Passed the PE? How dd you do it?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exam taken:

Power October 2013

Educational background:

BSEE - In Oil & Gas Industry with 7 years experience

How long did you study?

Started studying in June, doing about an hour a night 5 nights a week. Upped that to 2 hours a night in August, 4 nights a week. 2 hours a night, 5 days a week + a few hours on Saturday in September. Then as much as I possibly could in October - 3+ hours 4-5 nights a week, plus 8+ hours on Saturdays and Sundays studying with a small group, which I think helped me more than anything

Did you take a prep course? If so, which one?

Took Testmasters in Houston. It helped, but I was glad I had studied prior to taking the class. I would have been lost the first weekend if I hadn't already put in quite a few hours. I dont know that I would recommend it to friends. I had friends who took GaTech and liked it a lot, and I used a few of their videos and their notebook occasionally and thought it was just as good as Testmasters but half the price.

State:

TX

List of materials you brought into the exam:

Testmasters Notebook, My own notebook of formulas and worked problems, NEC Handbook (absolutely necessary to get the CURRENT handbook IMO), CI and Spinup Exams (all solved in my own handwriting), GaTech Binder, NESC (glad I took that with me, even if I hadnt studied it at all), Power Systems Analysis, Electrical Drives book by Wildi

List of mateirals you think you should have brought but didn't:

I literally brought everything I had ever used. I had a lot of books. I dont think this is a bad thing as long as you are able to control yourself. I knew I didnt have a lot of time on each problem, so I worked 95% of time out of my first 4 books listed above. I hadn't studied much out of Power Systems Analysis or Electrical Drives, but I did use them on the test for a couple of questions at the end when I was just searching for ANYTHING that would help with my last few problems. Turns out it was a good decision as both books helped me solve a problem or two. Every point counts!

General advice:

1. Study early, Study often. I studied probably 125-140 hours, then 60+ for Testmasters.

2. Control yourself during the test. Half of the test is being able to calm down and not freak out when you don't have a clue what the problem is asking. If I felt myself panic at all during a problem, I skipped it and came back to it later, slowed down, took a breath, and really tried to figure out the basics to the problem.

3. Don't get carried away searching through all of your material on the test. Stick to a couple of books, and use your other books at the end if you have time.

4. Make a study group! Even if it is just one other person to keep you accountable. I didn't study with anyone for 95% of my study time, but I had a friend at work and we would call each other every morning to talk about what we studied the night before. Just a quick 5 minute conversation, but it helped keep us both accountable and it was slightly embarrassing if I skipped a night to admit it the next morning. It got me studying a lot of nights that I wouldn't have otherwise. We studied as a small group (3 people) Saturday and Sunday the last month and we all learned a lot doing practice tests together.

5. Make your own formula sheet, even if you have a formula sheet from a friend or past test-taker. If you don't know your formula sheets inside and outside, you will not pass the test.

6. Early in your studying time, study things that interest you or are applicable to your job. It will keep you going when it is difficult to get started. Save the boring subjects for a little while later when you are struggling but have a study partner that can help motivate you.

7. The day before the test, get your things packed early in the day and spend the afternoon doing something you enjoy! I watched a couple of movies and relaxed, then spent the night in a hotel close to the testing facility. I figured if I didn't know the material by that point, it was already too late. It helped me calm down and helped me to sleep better that night knowing I had spent time that day making sure I had everything I needed the next morning.

8. Work your freaking butt off! It is worth it! Put in the time early on, study as much as you possibly can, and it will pay off!

Good luck to those of you who are just about to start studying. Read all the review material you can, and work every problem you can get your hands on. You can do it! I was very nervous going in, and I didn't feel like I knew very much material at all when I started studying. I put in my hours and ended up with an 88 on the test. If I can do it, anyone can.

I dont think the NESC is required. I would just get a copy of the table of contents, and know what the NESC covers. If you have the GTech Binder, its included in that. I wouldnt waste time going through the NESC book.

