# of Hours of study & prep

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I studied for approximately 16 hours. 2 hours each weekend for a month prior to the test, then 8 hours the day before the test, no review course. I took the Civil Transportation exam and passed the first try.
6 minute solution FTW.
Nice! 16 hours is not typical of the average amount of time to study for the PE and I think most people can agree to that. I studied about 100 hours for the PE and a total of about 60 hours for the state-specific exams for California (seismic, surveying) and started studying about 3 months before the exam. Passed everything on the first try... phew!

The more you want to pass the exam on the first try, the more you would study for it. This is why first-time takers have a higher passing rate than repeaters. When you don't know what to expect, you'd study as much as possible to cover as many topics in the test plan as possible.

I studied any where between 200-300 hours. I started my studying about 8 months before the test, but I really didn't buckle down until the last few months. That being said I thought the test was very easy and felt like I smoked through it. I had a few errors that i realized later, but I got an 85 score (70 is passing). They give your scores in Texas. I took the Civil/Structural.

Basically if you study with the mindset to get 100%, the test will be pretty easy.

I just took the exam in April 10 and awaiting results

Started studying about 4-5 weeks prior and totaled about 80-100 hours. 5-10 hours per week the first 4 weeks and then cram like hell the last week and a half for about 40 - 50 hours.

I felt ok coming out, time will tell

200 hours

It includeded the quiz, sample exam time, about 1 hour per day from Monday to Friday.

1st time, passed.

I think after you take some sample, you know how many hours you needed, I add 1.3 multiplier on mine.

I studied 150 to 200 hours and passed on the first try on the Civil: Water Resources depth. I have very little experience in the construction, transportation and structures. I spend a lot of time on structures (~30-40 hours). Maybe 4 hours on construction and probably 16 hours on transportation. I focused on Water Resources since it was my depth. I studied over a sixth month period, but there was a 6 week period in the last eight weeks where I was totally wiped out from studying and I simply didn't study. It was a brain recharge. I pushed hard the last two weeks. Sample test, exam cafe. Probably averaged 4 hours a night.

Last edited by a moderator:
1st try - 40 hours - score 67

2nd try - 50 hours - score 66

3rd try - >200 hours - score 83

1st try - Flipped through the MERM for 6 minutes waiting for them to open the doors on the day of the exam - score 99.8

more number of hours of study is not always a positive result in exam. I studied my ass off last time i failed. I did not study much this time, studied veryy selective and passed. Not trying to give an impression to anyone that study less is good option. Just that i did not sweat lot this time as i already studied last time, just kind of a refresher. I did not try to study covering more topic this time too. I took a review and workshop class and just tried to hit hard on some selective topic and it worked for me

I passed the civil structural, the first time, by studying the NCEES practice problems for the civil exam and the structural I exam - I found the structural I practice problems to be extremely good practice for the structural depth of the civil PE. (not only does it help you with the difficulty regime and scope, but the problems can be very good practice. by very good practice, I mean they were very good practice.)

I did the 6-minute solutions for the structural I (which I heard were similar to the 6 minute solutions for the structural depth) and they did refresh some concepts and code checks in my mind, but were in no way similar to the exam problems. NCEES practice problems were much more on target.

I started studying in January, and tried to hit the books at least every week, mostly on the weekends. Maybe 3 to 5 hours during the work week - more intense during the weekend.

The amount of studying you do will be directly dependent upon how much you remember from school and what you actually do in practice at your job. Being a blast engineer, I'm not as familiar with IBC, AASHTO, etc - but I have an extremely strong grasp of the key principles of structural engineering and design. So, I took the Civil PE with structural depth, learned all the easy general Civil stuff (general civil morning can't be hard - it's not in-depth enough to be hard) and focused on honing my structures knowledge for the afternoon into a razor-sharp tool of engineering knowledge destruction. it worked

I took the CE test last spring (2009) and if I had to guess... I probably studied for around 300 hours. I didn't pass. But what I learned was I spent way too much time reviewing EVERYTHING in the CERM. I did every problem in the supplemental questions book which was probably a mistake. When I got the breakdown of my failed test I aced the morning but bombed the afternoon (got a 65% overall).

Soooo, for the spring 2010 exam I spent an additional 60-80 hours or so reviewing everything I could get my hands on related to Transportation. I should have realized this before because my degree is in Forestry Engineering (no highway design classes) and I am not a Transportation Engineer.

If I had to do it all over I probably whould have touched on main topics is the CERM but really devoted more time to my afternoon focus. All in all I left the test this year with a ton more confidence and can't wait to get my results!

I took chem e the first time in april '10.

I studied for about 200 hours, literally until I couldn't think of any other material to cover. I'd say, which was probably way more than I needed (I hope, right?)

