Personal Boycotts

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems anytime I go to wal-mart I have to wait 30 minutes just to check out. They have a sea of registers, but only two are ever open at a time.
I have left at least two fully loaded buggies in the check out line and walked out for this very same reason.

Not that I'd ever buy a Jeep or a KIA, but the commercials are so incredibly obnoxious, I want to put the remote through the f*cking screen.
JT? I didn't know he did commercials up there.

Dodgezilla was pretty funny.
Keffer is the dealer. It's a bunch of shitty 7th grade AV background graphics, and some asshat slapping his hand on a guitar wearing a fake Hank Williams Jr. beard.

McDonalds - The kids can get their happy meals, but I won't eat anything from there.
+1. Also don't eat at any of the other major fast food chains. Pretty proud of that fact.

Walmart - Same as what others have mentioned and also because by me they are pretty ghetto.

Apple - I despise their products and mindset of forcing users to only use their software with no options for open source support. Upgrade options are also almost non-existent.

+1 for credit unions too. Tis the way to go IMO as compared to large name banks.

Forgot about Apple. I won't buy anything from them simply because they are so popular.

Due to Obama and my future tax increases I'm boycotting any and all charity, I'm not giving a dollar for kids or anything at Kroger and all the other places that want your charity...
I don't understand the logic--you can deduct the donations from your taxes, so higher tax rates will save you more on your donations.

But similarly I no longer donate to Michigan institutions since our Republican governor got rid of the state tax deduction for these donations.

And +1 to Apple.

I'm about to boycott ATT! They keep messing around with my service & their support staff really SUCKS ASS!

I avoid most fast food places as it's not on my current diet; there's a few that I can get a salad from (which is fairly hard to mess up).

As to Wally World, I only get a few things from them that I cannot get elsewhere; otherwise I go elsewhere (i.e. cheapest place to get Power Service for my Diesel).

As to other boycotts, does family count? I have a few family members that I want NOTHING to do with, EVER!!

Im' talking about the nickle and dime stuff.. I dont know if its done up north but it seems every grocery store, gas station, restaurant etc has some sort of scam when you check out wanting you to donate $1 to feed the hungry or some other bull ****.. I just tell them that Obama has it covered..

I would like for the 49% of Americans who didn't vote for Barry to take 2 years off of going to see movies, buying music, itunes, etc, since probably 90% (total guess on my part) of the people in this industry are hard core Barry supporters we shouldn't give them any more dough...

I wish I had the time to make a list of the Barbara Streisand , Hanoi Jane types and the money to start such a campaign!

Forgot to add Wells Fargo. Doesn't matter what we do, we end up paying some stupid fee or hit with some sort of credit ding from them. My first experience with them was back in 1999 (or so) when Norwest Bank (my first checking account) was bought out by WF and they started charging me teller fees for making deposits. That account was quickly closed and my business has been elsewhere ever since (currently with USAA <-- very nice).

I try to keep everything I can away from WF, but the mortgage company I used to buy the house with ended up selling my loan to them (I have since refinanced with a local bank). During the refi, IMO they cost me close to $2k because they changed their policies towards how interest and mortgage insurance was charged/paid.

While having the mortgage with them, they gave me a credit card with 0% interest and a $1k limit with 5% cash back (cash only goes towards the mortgage). The 0% expires in February (rate jumps to 29%), and I will probably just cancel the card then or use it to pay bills I normally pay with my checking and paying the balance off each month (so I can still earn the cash back).

My wife's car loan was originally with Wachovia, who ultimately ended up getting bought out by WF (and consequently hitting us with a 30-days past due charge because they lost our payment during the transistion). That red mark will be on our credit report for a couple more years. We have since refinanced that car with my wife's credit union.

Bought a mattress from a local dealer with 0% financing for 12 months only to find out it's also through WF. Just waiting to see what **** they mess up with this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I quit going to Sav-A-Lot when they started charging 25 cents to rent a buggy. You got it back when you returned it, but it was a PITA, so I quit going.

They since reversed this policy, so I must not have been the only one...

^^^ I remember several grocery stores using those quarter locks. Insert quarter to unlock the buggy, get the quarter back when you re-lock it. I never remembered to keep a quarter with me when I went to the store...

the aldi's by us is that way. on the rare occassion i go there I just use my giant reusable shopping bag to hold the stuff while i am shopping since you have to pay for bags too.

Walmart - Same reasons above

apple - Same & they already have too much money

One of our local breweries - Is owned by a previous company who laid me off. I absolutely refuse to support them anymore.

I think all Aldis do that. I know both of the ones around here do.

Spirit Airlines. They have the shortest seat pitch of any airline (28"), they charge for carry on bags, and to print out your boarding pass at the airport.

Wells Fargo for the reasons already mentioned. Switched to a credit union. Best banking move ever.

Walmart for a different reason than others, used to work for the family biz that sold them seasonal stuff, after the season was over they would call in for credit or discounts on their seasonal items that didn't sell were damaged during shipping. That's how they keep their margins low; treat their employees like crap, treat their vendors like crap.

Burger King for buying South American beef. Not even sure they still do that but, they did in the 90s when we started boycotting them.

Walmart as much as possible... on occasion, I have to go there but I avoid it at all costs.

I personally also refuse to use self check out lines. It's an employee the store doesn't have to hire, it's more profit for them, and why should I HAVE to check myself out when I'm purchasing stuff from them? I will wait in line, and if an employee tells me that there is no waiting in the self-check out, I just say, that's okay, I'll wait and help you keep your job.

Bank of America will be boycotted if they every give me my money back...

I don't know that we boycott anything really. I bank with credit unions and have ever since I've had a bank account. I don't necessarily love Wally World, but I still shop there on occasion. I wouldn't use an Apple product, but my wife has an iphone and that's fine with me.

There are things I try to do when shopping such as buying in my county instead of going to Charlotte to get things so that I'm not paying sales tax to them. I try to buy things Made in the USA , but we all know how hard that can be sometimes.

Advertisements in interview style – I will change the channel/station.

Radio advertisements with the disclaimer at the start – same thing. Disclaimers and conditions should be at the end of the ad.

I won’t go anyplace with a loyalty card. I have enough stuff on my key ring and in my pockets. Force me to carry something to get the sale prices and I won’t go there at all.

I won’t go anyplace with a loyalty card. I have enough stuff on my key ring and in my pockets. Force me to carry something to get the sale prices and I won’t go there at all.
I used to try and do that, but it is next to impossible, unless you are a Rockefeller or carnegie. So I just make up fake name/address/phone numbers.

I'd use an Apple product, but they are so freakin' expensive for what they are that I can't justify it.

I used to try and do that, but it is next to impossible, unless you are a Rockefeller or Carnegie. So I just make up fake name/address/phone numbers.
We have a regional chain here called Meijer. Between the Meijer, local IGA grocer and online purchases, I can get pretty much everything I need at a good price, without a loyalty card.

Back