Pennsylvania Education - MS in Mech with BS in Math

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamgram

Reaction score
Hello I have a question about getting registered in PA. I have a degree in Mathematics and 4 years experience as a Designer working under a PE. For the past year I have been taking night classes in an ABET accredited Mechanical Engineering program with the intention of getting my PE after graduating. I took the FE exam (out of state) last weekend.

I came across a Master's program in Engineering that I may qualify for without finishing my second Bacholer's degree. They say they may accept students with related degrees (such as math) under the condition that they take specified undergraduate classes in addition to the requirements for the Master's degree, at least some of which I have taken over the past year. I am very interested in applying to this program, but I am worried about how it will affect my qualification for taking the PE exam.

The Pennsylvania law states that candidates must have an ABET BS degree to qualify as an Engineer in Training, and 4 years of experience after passing the FE to take the PE. If I have an EIT certification from another state (New Hampshire, which does not require any degree to become an E.I.T.), then by the letter of the law I could? qualify to take the PE without any degree in another 4 years (since it says 4 years after the EIT, not 4 years after the degree). But that doesn't seem right to me, and if I do the Master's program in 4 years time I will have a Master's degree in Engineering, 4 years experience as an E.I.T., but no ABET accredited BS degree. The Master's program is at Villanova, whose BS engineering degrees are ABET accredited. So, if I do this, when can I take the PE?

Hello I have a question about getting registered in PA. I have a degree in Mathematics and 4 years experience as a Designer working under a PE. For the past year I have been taking night classes in an ABET accredited Mechanical Engineering program with the intention of getting my PE after graduating. I took the FE exam (out of state) last weekend.
I came across a Master's program in Engineering that I may qualify for without finishing my second Bacholer's degree. They say they may accept students with related degrees (such as math) under the condition that they take specified undergraduate classes in addition to the requirements for the Master's degree, at least some of which I have taken over the past year. I am very interested in applying to this program, but I am worried about how it will affect my qualification for taking the PE exam.

The Pennsylvania law states that candidates must have an ABET BS degree to qualify as an Engineer in Training, and 4 years of experience after passing the FE to take the PE. If I have an EIT certification from another state (New Hampshire, which does not require any degree to become an E.I.T.), then by the letter of the law I could? qualify to take the PE without any degree in another 4 years (since it says 4 years after the EIT, not 4 years after the degree). But that doesn't seem right to me, and if I do the Master's program in 4 years time I will have a Master's degree in Engineering, 4 years experience as an E.I.T., but no ABET accredited BS degree. The Master's program is at Villanova, whose BS engineering degrees are ABET accredited. So, if I do this, when can I take the PE?
I don't think you'll be able to get your license in Kentucky. People were denied after getting their BS (at the time was not accredited) from University of Louisville and not their Master (which is accredited).

best advice is to call the state board directly and explain your situation. they are truely the ones who can give you the most accurate information

best advice is to call the state board directly and explain your situation. they are truely the ones who can give you the most accurate information
The state board declined to answer my question, saying that they could not evaluate an applicant without of official application and they cannot speculate on future credentials.

Back