PE RESULTS

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michigan Results are out.

Passed PE - Electrical - Power

kaydee253,

Any suggestions on study habits or review courses? This is kicking my tail. I have been out of school for a number of years, have a new baby and just changed jobs...all excuses, but makes it difficult to study...

Anyone?
My best suggestion is take Testmasters review course, you will see the difference!

kaydee253-- OK, you need to take a prep course. The NSPE web site states that an individual that has been out of school for some time will do better with a prep course. I don't have one to recommend, I see that there are some recommended ones on this thread.

You really need to dedicate the time to this, irrespective of a new baby or new job. I am serious-- I know, theoretically, how tough it is with both, however, this task is doable-- tough, but doable. You may need to get some help from spouse/family members regarding the new baby and its maintenance. Probably need to devote about 25 hours a week to this task. OK, sounds tough--- well, perhaps, however, you only need to do it one more time and it will be done. Perhaps getting a maid to help clean the house 1X a week will help. Maybe your boss will give you a couple hours a week at work to hit this hard.

Go to NCEES web site and review, really review the test specifications. Make sure that you understand each section of the test specifications and you understand the sub elements under each specification. You may need to get some more books to help you through this. Recall, what is being tested for is the "minimally competent" engineer-- the C- student. The test is designed to be completed in 6 minutes per problem. Some questions can be answered by inspection, provided you know the material. Other questions might take 10-12 minutes to solve-- however, each question, on the average, is designed to be completed in 6 minutes.

There is a thread on here about members with babies. That might give you some more information. We never had children, so, note, I stated, categorically above, theoretically!!!

Don't give up-- this is perfectly doable and you will be a success! However, a good review course in your discipline and working 10000's of problems will be of benefit. You should be able to look at the question and know what they are asking. IF you are not able to do that, then you will need to work until such time that you are able, by inspection, to answer the question.

Good Luck.

Agreed. Totally do able. Persistence! And willingness to bang your head against the wall until the task at hand is accomplished. That said... crap! I hope I can quit banging my head against the wall! Have not checked results yet.

My 2 cents, you are in the exact same position I was in last year at this time...close to passing but just short...I'm not sure how long or how much you studied or what kind of distractions you had but for me the wife wasn't much help, the nights I did study was one distraction after another. Find somewhere you are comfortable studying, for me it was my office, I'd stay after work and study until 8 or 9pm 3 times a week and once on weekends. You have references but did you tab them, I went thru each book and made my own tabs with flags and a sharpie. I bought the NEC tab set too. You probably did a few practice tests, but which ones and how many times? Get the CI, spin up and ncees tests and make a binder tabbed by section of notes and formulas that you use to do these tests. Do them over and over until you can do a CI or NCEES test at 95% and under 3 hours for a whole test...this may be overkill but it gets you used to your references and builds a binder that you are familiar with not someone else's work. The exam isn't hard, but it makes sure you know the material or more importantly how to find the information in a quick manner in your references. If you had a really weak section maybe you need a different reference book for it. I had a highly recommended motors book my first go round but did horrible on that part so I got a different book, which I found like 3 questions word for word answers in my second time, maybe the other book was the same and I didn't find it, maybe not...

Any idea when California survey and seismic results are released? Just passed NCEES structural exam. Probably I'll fail the survey. :juggle:

Michigan Results are out.

Passed PE - Electrical - Power

kaydee253,

Any suggestions on study habits or review courses? This is kicking my tail. I have been out of school for a number of years, have a new baby and just changed jobs...all excuses, but makes it difficult to study...

Anyone?

NWARLZ.. I didn't take any review courses. Just PPI2Pass books and NEC reference book. I used Mike Holt's NEC book for prep. Spent not more than 2-3 hours every day studying. Sometimes, 30-45 mins during lunch.

Florida results release. Civil Transportation passed !!!! yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Thanks for the suggestions. I have no intention of giving up. I have a fairly substantial amount of resource material. I have put in a ridiculous amount of time and felt good after the exam. I had plenty of time to review my exam. I think I just need to work more, more and more problems. I have the NCEES study exam, the Spin-Up exam, and three of the CI exams. All tabbed and indexed. I have a huge binder, tabbed and indexed, with tons of equations, and examples. I have Power Sys Anal - Stevenson, Schaum's Outline, Elec Mach and Drives - Wildi, Electric Machinery - Chapman, Elec Power Dist - Turan Gonen, and a few I can't think of right now. All tabbed, all familiar. I had a good nights rest and a good breakfast. I just can't put my finger on why I didn't pass. well, other than the obvious.

For which state? I think NCEES is incharge of the results, in coordination with the particular state. I believe PCS is only associated with the testing. They collect and send the results to NCEES. I dont think NCEES sends the results back to PCS..Thats such a time wasting process

NY is out!!!! And I failed - EE Electronics... First time... :hang:

Gotta try again... Ugh...

NY is out!!!! And I failed - EE Electronics... First time... :hang:

Gotta try again... Ugh...
Oh Boy! mjco04, better luck next time. Alteast you know now how to get it right the next time...Now I am scared!

Back