Overall exam- April 2014

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@knight1fox3, LOL @ that recap. that guy is the drama king of the century. The same thing happened to me. After the morning session I was thinking of where to hang my license and how many copies to make and send to my family members in different parts of africa (I did this for my masters thesis), my new car, hardwood floors in my house, then the afternoon session came and stole my joy -__-

...and so we wait

There was one guy that had one book. I kid u not. Strolled into the exam room like a boss. I also observed a pregnant woman that went into the bathroom every 30 minutes. Poor lady

The guy who sat next to me talked loudly to himself the entire time! I felt bad because he was much older and didn't say anything.

I think the people who come in with suitcases full of reference material didn't prepare very well. There is NO WAY to use all of that info. I came in with what I could fit in an average sized backpack. MERM, the unit conversion sheets, and a few pages of printed notes from my review course were all I used, and all I wished to use, during the exam. I'm not sure what else I could have taken that would have been helpful.

I have MERM 12 while my prep course referenced everything in MERM 13. That is pretty inconvenient but I was mentally prepared for it. If I have to take this thing again, I'm going to have the *right* version of MERM.

Some of the materials are "required" that some people bring in. I sat in Oct for the Civil PE (Structural), and there were a decent amount of codes that were covered by the exam. If you didn't have those, you would have been in trouble. I had a suitcase about 2/3 -3/4 full of this kind of references. The rest was my prep course information and info sheets.

@knight1fox3, LOL @ that recap. that guy is the drama king of the century. The same thing happened to me. After the morning session I was thinking of where to hang my license and how many copies to make and send to my family members in different parts of africa (I did this for my masters thesis), my new car, hardwood floors in my house, then the afternoon session came and stole my joy -__-

...and so we wait

There was one guy that had one book. I kid u not. Strolled into the exam room like a boss. I also observed a pregnant woman that went into the bathroom every 30 minutes. Poor lady
I brought a half dozen or so when I took the chemical...but really all I needed was the ChE RM

Okay, here it is, my official debrief of how I think I did on the April 2014 Principals and Practice of Surveying Exam.

First, I couldn't sleep the night before. It was lights out at 10pm, and I fell asleep for a little while, and then woke with a start! Okay, here we go, I thought, as I began to get out of bed and reached for my phone to check the time (which also these days serves as my alarm clock). You can imagine my annoyance to find that it was 10:23 and what woke me up was my wife asking if I would go get a bottle for our youngest. He was stirring in the bassinette. Without trying to hide my annoyance and huffiness, I heavy footed it downstairs, made a bottle, and brought it back up. I handed it to her and said, "here", harumph.... no I didn't really harrumph out loud, but I wanted to. She then pointed to clothes she was folding, the breast pump she was holding and pumping milk, and looked at herself still in sweaty clothes from chasing three kids around all day and said, "can you... ummm, you know... like feed him?"

So, anyway, when I finally woke up at 4 AM (even though I set my alarm for 5) after only 4.5 hours of sleep, I decided that sleeping any longer just wasn't in the cards. So, I got dressed, jumped in my Jeep (which I had filled up the night before) and drove to my office. I parked my car, went inside, checked EngineerBoards, walked around the empty building, and finally figured it was time to meander over to the testing site. I work about a ten minute walk from the testing center. So, I walked over, and of course was the absolutel first person there. I waited, and watched all the other people as they began to arrive. I was carrying a calculator, my ID, and the admission ticket that I printed from NCEES. There is something nice about taking a closed book exam, as I watched all these poor souls lugging their tuff boxes, back packs, and milk crates around. I made small talk with a couple other surveyor exam candidates and got a little bit panicky when somebody mentioned a book I'd never heard of before, but they were talking about the state specific exam and I wasn't taking that one this time anyway, so I calmed down.

So, finally, I get into the exam room. We go through the rules and signing of the agreement, etc. Then we're told to start. Bam, first one I was struggling. I felt like I was going to hyperventilate, but then I just breathed, read the question again and all of a sudden it became clear to me what was being asked. I answered, then moved on. I kept doing that until I got to the last question. There were a few that I flat out guessed on, I'm not gonna lie, but here's how I classified each question by the time it was all over.

Group A: Nailed it. 100% probability of correctness
Group B: Feel pretty good about it. 75% probability of correctness
Group C: Narrowed them down to two possible solutions. 50% probability of correctness
Group D: **** it, no clue. 25% probability of correctness

In the end, I think I probably had about 30% in the Group A range, 35% in the Group B range, maybe 20% in the Group C range, and 15% in the Group D range. So based on that, then I'm thinking that my score should be (30*1)+(35*.75)+(20*.5)+(15*.25)=70 which is a pass. Of course, this is all just a guess. But, this is what gives me hope, because I'm being honest with my assessment here.