Exam taken: Oct 2013

Educational background: BSEE, MSEE, MBA

How long did you study? About 2 months, maybe 100 hours Total including GTech Class

Did you take a prep course? If so, which one? Gtech

State: OK

List of materials you brought into the exam: NEC W/tabs (I dont know if tabs are really needed), GTech Binder, Power System Analysis (Grainger), Electrical Machines, Drives and Power Systems (Wildi), My personal equation page, and some random things off the web(Econ Charts, Lighting Reference), NCEES Test, CI 1-4.

List of materials you think you should have brought but didn't: I think I brought everything I needed. I used every one of my references for at least one problem(some for only 1). And There was only maybe 1-2 problems that I couldn't find some reference to, but they were very off the wall to begin with, so I don't think having another 2-3 books would have helped on them.

General advice: Don't Panic. Even if you think you did terrible on one of the sections you might be ok. I thought I didnt do so hot on the second section, but I passed.

Exam taken:

Power October 2013

Educational background:

BSEE - In Oil & Gas Industry with 4 years experience

How long did you study?

Started studying in August, doing about an hour a night 4 nights a week after work. As it got closer to October, I started spending more time each day thinking about problems working a couple in my free time. I spent all of early October doing practice problems solo and with friends.

Did you take a prep course? If so, which one?

No, but I had an old test masters course book to look at.

State:

TX

Testmasters Notebook with my own notes, NEC Handbook, CI and Spinup Exams (all solved in my own handwriting), GaTech Binder, NESC

General advice:

1. Study early, Study often. Make a study schedule / calendar before you start. It will help you stay on track and keep pace.

2. Number the problems from 1 to 3 (according to difficulty) and NEC/NESC before you begin to work. It will help if you can do all of the NEC/NESC questions at once, then the problems from easy to hard. I was able to finish each test portion about 2 hours early with that method. (Including checking answers)

3. The Casio fx-115ex calculator is the shit. If you have a TI, I'd recommend picking up one or two of these. It is best to take 2 or 3 calculators into the exam in case disaster strikes.

4. You can't place a watch or anything else besides testing material on the desk, so make sure you have something comfortable enough to wear through the exam.

5. Earplugs were helpful to me. It gets loud with so many people flipping through test and research material.

6. Make sure you dont have any loose piece of paper. You can get ejected if something falls out of your binder.

7. I took the day before the exam off to rest my brain, gather my material, pack my suitcase full of binders and prepare my anu...mind.

***MOST IMPORTANTLY Pack a cooler of beer to tailgate in the parking lot after the test. Trust me.

Ended up with an 83 on my first attempt. I was study buddy to the AggieELEN poster, above. It was nice to be able to bounce questions off of other people instead of relying on google or message boards exclusively. Try to find someone else in your company that is either taking or has recently taken the exam to use .

Exam taken: Oct 2013

Educational background: BSEE

How long did you study? About 10 days, maybe 40-80 hours.Started watching some of the GaTech class, but felt like I was wasting my time. Started working sample problems two Mondays before the test and didn't study on the weekend. Studied half a day the Thursday before and took the rest of that day to myself to relax and have a beer.

Did you take a prep course? No.

List of materials you brought into the exam: NEC 2011 with 10 or so sticky notes I stuck in for looking things up, Power Reference Manual from ppi2pass (didn't use it ever studying or on the test), NCEES Practice problems and solutions, ppi2pass practice book, CI 1-4 problems and solutions (never used to study or on the test), Power System Analysis and Design by Glover (used during study and on the test, happy with this book), 5-6 pages of equations needed to solve sample problems, and some charts from the web (econ, capacitor correction, etc).

List of materials you think you should have brought but didn't: Didn't need anything else and more would have just slowed me down.

General advice: I'm terrible at studying, but test very well and retain information quickly and easily. Most probably won't find success with my method, but it hasn't ever let me down once. I was more worried that it would than I ever have been, but I feel I did very well on the exam. Shame OK doesn't give you your score.

