OPINION: 300 Hour CE PE Study Recommendation should be Revisited

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ham, what's your total breakdown for each of the three exams?  Did you pass all three in one administration?  Mine is about 250-300 8hr, 150-200 Survey, 200-250 Seismic.  Three separate consecutive administrations. 
Negative I passed the 8-hour and seismic and failed surveying on the first try. My breakdown was about 150 8-hour, 100-120 Seismic (inlcuding EET's seismic lecture hours), and 5 hours for surveying :D . As you can guess I ultimately decided to focus on 8-hour and Seismic rather than split my study time between the three.

ham, what's your total breakdown for each of the three exams?  Did you pass all three in one administration?  Mine is about 250-300 8hr, 150-200 Survey, 200-250 Seismic.  Three separate consecutive administrations. 
I passed all three in one administration with about 3 months of effective studying which included about 250-300 hours for the 8 hr exam, 150 hours for the seismic including a review course and about 50 hours for survey. Initially, when I picked up the books, I was spending evenings trying to get used to spending time with the books and complaining about everything and everyone for having to spend the much awaited summer days indoors! Coffee, hot / cold / beans really helped.

I passed all three in one administration with about 3 months of effective studying which included about 250-300 hours for the 8 hr exam, 150 hours for the seismic including a review course and about 50 hours for survey. Initially, when I picked up the books, I was spending evenings trying to get used to spending time with the books and complaining about everything and everyone for having to spend the much awaited summer days indoors! Coffee, hot / cold / beans really helped.
Nicely done! For everyone I know who has passed the trifecta in one go, 30-50 hours of studying for surveying was all they could fit in as well.

I realize there will ultimately be a "guideline recommendation" of some set number of hours... I have no idea who decided 300 was the right number. That seems like a really steep number.

Back