Personal Boycotts

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate **** on my key ring, too. The iPhone passbook and individual store apps are remarkably convenient for that sort of thing. Almost all of them have an electronic barcode app now, and can actually come in handy for shopping lists, local sales, etc.

I personally also refuse to use self check out lines. It's an employee the store doesn't have to hire, it's more profit for them, and why should I HAVE to check myself out when I'm purchasing stuff from them? I will wait in line, and if an employee tells me that there is no waiting in the self-check out, I just say, that's okay, I'll wait and help you keep your job.
Sounds like cutting off your nose to spite your face. From an economist's point of view, your time is a sunk cost so whatever it takes to minimize transaction speed maximizes your utility. And some economists argue that self-check out creates jobs in other areas (some has to build, sell, maintain, oversee, and repair them) but I can't imagine it's nearly the number of jobs they've replaced.

My biggest complaint with self-check out is when I can't find the produce I'm trying to buy. Eggplants always seem to cause me trouble! Then I'm stuck waiting for someone to come help me out.

Bottom line for me: if I can get out quicker, I'm all for them.

I personally also refuse to use self check out lines. It's an employee the store doesn't have to hire, it's more profit for them, and why should I HAVE to check myself out when I'm purchasing stuff from them? I will wait in line, and if an employee tells me that there is no waiting in the self-check out, I just say, that's okay, I'll wait and help you keep your job.
Sounds like cutting off your nose to spite your face. From an economist's point of view, your time is a sunk cost so whatever it takes to minimize transaction speed maximizes your utility. And some economists argue that self-check out creates jobs in other areas (some has to build, sell, maintain, oversee, and repair them) but I can't imagine it's nearly the number of jobs they've replaced.

My biggest complaint with self-check out is when I can't find the produce I'm trying to buy. Eggplants always seem to cause me trouble! Then I'm stuck waiting for someone to come help me out.

Bottom line for me: if I can get out quicker, I'm all for them.
ahhh... but you forget, my time has no value right now...

I hate **** on my key ring, too. The iPhone passbook and individual store apps are remarkably convenient for that sort of thing. Almost all of them have an electronic barcode app now, and can actually come in handy for shopping lists, local sales, etc.
Congratulations! You have just given the corporate overlords access to everything on your iPhone!

I'd use an Apple product, but they are so freakin' expensive for what they are that I can't justify it.
You'd get laid more if you did use Apple products.

http://www.theregist...s_getting_more/
It says at 30. Cell phones came with big ole bags when I was thirty.

Im' talking about the nickle and dime stuff.. I dont know if its done up north but it seems every grocery store, gas station, restaurant etc has some sort of scam when you check out wanting you to donate $1 to feed the hungry or some other bull ****.. I just tell them that Obama has it covered..
I actually voted for Obama, but this is a great line! Hilarious!!!!!

I have a long list of companies and entities. Some examples are Home Depot, most movies shown in the theater (that's how Hollywood makes most of their $), Hallmark Cards, All U.S. manufactured cars except for Ford (unions and bailouts), all banks (I use credit unions), some insurance companies (Allstate, Progressive) and pretty much all the "blue" states. It would take some time for me to list them out but it's relatively simple to identify when they come up. Some of them I wouldn't be able to give specific dates, quotes and proof behind the actions that caused my boycotts but I remember generally what they did. Reasons for the boycotts are diverse but usually involve union labor, support of gun control, support of the redifinition of marriage, support of elective abortion, financial contributions to any Democrat (the NRA gets a pass), or affirmative action practices or hostility towards religion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a long list of companies and entities. Some examples are Home Depot, most movies shown in the theater (that's how Hollywood makes most of their $), Hallmark Cards, All U.S. manufactured cars except for Ford (unions and bailouts), all banks (I use credit unions), some insurance companies (Allstate, Progressive) and pretty much all the "blue" states. It would take some time for me to list them out but it's relatively simple to identify when they come up. Some of them I wouldn't be able to give specific dates, quotes and proof behind the actions that caused my boycotts but I remember generally what they did. Reasons for the boycotts are diverse but usually involve union labor, support of gun control, support of the redifinition of marriage, support of elective abortion, financial contributions to any Democrat (the NRA gets a pass), or affirmative action practices or hostility towards religion.
I like this ^^. And I wasn't even around in the sixties...

Religion in general or just yours?

Dick's is one of those places where the staff is clueless if you ask a question about a certain item. Best Buy is terrible about this too. I was comparing cell phones one time and asked what the differences are between the two phones I was looking at. The employee told me that this one is a different color than the other one.

Anyone remember when they actually used to have electrical geeks at Radio Shack that could design circuit boards and get you the equipment you needed if you told them what you wanted an electronic device to do?

^That was back when the parts they carried weren't relegated to one small section of the store.

Yeah, but I was a little kid at the time and wasn't thinking about designing a toaster. I was more interested in setting stuff on fire and burping out the alphabet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back