Exam taken: Electrical Power

Educational background: BSEE, Oregon State University Dec., 2008

How long did you study? 1 month (somewhere between 50-60 hours). Because of the many hats I wear at my job, I didn't need to study as much as someone who specialized in one aspect of Power Engineering.

Did you take a prep course? No

State: Oregon

NEC 2011

NESC

Electric Machinery and Power System Fundamentals by Chapman

Complex Imaginary practice test I & II

NCEES Practice test

Westinghouse Redbook (I didn't use this)

Spin Up free problems of the week

And a Binder Organized by sections from the NCEES outline with Equations, PDF's from the web, pages scanned from text books etc.. (This was my GO TO reference that I used for 99% of the test)

I wish that I had brought Cooper Power Systems: Electrical Distribution-System Protection. It would have given me confidence in my answer on three for four problems.

General advice:

Like others have said, MAKE a Binder organized by the subjects listed in the NCEES outline and start putting equations, pages from pdf's from the web (or the whole document if may come in handy), scanned pages from books etc. Don't put too much in because then it defeats the purpose a quick look-up source. Then start taking the practice exams and KNOW where the information is located. If something wasn't in there, I would make a note of it and add that information later either from a book or google. A large part of my study was practice tests and making my bible.. I mean binder.

Btw, I found a good collection of notes off of this site somewhere. I had to email the girl that put it together and she provided me the link to download it. I just built off of those notes.

Educational background: BSEE 1990

How long did you study? 500+ hours

Did you take a prep course? If so, which one? No prep course

List of materials you brought into the exam: NEC, NESC, 2 Electrical Books, Notes I put together

List of materials you think you should have brought but didn't: n/a

General advice: It had been many years since I studied like I studied for this exam so I had some catching up to do. There are no short-cuts in this exam. You have to study all the knowledge areas. Memorize information, work problems, know where to find additional info in the books. Will need to use all resources to pass the exam. Shoot for 100% score. Answer each question as if you had to have the correct answer. Get Kaplan, Complex Imaginary, Spin up, and NCEES. Work every problem until you can get 95% scores. Lots of errors in the practice exams, when you can identify the errors or identify there is something wrong with the answer then you are starting to get it. Took me 2 tries to pass the exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exam Taken: Electrical and Electronics Oct. 2013

Educational Background: BSEE & MSEE

How Long Did You Study: About 3 months, probably a total of 150 hours

Did you take a prep course: No

State: Michigan

Materials:

1) Camara - Electrical & Electronics Manual

2) Sedra & Smith - Microelectronic Circuits

3) Schaum's Manuals - Analog & Digital Communications, Electromagnetics, Signals & Systems, Electric Circuits

4) Big Binder of Notes

5) NCEES practice exams

6) Camara Practice Exam

7) Kaiser Sample Exam

Materials should have brought but didn't: Nothing, brought too much

General Advice:

Don't try to cram for the exam, start early and take it easy so you don't overload yourself. Make sure you mind your units and assemble a useful binder of notes that you know pretty much by heart. It'll save you time on the test if you already know a large portion of your notes on what you've been studying. Get as many NCEES sample exams as you can. The older ones are still useful even though some of the questions are identical to the latest one. The NCEES exams are the only thing that was similar to the actual test for questions.

congratulation to all who passed their PE exam. Is there away that you can supply me with your equation sheet that you populated for the test (Power section) it will be really appreciated. you can email it to ([email protected])

I just failed the Oct, 2013 exam. and if I don't pass the April 2014 exam, there is a big chance of losing my Job.

so any help will be very much appreciated.

congratulation to all who passed their PE exam. Is there away that you can supply me with your equation sheet that you populated for the test (Power section) it will be really appreciated. you can email it to ([email protected])

I just failed the Oct, 2013 exam. and if I don't pass the April 2014 exam, there is a big chance of losing my Job.

