there are possibly questions that you MUST get right to pass.... (there are some things that you must know without spending 6 minutes to answer...) If you play your cards right, prepare, and perform adequately under pressure, then you have a chance. Remember that any overdetermined action produces its opposite. Good luck, but please stop trying to make 50 / 80 equaling 70%

1. THe passing score is not necessarily a raw score of 70%. It is a scaled score of 70. Like scoring 700 on the SAT, that isn't a percent. It could mean different percentages, although 70% is a good estimate.

2. Even if it were a percent, 52/80 is not 70%. 56/80 is 70%.

3. But it doesn't matter. If you got above 50 you're getting close. One possible explanation is that the stress and anxiety about the exam is causing you to make silly mistakes. Obviously, anynbdy with an engineering degree, an EIT, and a score of 51/80 on the PE exam knows 52/80 is not 70%. But being upset, stressed or nervous over the exam could cause them to make a mistake like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
CA - EE - Power - 1st time

1 General Power Engineering: Measurement & Instrumentation 1/6

2 General Power Engineering: Special Applications 6/8

3 General Power Engineering: Codes & Standards 5/10

4 Circuit Analysis: Analysis 8/9

5 Circuit Analysis: Devices & Power Electronic Circuits 4/7

6 Rotating Machines & Electromagnetic Devices: Rotating Machines 8/10

7 Rotating Machines & Electromagnetic Devices: Electromagnetic Devices 2/6

8 Transmissions & Distribution: System Analysis 5/9

9 Transmissions & Distribution: Power System Performance 4/7

10 Transmissions & Distribution: Protection 5/8

total = 48/80, am I even close to passing?

I completely missed on instrumentation, NEC code, & electromagnetic devices

what topics are Measurement & Instrumentation anyway?

Back