Passing Score

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still have a hard time believing 70% didn't pass. I guess that means the test was "easier" this year than previous years.
This was my first time taking my exam but I tell u the Chemical afternoon was anything BUT EASY!

Here is an interesting question I have always wondered. Obviously the thread originated with a failing score for the Civil Transpo. I wonder how the numbers vary when dealing with the other disciplines. Obviously the morning is the morning. I would be interested to see the PM portions. I took WR for example. I wonder if the numbers are the same or a few points in either direction for the other disicplines.

Was 70% for passing just an educated guess everyone was going with or is it written someplace that 70% is the line?

I think it was based on the fact that if you search the boards, nobody has ever posted a 56/80 as a failing score.

I think it was based on the fact that if you search the boards, nobody has ever posted a 56/80 as a failing score.
and the fact that previous years have probably showed lower passing scores than 56/80. I guess that means the difficulty of the exam can fluctuate each time.

I'm a veteran test taker, and long time lurker on here. Bombed the first time, then two fail 54/80 scores. Michigan, Civil, Transportation. The Results Pending since yesterday afternoon is killing me. Seeing the 56/80 as failing also has me worried...my chin is still up tho!

Yoopermike, I was in the your same shoes until yesterday...the fourth time was the charm. I wish the same for you!!!

I still have a hard time believing 70% didn't pass. I guess that means the test was "easier" this year than previous years.
As a repeat tester - yes, this test seemed significantly easier. Lots of look up questions.

That is true, in the past nobody failed with 56/80. As a matter of fact in Oct. 2012 the passing was around 54/80 and in Oct. 2013 it was around 56/80.

I believe since the Civil/Transportation this time was much easier compared to the past exams, therefore the cutoff might have been higher this time.

I am sure you might have missed with 1 or 2 marks, the cutoff this time might have been 58/80. But don't lose hope jharkis , you were so close this time, you will definitely make it next time. Take it in a +ve way, you will get another opportunity to brush up the Civil/Transportation engineering concepts.

Also, please delete your diagnostic report from this forum, we are not allowed to post our reports on any public forum as per ncees agreement, they are very strict these days.

My previous scores were a 62% and a converted score of 64. The year with the 64 it said 70 was needed to pass. The other year when a percentage was given there was no passing score provided.

Fingers crossed for this year!

I'm a veteran test taker, and long time lurker on here. Bombed the first time, then two fail 54/80 scores. Michigan, Civil, Transportation. The Results Pending since yesterday afternoon is killing me. Seeing the 56/80 as failing also has me worried...my chin is still up tho!
Good luck!

Back