Opening Day

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the Royals are now on pace for a 121-41 season! :party-smiley-048:

the Red Sox are off to a rather slow start this year.

Getting ready to go check my son out of school and head to the Royals game.

When people in Kansas City, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, etc give up on their teams, maybe players will finally agree to a salary cap.

Then the Yankees and Red Sox will quit buying championships and I will care about baseball again.
I know it's a very small sample size, but this just makes me chuckle:

Kansas City 4-2

Baltimore 4-1

Pittsburgh 4-2

NY Yankees 3-2

Boston 0-5

When people in Kansas City, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, etc give up on their teams, maybe players will finally agree to a salary cap.

Then the Yankees and Red Sox will quit buying championships and I will care about baseball again.

Kansas City 4-2

Baltimore 4-1

Pittsburgh 4-2

NY Yankees 3-2

Boston 0-5

Yeah, it's too bad every season is 162 games.

Kansas City 4-2

Baltimore 4-1

Pittsburgh 4-2

NY Yankees 3-2

Boston 0-5
...and they're falling back in-line...except the Royals and Red Sox.

Kansas City 11-7

Baltimore 8-9

Pittsburgh 8-10

NY Yankees 10-6

Boston 6-11

BTW, Cleveland's 13-5.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about what the Met's owner said about Reyes, Beltran, and Wright? I was never happy when Beltran signed with the Mets. It has been a bad team for Puerto Rican players for some reason I cannot explain. It is like a curse.

Beltran has not played up to the hype that did surround his signing. That is a fact. But he is a better ballplayer than he is showing now. He needs a change of scenery and,if I was him, would be asking for a trade as of right now.

On the same topic, the New York media justifies the attack on Reyes and Beltran but reacts as what the guy said about Wright is uncalled for. :dunno: Talk about playing favorites.

Mets =
dumpster-fire.jpeg

That team is in a world of shit right now. I'd trade Beltran and Reyes now, while they are playing well and have value, before waiting for them to inevitably get hurt. Get some pitching prospects in return. Their rotation sucks a sweaty one.

They signed Beltran after he had an incredible playoff run with Houston, but the fact is he's a .275, 25 hr, 90 rbi type of player. Solids numbers year after year, but not the all world player they expected. Reyes is a mystery, he's shown glimpses of brilliance but has never fully reached his potential, and can't stay healthy. Wright is the face of the team, and a solid player year in and year out, but I agree with Wilpon he is not a superstar.

This team isn't going anywhere until the Madoff mess is sorted out anyway, and they will probably sell a good chunk of the team along the way.

They need to re-build the team to play 'small ball' in that cavernous stadium of theirs, a lineup of power hitters won't cut it. And please do something about the pitching.

^^^ And that, ladies and gents, is why I haven't needed to watch baseball since 1986.

They signed Beltran after he had an incredible playoff run with Houston, but the fact is he's a .275, 25 hr, 90 rbi type of player. Solids numbers year after year, but not the all world player they expected.
As an Astros fan I was disappointed that Houston couldn't sign him but I was relieved that they didn't overpay for him like the Mets did.

Last edited by a moderator:
^They tend to overpay the occasional borderline star to look like they are keeping up with the team across town.

Wilpon: Look! We signed Jason Bay, who hit 30+ homers over the short Green Monster fence in Boston but will only hit about 12 of them in the airplane hangar we play in. Yay!

The Ollie Perez deal was another knee-jerk keeping up with the Yankees sort of move.

They signed Beltran after he had an incredible playoff run with Houston, but the fact is he's a .275, 25 hr, 90 rbi type of player. Solids numbers year after year, but not the all world player they expected.
As an Astros fan I was disappointed that Houston couldn't sign him but I was relieved that they didn't overpay for him like the Mets did.
As a Royals fan, I wish he was still here, but he probably makes more salary than half of our team put together.

Many of you probably don't remember that the Royals had Beltran, Johnny Damon and Jermaine Dye all at the same time.

Kansas City 4-2

Baltimore 4-1

Pittsburgh 4-2

NY Yankees 3-2

Boston 0-5
...and they're falling back in-line...except the Royals and Red Sox.

Kansas City 11-7

Baltimore 8-9

Pittsburgh 8-10

NY Yankees 10-6

Boston 6-11

BTW, Cleveland's 13-5.
And they've now all...ahem...fallen back into line.

I agree! And not just because the Cardinals won...I think there was a lot of great baseball being played with a lot of heart.

I agree! And not just because the Cardinals won...I think there was a lot of great baseball being played with a lot of heart.
Heart? That team is incredible. Twice they were one strike away from defeat and twice they came back. If you add to that the fact of being 10 1/2 games behind the last spot for the playoffs in September and got in on the last day, and the last game of the season, you have the formula of a resilient winning team.

Latest posts

Back