Please tell me how NCEES has an A+ rating with the BBB?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Delaware had only one test center and we were less than 100 test takers.

Call me stupid (others have).... but what "equating process" do you speek of. NCEES knows the correct answers for each test. They feed the answer sheets into the machine, which has all the pertinent info on test takers and submitted answers... then this information is stored in computer database that can then have statistical analysis performed that might bring certain of the test questions into scrutiny if too many people got the same wrong answer. At that point, that question might be removed and the total would be out of 79 instead of 80. That should be the basis of the test grading. So the question still looms, why would that take so long? It's possible that the have commitees that meet and decide on the questions that have statistical issues and this is what takes the time. Or... they just sit around to see how much they can make people sweat in December.
You're probably not stupid, but you are ignorant of the grading procedures used by the NCEES. Benbo provided links from the NCEES website that clearly explains why grading PE exams involves far more than "running some scantrons through a computer."

Thank you for calling me ignorant instead of stupid :) ... but without investigating the NCEES website, my little post did sumize that they would need to do statistical analysis. I just did not take into account that they would analyze this test against others from previous years. But then again, all of this is number crunching of information stored in a database. Comarative charts and graphs get produced for each of the tests and then individuals on the NCEES board make a judgement based on that information. Unless the statistics produced some horrific numbers to deal with, then 8-10 weeks still seems pretty lengthy.

That said, I am now at 25 posts and can put my name on the board when the time comes.... hopefully tomorrow and not next July.

Call me stupid (others have).... but what "equating process" do you speek of. NCEES knows the correct answers for each test. They feed the answer sheets into the machine, which has all the pertinent info on test takers and submitted answers... then this information is stored in computer database that can then have statistical analysis performed that might bring certain of the test questions into scrutiny if too many people got the same wrong answer. At that point, that question might be removed and the total would be out of 79 instead of 80. That should be the basis of the test grading. So the question still looms, why would that take so long? It's possible that the have commitees that meet and decide on the questions that have statistical issues and this is what takes the time. Or... they just sit around to see how much they can make people sweat in December.
You're probably not stupid, but you are ignorant of the grading procedures used by the NCEES. Benbo provided links from the NCEES website that clearly explains why grading PE exams involves far more than "running some scantrons through a computer."
Problem here is that it should be as simple as running the scantron through a computer. The only additional time should be to only verify some of the scantrons to make sure they are graded correctly. All this time for the equating/statistical analysis stuff should be done when the exam is created.

You can't perform statistical analysis until after you have the statistics.... the graded tests. With that said, if all of the tests are collected and scanned within three weeks, then the statistical analysis should not take more than another 3 weeks... 6 weeks should be possible.

I do speak the truth about the A+ rating at the BBB because I looked it up out of curiousity. But like I said I thought it was funny to hear what people had to say on that.

Thank you for calling me ignorant instead of stupid :) ... but without investigating the NCEES website, my little post did sumize that they would need to do statistical analysis. I just did not take into account that they would analyze this test against others from previous years. But then again, all of this is number crunching of information stored in a database. Comarative charts and graphs get produced for each of the tests and then individuals on the NCEES board make a judgement based on that information. Unless the statistics produced some horrific numbers to deal with, then 8-10 weeks still seems pretty lengthy.
That said, I am now at 25 posts and can put my name on the board when the time comes.... hopefully tomorrow and not next July.
There's nothing wrong with being ignorant. Ignorant can be fixed. But as Ron White says, you can't fix stupid.

They run all of the scantrons through a computer when they first get them. Then they not only do statistical analysis, but they also act on that analysis to root out potentially faulty or ambiguous problems. They then have a committee look at those problems, and determine if they should be excluded from the results or not. Then, they equate the exams to make sure that the difficulty is consistent with previous exam administrations, and rescan the scantrons. Each of those steps takes time, which adds up to 8-10 weeks.

All of this information was available to you on the NCEES website before you signed up, paid, sat, and took the exam, so bitching about the length of time it is taking is ridiculous. If someone were to file a complaint with the BBB, all the NCEES would have to do is point them to the clearly stated grading policy, and the complaint would not affect the NCEES' BBB rating.

Back