One Week Out!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man this conversation is giving me flashbacks. Day of the exam was super intense, but was ok. Yall are prepared; you're going to do great.

Question: has anyone else actually read the intro chapter in the MERM? (I assume the other reference manuals have the same info.) Their exam day preparations are extreme! A 2nd set of car keys on a string around your neck? Wire coat hanger? Extra glasses and contacts? Battery powered desk lamp? But the one that always stood out to me the most was "a length of rope"!?!???! What am I supposed to do with that? It's become a running joke between my wife and I when prepping for something. Don't forget your length of rope!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck to everyone taking it this week.

My word of wisdom would be to bring a jacket or sweatshirt as well as a water bottle and gum.

Keep calm and keep comfortable. DO NOT get hung up on one problem you think you know where it is, skip it and get it on the way back.

Battery powered desk lamp? 
😂 What in the world? lol 

I skimmed the intro section in the CERM but now I want to read it.

I'm a runner and before a race, you plan everything. What you will wear, what you will eat, your entire morning routine. So I already know that I'm wearing a sweater with big pockets for my keys, and ID. Also the handbook says no sweatshirts with hoods and I am a naturally cold person. I must feel swaddled in warmth at all times or else I start yawning a lot, my eyes start to water, and I can't focus because I'm shivering.

I printed 3 copies of my exam authorization. I will have one in one of my binders, one on me, and one in my glove compartment just in case. 

Question: has anyone else actually read the intro chapter in the MERM? (I assume the other reference manuals have the same info.) Their exam day preparations are extreme! A 2nd set of car keys on a string around your neck? Wire coat hanger? Extra glasses and contacts? Battery powered desk lamp? But the one that always stood out to me the most was "a length of rope"!?!???! What am I supposed to do with that? It's become a running joke between my wife and I when prepping for something. Don't forget your length of rope!
Not going to lie: my first thought after reading that was a mental image of someone pulling a hangman's noose out of their prep materials, just in case. 🤤😭 It's definitely time for me to put down the study materials. 😂

There's nothing like that in the latest edition of the CERM, though it definitely wouldn't surprise me. (And probably was in previous editions.) From my studies of that manual and his book of practice problems, I've gathered that Lindeburg is a little kooky, and this is further proof. I envision him as a mad scientist, sitting in his lair (with a full spool of rope in the corner), cranking out reference manuals for years to come, even long after NCEES has fully converted to CBT.

From MERM 13th edition...       It is mostly good advice.

(almost readable at full screen)

Under *Prepare for the Worst*
"Imagine s Star Trek convention, square-dancing contest, construction, or auction in the next room."

View attachment 14008

"Imagine s Star Trek convention, square-dancing contest, construction, or auction in the next room."

View attachment 14008
Haha, the "length of rope" was always my favorite tip from the MERM.  That, and if someone actually brought a battery-powered desk lamp, they should get an automatic pass.

Man this conversation is giving me flashbacks. Day of the exam was super intense, but was ok. Yall are prepared; you're going to do great.

Recall Boondock Saints, "you and your stupid F'n rope..." but it totally saved the day.

View attachment 14008
This is in my 15th edition CERM too. Including the lamp and the length of rope!

Try to wear something light on top like a long sleeve cotton shirt and bring a jacket so you can be prepared weather you find it cold or hot inside. I wouldn't wear a sweater or t-shirt without having a back up jacket, keep it in layers. And remember to bring a permissible clock/watch.

Try to wear something light on top like a long sleeve cotton shirt and bring a jacket so you can be prepared weather you find it cold or hot inside. Don't wear a sweater, or T-shirt without having a jacket with you. And remember to bring a permissible clock/watch.
I had to order a new watch 😭

I can't find my light up Batman watch 😭

For the first time takers: you should be at the point of ever-diminishing returns by this point in your studies; ideally you'll hit peak preparedness by tomorrow. It's probably not a good sign if you are still learning new things tomorrow.

I hit negative returns when trying to study the day before. That day is probably be spent relaxing and getting psychologically prepared for the test the next day.

In baseball terms, Monday through Wednesday is like swinging two bats in the on-deck circle. Thuesday is walking up the plate with your "walk up" music playing. Friday is when you hit it out of the park.

Back