The other thing that gives me hope is that there were 8 people taking the PS exam in total. At least two of them were taking it again, having failed in Oct 13, and then there is the guy who didn't come back after lunch. So, because the chances of passing on the first try are 76%, then that means that statistically, 2 people from my group would fail. Well, one of them is the guy who didn't show up after lunch and then the two people who wre retaking the exam statistically only have about a 25% chance of passing it, so one of them is sure to fail, which means I'm in the group that statistically should pass!!! :)

Anyway, it's all conjecture till I get the results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I'm glad I got plenty of sleep before my 16 hour structural exam (only took lateral), I hate mornings and getting up at 6:15 am is not my cup of coffee (screw tea!).

Glad you have a confident outlook. I'm thinking about 65% to 72% for my morning and 3/4 for the afternoon (though the one I may have missed had errors). I like you statistics. My exam had only 3 people in it and we all seemed to be on the same page so, with a 30% pass rate, it's only one of us that passed. YIKES!

I am about 99.5% sure I passed (Civil - Env/Water resources). The other 0.5% is me doubting my ability to fill in my answer sheet correctly.

This makes me feel better about the strong possibility that I'll be retaking the CA seismic and surveying exams in the fall :(

what has a 30% pass rate??!! I thought pass rates for most disciplines for first time were in the 60s and 70s?

I took enviro, first time, and feel pretty rubbish about it :( I would say my flat-out-wtf-guess-rate was about 15-20% solid. But I ran out of time in an up-to-the-last-second manner (think Chopped-style except instead of garnishes I had a mechanical pencil) so I didn't have time to really reconsider how many I thought were in the ABCD categories above.

On the bright side the test center is only 10 minutes from my house. I met lots of folks who had to overnight it. So there's that for next time.

Took Electronics and felt decent after the a.m. session. Left the p.m. session doubting my career choice.

I felt the morning section was reasonable. I skipped three while working my way through but found the right equations for them when I went back. The afternoon transportation section was harder than the ncees practice test but not outside of what I studied for. I feel like I found a suitable answer for each question. Of the questions I remembered and checked after the test it reinforced my guesses.

I went back through each question checking the equation and the calculations 3 or 4 times and left an hour early in the morning and 20 minutes early in the afternoon. I feel like I could have gotten 70+ right but don't want to get ahead of myself. But I feel good about 4 months of studying

Took Mechanical, MS and M afternoon, for second time. Morning went good. Felt like I would pass for sure. Afternoon kicked my butt. Will just have to wait for results.

Took - Naval Architecture/Marine Engineering. Feel ok about it. I think it'll be close on either side of the cut line.

Side question: Does anyone know what happens to the booklets? There was at least one question that I felt had two answers and I made a little comment on that question, just curious if anyone (maybe the test writers) will even see it.

I took the Civil - Water Resources/Environmental, this was my first time taking the exam so I wasn't exactly sure what I was in for. I felt really good going into the exam. I felt super confident after the morning session as I found most of the problems to be very easy and straightforward and fairly well represented the things I had studied. The afternoon was another story. There were maybe a handful of questions that were quite similar to the practice problems I had done, otherwise it was a lot of scrambling to try to figure things out/look up somewhat unfamiliar equations or topics. I don't think I bombed the afternoon, but I don't think I dunked in its face, either.

Anybody else feel (on at least some of the questions) that the solution you got just couldn't be right because it was too easy/straightforward?

what has a 30% pass rate??!! I thought pass rates for most disciplines for first time were in the 60s and 70s?

I took enviro, first time, and feel pretty rubbish about it :( I would say my flat-out-wtf-guess-rate was about 15-20% solid. But I ran out of time in an up-to-the-last-second manner (think Chopped-style except instead of garnishes I had a mechanical pencil) so I didn't have time to really reconsider how many I thought were in the ABCD categories above.

On the bright side the test center is only 10 minutes from my house. I met lots of folks who had to overnight it. So there's that for next time.
I'm pretty sure pirate was talking about the 16 hour SE exam. The pass rate has gone up a bit in the past year or so, but last year I remember the pass rate for the lateral exam was 25% for first time takers and 16% for repeat takers. Now it's about 40%.

I took the Civil - Water Resources/Environmental, this was my first time taking the exam so I wasn't exactly sure what I was in for. I felt really good going into the exam. I felt super confident after the morning session as I found most of the problems to be very easy and straightforward and fairly well represented the things I had studied. The afternoon was another story. There were maybe a handful of questions that were quite similar to the practice problems I had done, otherwise it was a lot of scrambling to try to figure things out/look up somewhat unfamiliar equations or topics. I don't think I bombed the afternoon, but I don't think I dunked in its face, either.

Anybody else feel (on at least some of the questions) that the solution you got just couldn't be right because it was too easy/straightforward?
What books did you study from? What practice problems did you do? Did you take a class?

I'm looking to take the Civil-Water next April. I do not like surprises.

I hope you passed. Hand tight, it's going to be a long 40 days. :)

What books did you study from? What practice problems did you do? Did you take a class?

I'm looking to take the Civil-Water next April. I do not like surprises.

I hope you passed. Hand tight, it's going to be a long 40 days. :)

Hang
fixt ;)

^^^^ I thought he was holding something tight in his hand for 40 days and 40 nights.

Back