PE application California

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSG

SSG, P.E.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I passed my PE exam in April and I had taken it in the state of California. Since I had taken my FE in New York, I had to send a request to NY board to confirm my credentials. I was very impressed that NCEES had made the process centralized, making it very simple. 

But today I got an email from my evaluator from CA asking me to send certified transcripts for all relevant degrees.  ☹️

Does that mean, if I end up moving to another state, I will still have to keep contacting my university (which is always a hassle) asking them to send my transcripts to the specific board? 

Since I could take my FE in NY, only after my credentials were approved, doesn't that mean I have already met the requirement?  

Because you mention that the CA Board is asking for your certified transcripts, I'm guessing you are applying for licensure as a CA P.E. Is this correct?

If so, the fact that the CA Board is asking for the transcripts is a typical part of the application for licensure. It cannot be guaranteed that there will be the same requirements for licensure in any other state, as all states have their own requirements for P.E. licensure. It also might differ for you if you are applying via comity, being already in possession of a CA P.E. license. You'd really have to look up the specific requirements with each state you are considering applying for licensure in, and submit whatever they ask for.

Additionally, I'd disregard that because you already have passed the FE Exam, that you do not need to prove to the CA Board that you went to an ABET-accredited college and got a degree in whatever type of engineering (assuming that is your situation). You can technically take and pass the FE exam before you have graduated (at least, I was able to in 2011). So assuming it hasn't changed, how does that prove that you necessarily graduated with your degree, vs. just dropping out right before you graduated?

Back