Here's what I did:

I took the practice test untimed and I got more than half right.

My first order of business was to work on the weak parts that the test identified (in my case, distillation, adsorption, mass transfer, and indexing "trivia" sections in the ChERM 5th ed.) until they were strong parts, using the Lindeburg supplemental problems*.

I remembered from the FE that there would be some questions in the practice exam that were almost exactly like what appeared on the real test but that the practice test is a lot harder...it wasn't quite like that this time. The practice test was only a little harder, but not as much of a copy of the real test. It was still waay closer than any of the ppi problems.

My second order of business was to get to where I could do any of the sample test problems in under two minutes without using any published references (unless it was a steam table, TEMA table, or a "trivia" section). I made a single page crib sheet that contained the most common constants in different unit systems, hard to find conversion factors, and common mistakes (ie how to spot where they are trying to trip me up on a unit conversion, wt% vs fraction, etc.), and other notes to myself.

Anything that required an involved method (such as the NTU for heat exchangers) got a separate crib sheet that explained the fastest way to group terms to get it done in under two minutes. I went through the practice test a third time to verify that I could recognize everything in it and solve it from memory in under two minutes.

My third order of business was to go through the exam topic specifications line-by-line and read textbook chapters on them. I would also do a couple fundamentals problems out of the relevant textbooks' relevant chapters if I got the feeling that was necessary (did a lot of extra work on VLE, for instance).

I also took a lot of notes that simplified the concepts in the textbooks in the ways that I thought NCEES could actually formulate a test question about them. I feel like this was where I made most of my key breakthroughs in preparation. I also indexed Perry's for the trivia sections around this point.

My fourth order of business, the last thing I did, was read through the practice test problems a fourth time. This time, I read it really close, in order to see into the mind of NCEES, if you'll pardon the expression. My main purpose was to try and visualize what other NCEES problems might look like, what could they change about the questions over these topics without making them prohibitively difficult, what did I see in the textbooks that these problems demonstrate, what "trivia" do the solutions of the problems infer. Stuff like that.

Now, I haven't gotten my results yet, but I did finish an 8 hour test in under 5:30.

*supplemental problems were for the 6th ed, so it was kinda confusing at first because I had the 5th ed. ChERM. I read here that the 5th ed. is superior to the 6th ed for chemical, so I guess I got lucky.

I took the Civil/Geotech in April of this year - Still don't have results back. I took a PE review class which I actually found to be pretty worthless other than one of the sessions. Was out of town for work so only went to four of the sessions (8 hours a pop for 32 hrs) and then studied for about 2.5 days before the test (so 25 hours there) for a total of about 60 hours. I felt pretty comfortable and thought that I had more than enough time on the test. In retrospect I should have just not taken the review class and spent that time doing my own review.

There may be a post like this out there, but I didn't find it...
Anyway:

How many hours did you study - 275

# of times you've taken the test - 1

Let's see if hours studied relates to success...
Study time - <12 hours. I reviewed the sample test twice and made sure I fully understood the concepts and solutions to each problem. I also made sure I knew how to quickly find information in all of the ASHRAE books and MERM.

# of times taken the test -1

Took mechanical exam with HVAC in the afternoon. I was lucky enough to have passed on the first time.

Studied maybe 80-100 hours. All of it was studying the NCEES sample exam for mechanical. I worked the whole thing twice through and made sure I understood every question.

Mechanical Thermal Fluids.

Took it once and passed. Got an 88, but I only felt like I got 55 out of 80 questions correct.

Studied on my own for a total of about 200 hours. Took Civil Construction PM and passed first try. Actually spent the majority of my time (75% or more) studying for AM portion. After taking the test, I feel like I definitely spent too much time on studying Stuctures for AM as the structural questions on test weren't as involved as I thought they would be.

Took the Mechanical PE Exam for the first time in April 2010. 5 yrs out of college. Took the testmasters review course. About 100 Hours of class. Spent about 60 hours studying outside of class, practice problems, tabbing ASHRAE manuals, MERM, etc. Took HVAC depth, passed with 87.

I probably studied around 150 - 200 hours. Passed on the first time, so it was well worth it.

I spent around 200 hours studying and passed the Civil-Structural on the first attempt.

It took about 50 hours of studying before I gained confidence in transpo, geotech, and water. That's roughly 16 hours per subject. Out of the 200 hours, I spent 25% or so studying for the afternoon portion.

I spent 275 hours studying for the Electrical Power exam. Some of that time was spent prepping materials and organizing, but all time counts.

Power Systems Analysis was key and so was Intro to Electric Power Systems (Goetze)

Passed 1st attempt.

Back