Sorry to hear that. Your best bet is to do your own formula/reference book. Take the practice exams to find out what info your binder needs to include. If you run into a problem that you don't know how to solve or you don't have the necessary info in your binder, look it up, print the info and stick it in your binder. After you finish all the practice exams, organize the info in the binder in a logical way. Use color coded tabs to help you find the info quickly. Highlight the important stuff. Redo the practice tests until you score in the high 90's and you will pass the test. Good luck!

How close were you to passing? I did not pass the April but passed the Oct exam. You can do it, just need to dig in the practice exams and NEC book.

How long did you study? 1 month (somewhere between 50-60 hours). Because of the many hats I wear at my job, I didn't need to study as much as someone who specialized in one aspect of Power Engineering.

NEC 2011

NESC

NCEES Practice test

And a Binder Organized by sections from the NCEES outline with Equations, PDF's from the web, pages scanned from text books etc.. (This was my GO TO reference that I used for 99% of the test)

I wish that I had brought Cooper Power Systems: Electrical Distribution-System Protection. It would have given me confidence in my answer on three for four problems.

General advice:

Like others have said, MAKE a Binder organized by the subjects listed in the NCEES outline and start putting equations, pages from pdf's from the web (or the whole document if may come in handy), scanned pages from books etc. Don't put too much in because then it defeats the purpose a quick look-up source. Then start taking the practice exams and KNOW where the information is located. If something wasn't in there, I would make a note of it and add that information later either from a book or google. A large part of my study was practice tests and making my bible.. I mean binder.

Btw, I found a good collection of notes off of this site somewhere. I had to email the girl that put it together and she provided me the link to download it. I just built off of those notes.
can you send me the link to the notes !! thanks!

[SIZE=10.5pt]Exam taken:[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt] Power October 2013 (1st time)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Educational background:[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt] BSEE (Power) - 2004[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]How long did you study:[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt] 3 hrs. daily for 3 months. Approx. 5hrs on Saturdays[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Did you take a prep course? [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]No[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]State: [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]CA[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]List of materials you brought into the exam:[/SIZE] [SIZE=11pt]Self-made binder, NEC, CI (1-4), NCEES exam, Camera Sample Exam[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]List of materials you think you should have brought but didn't: [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]NEC Handbook[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]General advice:[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=10.5pt]Practice all the available tests – CI (4), Spin Up (5), Camera Sample Exam (2), NCEES (1). Practice again and again. Make sure you understand the concepts while practicing.[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=10.5pt]Make a good note and convert it into a binder as you work through the problems.[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=10.5pt]Get thoroughly acquainted with NEC.[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=10.5pt]Have good reference books and stick to them, do not get carried away.[/SIZE]

Not sure if one of these threads has already been made, but I thought this would be helpful. Perhaps people can reply in this fashion, such that future readers may find it easy to see the information they are looking for.

Exam taken: October, 2013 (first attempt)

Educational background: B. Tech (EE), 2006

How long did you study? Took the week leading up to the exam off from work and studied about ten hours per day for five days.

Did you take a prep course? If so, which one? No prep course.

State: WA

List of materials you brought into the exam: NEC, NCEES Sample Exam, PPI PE Prep Package, Complex Imaginary (1~4), NESC - 2007, an old motors book from school (can't remember the title), and a formula book made from the FE Reference Handbook along with other common formulas, code references, and notes.

List of mateirals you think you should have brought but didn't: I was confident with the package I put together and it worked for me! :)

General advice:

- As previously mentioned, know how to navigate through the NEC.

- Do plenty of practice problems, then do some more.

- If you get rattled during the exam, move on to something that's a slamdunk for you instead of spinning your wheels!

I am currently organizing all of the books I used in the exam. Will post once I find them all!

