PE recommendations in California

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Hough

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have searched all over and i cant seem to find a clear cut answer to this question; Do my references need to be registered PEs for me to get my license?

I have 4 years of work experience that CERTAINLY qualifies as engineering work. Unfortunately, i work for a very small company and we have no registered engineers on our staff. Are there any caveats to this requirement? Can I have done projects for clients that have their PE and use them as recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Eric

Eric, yes they need to be registered PE. They should know you also because they would be required to fill-up a form certifiying that they know you.

Good luck

Hello all,
I have searched all over and i cant seem to find a clear cut answer to this question; Do my references need to be registered PEs for me to get my license?

I have 4 years of work experience that CERTAINLY qualifies as engineering work. Unfortunately, i work for a very small company and we have no registered engineers on our staff. Are there any caveats to this requirement? Can I have done projects for clients that have their PE and use them as recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Eric

Hello all,

Thanks in advance,

Eric
Eric,

All four of your references need to licensed engineers in the discipline for which you are applying. Not all of the references have to certify to being in responsible charge of your claimed work experience. For example and something that arises many times with employees of small firms, one of two of your references will be the owner, corporate officer and/or in responsible charge covering the full extent of your claimed qualifying engineering experience. If that is the case, the remaining references can be licensed co-workers or other licensed engineers that are familiar with your experience and feel comfortable certifying that you are ready to a licensed professional. It really is a case by case review.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me at [email protected] and I will make sure you receive a response.

Ric Moore, PLS

Executive Officer

California Board

Hello all,

Thanks in advance,

Eric
To me, it is clear from the PE application form that your references must be licensed. http://www.pels.ca.gov/pubs/forms/peappform.pdf "These individuals should be licensed as Professional Engineers in the discipline for which you are applying".

But on the engagement form (assuming Civil) instructions, it isn't as clear. http://www.pels.ca.gov/applicants/civilpe_...ctions_2010.pdf "Individuals who are applying for licensure as a Civil Engineer may submit references only from licensed Civil Engineers or from individuals exempt from licensure as a Civil Engineer." What I don't understand is: "individuals exempt from licensure". What does that mean?

Hello all,

Thanks in advance,

Eric
To me, it is clear from the PE application form that your references must be licensed. http://www.pels.ca.gov/pubs/forms/peappform.pdf "These individuals should be licensed as Professional Engineers in the discipline for which you are applying".

But on the engagement form (assuming Civil) instructions, it isn't as clear. http://www.pels.ca.gov/applicants/civilpe_...ctions_2010.pdf "Individuals who are applying for licensure as a Civil Engineer may submit references only from licensed Civil Engineers or from individuals exempt from licensure as a Civil Engineer." What I don't understand is: "individuals exempt from licensure". What does that mean?
I read this a couple years ago so the definition may have been updated... Except industries are: government employees, aerospace, or telecommunications.

Hello all,

Thanks in advance,

Eric

I read this a couple years ago so the definition may have been updated... Except industries are: government employees, aerospace, or telecommunications.
That still makes no sense to me. I am a government employee (I work for a city) and I certainly don't consider myself as except from needing a PE license nor would I dare sign another applicant's reference/engagement form without my PE.

And, for civil anyway, an applicant couldn't use an aerospace or telecommunications engineer (even if they had their PE) as a reference anyway. So why is it even on the civil engagement form? Very confusing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,

Thanks in advance,

Eric

That still makes no sense to me. I am a government employee (I work for a city) and I certainly don't consider myself as except from needing a PE license nor would I dare sign another applicant's reference/engagement form without my PE.

And, for civil anyway, an applicant couldn't use an aerospace or telecommunications engineer (even if they had their PE) as a reference anyway. So why is it even on the civil engagement form? Very confusing.
Agreed, you should not have references outside of your industry, since they would not be familiar with your work. When you said you wouldn't use aerospace engineers or telecom engineers, you are probably correct. However, I was talking engineers in an specific industry, not a specific job within that industry. Let's assume that in the aerospace industry there are facilities engineering jobs, perhaps who's responsibilities would fall into the "civil/structural" discipline, such as designing rigs for supporting aircraft. Well a PE is certainly not required to do this type of work (because you don't have to go through plan check) perhaps said engineer want to pursue it. In that case he can have his supervisor be a reference for the type of work he does.

Back