Overall exam- April 2014

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
School of PE for Mechanical. It was the weeknight class: 4 nights a week, 3 hours a night, for 5 weeks. All of the teachers were good except for the mech systems and materials guy (which was the PM test I took). He was a little weak, definitely disorganized and we had some technical issues. That makes it sound worse than it was. I still came out feeling prepared but thought mech and materials could have been better. The Thermo guy and the HVAC lady were phenomenal. Those were what I considered my weakest areas and now I feel pretty strong in them. I came out of Thermo understanding concepts that have eluded me since college. I "get it" now. Wish that guy had been my prof in college.

As far as notes... I printed all of the class notes double sided and shrunk down to 50% size, had them bound in a spiral binder, and highlighted the important stuff. I think that turned out great because all of my notes were about 1" thick and I could view 8 pages at once without having to turn a page. Huge time saver. MERM and those notes were almost all I used during the exam. I had a few other things that I referenced when I was really stumped but I'd say I was able to tackle 95% of the problems with only those two resources.

I also took the NCEES practice exam the sunday before and spent the final week going over and making notes on my errors on that exam. I think that helped me get 3-4 right that I wouldn't have otherwise.

School of PE for Mechanical. It was the weeknight class: 4 nights a week, 3 hours a night, for 5 weeks. All of the teachers were good except for the mech systems and materials guy (which was the PM test I took). He was a little weak, definitely disorganized and we had some technical issues. That makes it sound worse than it was. I still came out feeling prepared but thought mech and materials could have been better. The Thermo guy and the HVAC lady were phenomenal. Those were what I considered my weakest areas and now I feel pretty strong in them. I came out of Thermo understanding concepts that have eluded me since college. I "get it" now. Wish that guy had been my prof in college.

As far as notes... I printed all of the class notes double sided and shrunk down to 50% size, had them bound in a spiral binder, and highlighted the important stuff. I think that turned out great because all of my notes were about 1" thick and I could view 8 pages at once without having to turn a page. Huge time saver. MERM and those notes were almost all I used during the exam. I had a few other things that I referenced when I was really stumped but I'd say I was able to tackle 95% of the problems with only those two resources.

I also took the NCEES practice exam the sunday before and spent the final week going over and making notes on my errors on that exam. I think that helped me get 3-4 right that I wouldn't have otherwise.
I took School of PE for my EIT review. I'm thinking of taking them for my PE review too. The thermo instructor for the EIT was also excellent. (probably the same guy)

Thanks for the insight.

I took the Water Resources & Environemental again this time around (second time on the exam). For me it was certainly a prep issue as I breezed the morning (to the tune of 2 hours). The afternoon took all four hours for sure with the last two in Water be more or less guesses as I didn't have the time to solve them. For the most part the water resources problems were straight forward and were equations. The wastewater part of the exam was interesting, I guess having a regulatory standard in your back pocket might have helped for one of them. Becuase I thought my issue was a prep issue it would be biased to say I thought the October exam was harder. But truthfully, the OCtober exam was harder and had far less conceptually based questions. I left the exam confident. Mike PE did help a bit with study suggestions and they were awesome. Previous NCEES exams and Goswamis book were my keys to my prep this time.

Haha! Yeah, well my 7 year old is autistic, and when she gets stuck on a song we get to hear it non stop for days. It's that or deal with meltdowns, which are much worse than listening to whatever song she is into at the time.

I took EE Electronics. I'm not even trying to remember the exam right now since it was completely different the first time I took it last April. I hope I did enough to pass though :/

I hate the self-doubt phase of Post-PE. I feel like I did all problems incorrectly.

Any chemical takers on here? how did you feel about the PM session?

Sorry everyone, didn't intend to have that song stuck in your head for the remainder of the day...and all through the weekend.

Sorry everyone, didn't intend to have that song stuck in your head for the remainder of the day...and all through the weekend.

this is your one free pass... :bag:

honestly, I've never heard the song, only that stupid part that eveyone posts videos of their kids singing on facebook, which is also the same part that the news media seems to only have

^ they play it here on the radio at least 10 times per day... :brickwall:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back