Oct 2018 Failing Scores

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
October 2018 was my first time taking the exam too. 25 for AM, 19 for PM. Transportation depth. 

I was really disappointed I didn't do better in the AM. I took the on demand course from School of PE. To be honest, I felt like I took an entirely different exam than what SOPE offered for review. I thought a lot of their material was too basic and too fundamental, especially in the Depth portion. I voiced these concerns in my feedback to them. They offer a free repeat attempt, but why go back to something that didn't work? Seriously considering EET for April exam. 

October 2018 was my first time taking the exam too. 25 for AM, 19 for PM. Transportation depth. 

I was really disappointed I didn't do better in the AM. I took the on demand course from School of PE. To be honest, I felt like I took an entirely different exam than what SOPE offered for review. I thought a lot of their material was too basic and too fundamental, especially in the Depth portion. I voiced these concerns in my feedback to them. They offer a free repeat attempt, but why go back to something that didn't work? Seriously considering EET for April exam. 
EET depth only would be a good choice for ya..

best thing I did right was putting in the time to solve problems..

What resources did you use for your practice problems? 
[Indranil_Goswami]_Civil_Engineering_PE_Practice_Exam

NCEES practice exam

SoPE workshop problems

EET practice problems

PPI - Structural 6-min Solutions

Structural Depth Practice Exams for the PE Civil Exam, 4th Edition – 2017

Civil PE Exam Breadth and Structural Depth Practice Exams and Reference Manual: 80 Morning Civil PE Practice Problems and 80 Structural Depth Practice Problems. (Core Concepts Version 2.0) 2nd Edition – 2017

Civil Engineering PE Practice Exams: 2 Full Breadth Exams – 2018

I musta done like 6-700 problems...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd avoid reading too much into the Texas percentages, those numbers always come out weird. I'm skeptical of cut scores in the 40s. 

EET depth only would be a good choice for ya..

best thing I did right was putting in the time to solve problems..
I too took the SOPE transportation for the as a repeat and failed twice. I will sign up for the EET Transportation Depth and  take PE for the 3rd time in April 2019.

@cbl14 I took the School of PE on demand course for the Mechanical HVAC exam. I agree with you. Their review for the second half of the test was not in depth enough.

For Civil/Structural I don't think I've seen someone reported 50+ cut score yet, probably it's right around 55...

Some people seem to think 70% Texas is passing, I'm skeptical as I don't think these percentages are linear (some kinda bell curve involved). Do we actually have proof of this, as in someone passed with 70% Texas?

For Civil/Structural I don't think I've seen someone reported 50+ cut score yet, probably it's right around 55...

Some people seem to think 70% Texas is passing, I'm skeptical as I don't think these percentages are linear (some kinda bell curve involved). Do we actually have proof of this, as in someone passed with 70% Texas?
70% TBPE score on their website is passing. In their regulations it states something like, "a score will be provided for the exam and a 70% will be considered passing for licensure."  Now, you brought up a good point that the score % from TBPE may not be a linear relationship to the raw scores that NCEES determines.

MYTH A passing score is 70%.

TRUTH Before results were reported as pass-fail, examinees received scaled scores. The passing raw score (different for each discipline and varying from administration to administration based on difficulty) was “set” at 70, and all scores were scaled accordingly. In 2005, NCEES voted to provide only pass-fail results. Somehow, over time, an urban legend developed and the scaled score of 70 erroneously turned into a 70% raw score being required to pass.

Source: https://www.nspe.org/resources/pe-magazine/march-2016/the-ultimate-test

Kinda related (and interesting): 

MYTH NCEES “throws questions out” of the exam, which alters the final results.

TRUTH After an exam, subject-matter experts review questions that have statistical anomalies or receive comments from examinees. If a question is found to have two correct answers, all examinees with either answer are marked correct. If a question is deemed to not have a correct answer, all examinees with any answer are marked correct.

MYTH A passing score is 70%.

TRUTH Before results were reported as pass-fail, examinees received scaled scores. The passing raw score (different for each discipline and varying from administration to administration based on difficulty) was “set” at 70, and all scores were scaled accordingly. In 2005, NCEES voted to provide only pass-fail results. Somehow, over time, an urban legend developed and the scaled score of 70 erroneously turned into a 70% raw score being required to pass.

Source: https://www.nspe.org/resources/pe-magazine/march-2016/the-ultimate-test

Kinda related (and interesting): 

MYTH NCEES “throws questions out” of the exam, which alters the final results.

TRUTH After an exam, subject-matter experts review questions that have statistical anomalies or receive comments from examinees. If a question is found to have two correct answers, all examinees with either answer are marked correct. If a question is deemed to not have a correct answer, all examinees with any answer are marked correct.
Again that means for the raw score.. so no a 56/80 is not the magic number for passing.  But the scaled score is what is provided to TBPE.  a score of "70" on TBPE's website could mean a 49/80 or any other raw score depending on the post-exam analysis NCEES performs on each exam. Whatever the passing raw cut score is (50/80 as an example) would equal a 70 on TBPE exam grade lookup.

I haven't seen any Civil/Structural that exceeded 49. That would be pretty wild to think a 50 could be passing. 

No. I bought MERM and Tim Kennedy. I also worked out few MERM practice problems. I practiced NCEES questions many times. It seems questions are harder than NCEES practice exam. 

I am thinking of buying Engr Pro guide and practice exam. Anything else you suggest? 
it is very helpful. I have the engineer Pro and the practice exam. text me : 7148642641

Back