October 2019 Examinees

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve started @Zach Stone, P.E.‘s class, and I’m really liking the presentation of the material a lot. I’m supplementing with Engineering Pro Guides and I picked up a copy of Wildi already. I think Practice exams are going to be my make or break, and I’ve got 5 practice exams (NCEES, 2 PPI, 2 EngineeringProGuides), and I’m conseidering picking up Graffeo just for the practice exam. There’s also another practice exam about to be released, but not sure when. 
Practice exams were the keys to the kingdom in my humble opinion.  You've listed everything I used (including Graffeo) so I believe you will do well.

Best of luck!

Hi, everybody! Just signed up for the forum today, even though I've been taking the advice that I found here to heart. I'm about 75% through the Graffeo book material, and plan to take as many practice exams as I can (I have the spin up, Graffeo, and NCEES practice exams for now, will purchase more if I think I need to). I have been working in the NEC for all four years of work experience, but we do almost nothing with motors so I've still got a lot of review there. It looks like I'm a little late to the party in this thread, though. How's everybody feeling about their prep so far?
I'm going through Zach's live course plus the other course on his site. I'm going through Complex Imaginary tests now - I've previously done the NCEES & Engineering ProGuides tests. But plan to review the EngProGuide test closer to the exam. And I'm awaiting when @Zach Stone, P.E. releases his test. 

I rotate between feeling ok about my prep (since I have other attempts under my belt), feeling anxious (because I have other attempts under my belt) and feeling tired. 

Sounds like you are on the right track.  I’d add the exams and study guide from Engineer Pro Guides personally.   

Your mileage may vary but I didn’t find much value in the Spin Up exams.  They were fine for testing the very basics but not much else.
I've gone thru some of the Spin UP Questions of the Week and that's about it with my experience with them. They aren't as bad as the old Camara & Kaplan problem sets but definitely shouldn't be a guiding focus. 

I've gone thru some of the Spin UP Questions of the Week and that's about it with my experience with them. They aren't as bad as the old Camara & Kaplan problem sets but definitely shouldn't be a guiding focus. 
I'm always afraid that I have blind spots, so I wanted to pick up the spin up if for no other reason than to test breadth of knowledge, and maybe help me flag some ideas that the other materials might miss. That opinion might change once I get into them.

@MadamPirate, This has also been a second (or third) career for me. I started college at 28 and finally reached the four year experience mark to qualify for the exam (Louisiana doesn't make you wait, but I'm trying to get the most out of comity).

@Zach Stone, P.E., I'm going to look at the free options later tonight. If your free material can help me wrap my head around motors, I'll invest in at least one month of access on top of Testmasters (which my job is covering).

@MadamPirate, This has also been a second (or third) career for me. I started college at 28 and finally reached the four year experience mark to qualify for the exam (Louisiana doesn't make you wait, but I'm trying to get the most out of comity).

@Zach Stone, P.E., I'm going to look at the free options later tonight. If your free material can help me wrap my head around motors, I'll invest in at least one month of access on top of Testmasters (which my job is covering).
Sure thing. If you have any questions @Toby-Wan feel free to reach out directly via Email. 

I'm always afraid that I have blind spots, so I wanted to pick up the spin up if for no other reason than to test breadth of knowledge, and maybe help me flag some ideas that the other materials might miss. That opinion might change once I get into them.
It will help you answer very basic questions quickly.  There is some value in being able to instantly recall those basics when they come up as part of other, more complex problems.

The Spin-Up exams are very basic. They're good for getting your feet wet however the difficulty is very easy. I would start with Spin-Up and then go onto Complex Imaginary. Complex Imaginary will help you instill the concepts even further especially when it comes to the math stuff. Just remember not to put all of your eggs in one basket.

I think Complex Imaginary, then Graffeo, then Eng ProGuides practice exams would be a nice progression before taking the NCEES practice exam.  Eng Pro Guides has two practice exams, one used for their class and then one "Final" exam.  They also have a set of practice exams just for codes, which is nice.

I think Complex Imaginary, then Graffeo, then Eng ProGuides practice exams would be a nice progression before taking the NCEES practice exam.  Eng Pro Guides has two practice exams, one used for their class and then one "Final" exam.  They also have a set of practice exams just for codes, which is nice.
Does the EngPro Final exam differ much from the Full Exam?