Exam taken: OCT 13

Educational background: BSEE

How long did you study?: 4 months, approx an hour on weekdays and 6 hours on weekends

Did you take a prep course? Yes If so, which one? Georgia Tech

State: HI

List of materials you brought into the exam: GA Tech binder, NEC Handbook, Camara Reference Manual, CI Practice Problems, Econ tables from FE ref manual

General advice:

-Creating an index for all of my reference materials helped me tremendously. When I encountered a problem that was similar to one in my references. I knew exactly where to look and it saved a lot of time.

-I would also suggest bringing a small roll in luggage to carry all of your reference materials. The fellow next to me brought in plastic crates and placed them on his desk. He placed the crates on their sides with the opening facing toward him. He had all of his books and binders labeled and was able to create a reference bookshelf.

-Skip the problems you dont know and save them for the end.

-Remember to stretch, breathe and relax during the exam.

NEC 2011

NESC

NCEES Practice test

General advice:

I can't send you a message for some reason, but if you message me your email I can send over the link.

NEC 2011

NESC

NCEES Practice test

General advice:

I can't send you a message for some reason, but if you message me your email I can send over the link.
Warning: That girl mentioned above who put those notes together violated copyright infringement laws. Think twice about borrowing (stealing) someone else's material.

NEC 2011

NESC

NCEES Practice test

General advice:

Warning: That girl mentioned above who put those notes together violated copyright infringement laws. Think twice about borrowing (stealing) someone else's material.
wow!!!! :unsure: forget about this girl's notes!!! i don't want to get into any kind of trouble!!!

Exam taken: October 2013

Educational background: BSEE 2009, work as design engineer for power equipment manufacturer

How long did you study? 6 months! I knew I'd need some time to review basics. Probably 300-350 hrs dedicated

Did you take a prep course? If so, which one? Nope

State: LA

John A. Camara; Power Reference Manual for the Electrical and Computer PE Exam

Complex Imaginary Complete Set (Volumes 1-4)

Spinup exams, 2nd edition

Homemade Exam 3-ring binder

NCEES practice test

2011 NEC handbook with tabs

NESC (latest edition)

Machines, Drives, and Power System by Wildi

Handbook of Electric Power Calculations by Beaty

Eng economics book from college (didn't use)

Calculus book (didn't need it)

AC/DC circuits book (actually used it)

List of materials you think you should have brought but didn't:

None, did leave my snacks in the truck after lunch though :(

General advice:

- Stay calm, really understand what they are asking. I heard this before the test but actually got rattled for the first time in an exam! Just breathe and come back to it if it isn't clear the first time.

- If there is an element that you don't quite understand on a practice exam, make sure you master it... B/c you may need to b able to apply a variation of it on the real deal.

- circle or underline key parts of questions that you may take for granted (frequency, 1 or 3 phase, kva,kW, or Kvar). This saved my at least 3-4 questions

- don't leave early if you haven't reworked every problem or a detailed double check of each. Again saved me about 3-4 questions.

Good luck!

Exam taken: April 2013 - passed

Educational background: MSEE

How long did you study? Two years, I cannot state exactly how many hours per week, I just studied a lot.

Did you take a prep course? If so, which one? No prep course

State: VA

List of materials you brought into the exam: 2011 NEC, three binders with notes, solved problems, and discussions on all of the subjects that are listed in the front of the NCEES Electrical Power sample questions + solutions, November 2010 printing of the "Electrical and Computer" Power Sample Questions + Solutions", Schaum's "Electrical Power Systems", Schaum's " Electric Machines and Electromechanics", EC&M's "Electrical Calculations Handbook", "Handbook of Electric Power Calculations" by H. Wayne Beaty, "Power System Analysis" by Grainger and Stevenson.

List of mateirals you think you should have brought but didn't: None.

General advice:

The binders I brought with me I used for 95% of the exam. There were a few power problems that I used Grainger's book for and there was a few NEC references. I did not need the NESC since I found some good information online showing charts and other useful information.

Latest posts

Back