post a photo, any photo youve taken, doesnt have to be a good one..

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still really like the looks of the F-18. This was from one of the Canadian units taking part in Red Flag this month. Cool tail markings. The pilot was a super nice guy (eh). He had been bombing ISIS in this plane last year. He emphasized how old these planes are - did Mach 1.8 when it was new, but now can only do 1.4.  Note the jet fuel leak under the plane. I wouldn't be surprised if the US fleet is in similar condition, given the lack of investment in maintenance and replacement.  

CF-18 small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
F-16 Aggressor. The pilot was saying that this is the "arctic splinter" scheme. They paint the F-16s to match current Russian camouflage schemes for more realistic training.  They have a sky blue pattern and brown patterns similar to this one, but the newer ones have hard edges instead of the soft sprayed edges between colors.

F-16 Aggressor small.jpg

I still really like the looks of the F-18. This was from one of the Canadian units taking part in Red Flag this month. Cool tail markings. The pilot was a super nice guy (eh). He had been bombing ISIS in this plane last year. He emphasized how old these planes are - did Mach 1.8 when it was new, but now can only do 1.4.  Note the jet fuel leak under the plane. I wouldn't be surprised if the US fleet is in similar condition, given the lack of investment in maintenance and replacement.  
I'm sure we need to keep coming up with new stuff to stay ahead of Russia, China and *ahem* Iran, but it's funny, all the fighting we're doing today has been with old stuff because that's what works best.  When I was in Afghanistan, the most advanced fighters on the base were some F-15's and -16's.  The vast majority of the panes on the airfield were A-10's and C-130's/C-130 gunships.  Had a lot of Apache helicopters too, which is another one that's been around for 35 years.

No argument from me on the portfolio of old vs new technology.  But how long should we allow an airframe to serve in such a critical role? Remember your mechanics of materials and the finite service life of aluminum.  The KC-135 tanker we also toured rolled off the assembly line in 1959. The B-52 might be even older. 

I'd say it's also likely due to the capital investment involved with the older defense equipment. F-15's and -16's also were not cheap. These aren't things taken out on a lease that you can just upgrade after 5-10 years. Although, the KC-135 and B-52 are probably different stories with regard to investment.

Sign says (woo) "Stay away, fools"'Cause love rules at the Love ShackWell, it's set way back in the middle of a fieldJust a funky old shack and I gotta get backGlitter on the mattressGlitter on the highwayGlitter on the front porchGlitter on the highway

Thumbs?  Or at least, that's what those islands used to be called, back when I did well logging on them in the early 90s. (off Long Beach, right?)
THUMS, but yes, Wilmington Field.  It was one of the coolest field trips that I have ever taken.

Back