One Week Out!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If anyone is taking it in San Mateo, bring a pillow or cushion for the chairs.  The convention center chairs are terrible and about 4" lower than they should be for the table height.
I'm taking the test elsewhere but I definitely ordered a seat cushion just in case. I'd rather have one than need one and not have it.

So what snacks are you bringing?  

How are you getting your references from your car to the test location?
Clif bars, gum, and a tube of nuun. Maybe steal a banana from the hotel in the morning.

Currently, trying to figure that out - I added a couple of binders to my study pile and it doesn't all fit now. Historically it's been a paper ream box and a backpack. Pretty sure I'm gonna jam all I can in there and balance a binder on top of the binders in the box *shrugs*

Something to note, try to figure out about the set up of your test site before you get there. Like are there there stairs? One year, my test site was in the one lecture hall at the college and there are small steps inside the space. There was a woman with a rolling box and she couldn't physically carry it up the stairs by herself. She had assistance bringing it up to her seat - I left before she did in the PM so I assume she had help bringing it down too or THUNKED it down the stairs lol

Currently, trying to figure that out - I added a couple of binders to my study pile and it doesn't all fit now. Historically it's been a paper ream box and a backpack. Pretty sure I'm gonna jam all I can in there and balance a binder on top of the binders in the box *shrugs*
I would definitely recommend a hand truck and milk crates for Transpo or a teacher's folding cart for everybody that else that doesn't need a bunch of references. Don't forget a trash bag in case it's raining, it saved me on my test day😎

b6b2128b056dd3f18bfaca65317e247f--classroom-setup-classroom-organization.jpg

Something else that worked great was grabbing Jimmy Johns for dinner and bringing an extra sub on test day for lunch. I didn't have to worry about driving for lunch and it was easier on the stomach😀

+_26dcfe2bd7aae10b12c462e28da405ec.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@LyceeFruit It's funny you mention Nuun. I was thinking about bringing a Gu and taking it in right before the exam starts. I know I'm going to get hungry by the time it starts. It says that we need to get there by 7:15 AM and I'm planning to eat breakfast around 6. I just know that we aren't starting any earlier than 8. I can't focus when my stomach is growling. 

Also, here's my cart. It's collapsible and I can totally use it when this thing is over. I'm also carrying two collapsible milk crates to place under my desk for my books.  I bought the milk crates a long time ago and I don't remember where I got them from. 

41zQGD9yTPL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

@Ranger1316 Thank you for the trash bag reminder! I don't think it's supposed to rain but it doesn't cost me anything to just throw one in the back of the car just in case.

Call it overkill, but I don't care. I'm packing a small cooler and keeping it in my car with my homemade lunch in it. I'm staying in a hotel the night before so I'm not commuting directly from my house. While taking the simulated 8 hour exam a couple of weeks ago, I also simulated my meals to see how my tummy handled it. My lunch is super basic but it did the job. I'll eat like a Queen after this is all over. 

@Ranger1316 Thank you for the trash bag reminder! I don't think it's supposed to rain but it doesn't cost me anything to just throw one in the back of the car just in case.

Call it overkill, but I don't care. I'm packing a small cooler and keeping it in my car with my homemade lunch in it. I'm staying in a hotel the night before so I'm not commuting directly from my house. While taking the simulated 8 hour exam a couple of weeks ago, I also simulated my meals to see how my tummy handled it. My lunch is super basic but it did the job. I'll eat like a Queen after this is all over. 
I bring a cooler too. But my test center has nothing near by and is on a college campus so not dealing with students LOL.

@LyceeFruit It's funny you mention Nuun. I was thinking about bringing a Gu and taking it in right before the exam starts. I know I'm going to get hungry by the time it starts. It says that we need to get there by 7:15 AM and I'm planning to eat breakfast around 6. I just know that we aren't starting any earlier than 8. I can't focus when my stomach is growling. 

Also, here's my cart. It's collapsible and I can totally use it when this thing is over. I'm also carrying two collapsible milk crates to place under my desk for my books.  I bought the milk crates a long time ago and I don't remember where I got them from. 

41zQGD9yTPL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
I'm usually good until about 10-1030. And then my stomach is getting grumbly lol

I do nuun since I get bored with water and I plan on hiking on Saturday so I want to pre-load some electrolytes lol 

So what snacks are you bringing?  

How are you getting your references from your car to the test location?
Special K Protein bars and water.

I also found this industrial tote to haul my references. Now, I'm taking Geotechnical, so it's very light on codes, plus I'm 6'2" and 200+ pounds, so picking it up and hauling it just isn't an issue. If you weigh 150 and are bringing the Library of Congress, because you're taking Transpo or Structures, I'd recommend something different. It has an interlocking lid, to keep everything (relatively) dry and it's nice and strong without being too heavy or rigid, in and of itself.

20191021_121517.jpg

Back