Does the EngPro Final exam differ much from the Full Exam?
They are similar in difficulty and format (wording).  The difference with the final exam is it breaks up the topics of questions asked.  In the "Full" exam, for example, you start with (9) circuit analysis questions, then you move on to a set of devices and power electronics questions, and so on.  The last (9) questions (71-80) are Codes and Standards.  In the "Final" exam, the questions are broken up more randomly, similar to the real exam.

Both EngPro exams tell you which topic each problem covers. Not realistic compared to the real exam, but I think it's very helpful because then you can put the worked out problem and solution into the appropriate section in your binder.  It also helps you keep track of which sections you need more help with.

They are similar in difficulty and format (wording).  The difference with the final exam is it breaks up the topics of questions asked.  In the "Full" exam, for example, you start with (9) circuit analysis questions, then you move on to a set of devices and power electronics questions, and so on.  The last (9) questions (71-80) are Codes and Standards.  In the "Final" exam, the questions are broken up more randomly, similar to the real exam.
Both EngPro exams tell you which topic each problem covers. Not realistic compared to the real exam, but I think it's very helpful because then you can put the worked out problem and solution into the appropriate section in your binder.  It also helps you keep track of which sections you need more help with.
Thank you very much for your input //content.invisioncic.com/r86644/emoticons/default_smile.png

Have you bought the finall exam then?

I purchased all of the other stuff last cycle and it's definitely helpful. So I'm considering getting the final exam as well... 

If you have the time, it won't hurt to go through spin up. I know many people think it is repetitive and on easier side and I agree. Exam is not always all about tough questions, sometimes simple questions trip us. If you are too comfortable with spin up, then do 2 or 3 practice exam, skip some questions etc whatever works for you but doing different practice questions from various sources is the key. If because of spin up, if you are able to answer 3 or 4 questions out of 80 then that gets you close to passing. Every little bit helps is how I look at it. There are 4 to 5 sources of practice exam that has been discussed on this board and we need to at least go through them.  

I'm of the view that anyone who is putting decent amount of efforts, the difference in passing and not passing is not all that much. Good luck everyone !!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have the time, it won't hurt to go through spin up. I know many people think it is repetitive and on easier side and I agree. Exam is not always all about tough questions, sometimes simple questions trip us. If you are too comfortable with spin up, then do 2 or 3 practice exam, skip some questions etc whatever works for you but doing different practice questions from various sources is the key. If because of spin up, if you are able to answer 3 or 4 questions out of 80 then that gets you close to passing. Every little bit helps is how I look at it. There are 4 to 5 sources of practice exam that has been discussed on this board and we need to at least go through them.  

I'm of the view that anyone who is putting decent amount of efforts, the difference in passing and not passing is not all that much. Good luck everyone !!
I'm aware of different sources. And I have plenty that are of better quality, even for the easy ones, than Spin Up. 

Are you finding it to be worthwhile??
I have not taken the simulated "Final" practice exam for Eng Pro Guides yet.  I scanned through the problems and sections to see what is covered.

One thing I noticed was that the Eng Pro Guides original practice exam changed a little from last year.  I took the PE exam last October and scored 43/80.  I found the Eng Pro Guides material very helpful and took their practice exam last year.  This year it looks like they removed a couple of problems but included some additional bonus problems as well.  Justin Kauwale (who owns EngProGuides) and Zach Stone (who has his own ElectricalPEReview course) both pay close attention to feedback from students and are constantly updating their material.  I took Zach's course but would highly recommend either course.  I saved and still have all of Zach's course notes and homework/practice exam problems, so this time around I'm just going through and taking as many practice exams as I can.

I will say aside from Zach's course notes I referred to the EngProGuides and Graffeo material the most during the exam.

I have not taken the simulated "Final" practice exam for Eng Pro Guides yet.  I scanned through the problems and sections to see what is covered.

One thing I noticed was that the Eng Pro Guides original practice exam changed a little from last year.  I took the PE exam last October and scored 43/80.  I found the Eng Pro Guides material very helpful and took their practice exam last year.  This year it looks like they removed a couple of problems but included some additional bonus problems as well.  Justin Kauwale (who owns EngProGuides) and Zach Stone (who has his own ElectricalPEReview course) both pay close attention to feedback from students and are constantly updating their material.  I took Zach's course but would highly recommend either course.  I saved and still have all of Zach's course notes and homework/practice exam problems, so this time around I'm just going through and taking as many practice exams as I can.

I will say aside from Zach's course notes I referred to the EngProGuides and Graffeo material the most during the exam.
I feel this is very accurate and agree with your thoughts!

Back