Oil slick

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep watching the live cam (BP disaster cam) hoping to see some little robots moving around. When are they going to plug this thing up?

This is all so much horseshit in my opinion, you made the mess you clean the mess up. Oil and gas companies are in this business to make lots of money, heck and I have had and continue to have several clients in the field, but all this sidesteping of blame is annoying.l

I guess they should have set aside some of those record profits they made a couple of years ago.

Our president has recently been notified about the oil spill, only took him 8 days to, I guess, find out.
BP did a fine job of covering it up. Forcing workers to sign no-fault papers before allowing them back on shore. Closing off the shores along the blast from the media.

I'm not sure I'd call that a cover up. And it wasn't BP's rig out there, it was Transocean's. My understanding is that it was Transocean's crew as well.

^agreed. but I can't stop watching.

It sounds like they've started the top kill procedure. now the video is showing a close up of some parts - I'm not sure what we're looking at.

I wish there was a live sound feed from the control room.

35 days and counting, you would think if they could bring Apollo 13 home they could get some people with some good ideas...

35 days and counting, you would think if they could bring Apollo 13 home they could get some people with some good ideas...
I think it is the deepest blowout ever, and some of the others have taken several months to plug. Give 'em a break, they are trying, trying stuff that hasn't been done before at that depth.

It's not as if BP did this intentionally. I'm sure they made mistakes but we've all made mistakes in our careers as engineers. It just happens that when they make a mistake in their subsector of the oil/gas industry the consequences are much larger than, if for example, I were to undersize a pipe by 2 inches.

The fact of the matter is that their equipment failed and while it might make some feel good to get angry at some rich CEO, no one could have predicted this. And while we are dependent on companies like BP to deliver oil and gas as part of our energy supply, we have to accept accidents like this as an unfortunate cost of what it takes to allow us to live our intensive energy consumptive lifestyles.

they're using some robot arm to move stuff around now.

It's not as if BP did this intentionally. I'm sure they made mistakes but we've all made mistakes in our careers as engineers. It just happens that when they make a mistake in their subsector of the oil/gas industry the consequences are much larger than, if for example, I were to undersize a pipe by 2 inches.
The fact of the matter is that their equipment failed and while it might make some feel good to get angry at some rich CEO, no one could have predicted this. And while we are dependent on companies like BP to deliver oil and gas as part of our energy supply, we have to accept accidents like this as an unfortunate cost of what it takes to allow us to live our intensive energy consumptive lifestyles.
I don't plan to accept this as an "unfortunate cost". The son of one of our pipefitters onsite was killed on that rig. From what I gather from numerous sources, this was very preventable. Of course, this is preliminary and there are a lot of different rumors flying around. However, each of the stories I'm hearing is that the operators / management knew something wasn't quite right, but continued their production as if nothing were wrong. We'll see how it plays out in the end, but "oopsie" doesn't come to mind with this incident. "Negligence" is the word I'm currently using and may very well be using in the months to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
the robot arm is now hitting the pipe with a wrench.

Back