October 2019 Examinees

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi folks!

New here, and I'm sitting this year! Does the wanting to vomit feel ever go away?

No. I don't do well with online learning as I figured out in undergrad. And there isn't an in-person course in my state or the state next to mine. 

ETA: I am planning on utilizing the free access of Zach Stone's stuff soon and if that works out well for me, I will be doing 2 months of his course later this summer. 
Best of luck to you.  I took it three times before I passed in 2014.  The third time was almost 16 years after my initial back-to-back attempts.  I took the GA Tech course and found it to be very helpful.  Since then Zach Stone's course has taken off and I've heard a lot of good things about it.  I know you mentioned your difficulty with online courses but if you can find one and get through it I think they make a world of difference.  Complex Imaginary AND Spin-up resources were very helpful.  In fact, Spin-up's introduction contains a test taking strategy that by itself is worth the cost of the book.  Also, the internet and YouTube became two of my best friends.  Unlike studying in the late '90's it was nice to have quick access to answers if I wasn't able to grasp the information in my primary resources.  Once  again good luck.  It's not just what you know but how you approach the test.   

Hi, I'm registering to this board a little late, but I've been studying for a few months. Unfortunately, I just discovered this forum two months before the exam.

Good resources abound in this thread. Is anyone operating a study group for the October exam?

Hi folks!

New here, and I'm sitting this year! Does the wanting to vomit feel ever go away?
Going through application process, FE , PE , long wait for results, requires a lot of energy and dedication. One should do this when they are relatively young. One does feel relieved  after they pass.  

Going through application process, FE , PE , long wait for results, requires a lot of energy and dedication. One should do this when they are relatively young. One does feel relieved  after they pass.  
I don't know your definition of ' relatively young' but even at 32/33 it was all terrible lol.  The whole exercise is one of extreme patience and focus all at the same time.

I don't know your definition of ' relatively young' but even at 32/33 it was all terrible lol.  The whole exercise is one of extreme patience and focus all at the same time.
Even at the age of 31 it was taking its toll on me.  Combine that with working and commuting then it's a nightmare. I was able to do it with the FE right after I graduated because I didn't have a job and I was fresh out of school. But not being in school for a while and constantly working makes it harder. Luckily I don't have a wife or kids. I don't know how people with a family do it.

Even at the age of 31 it was taking its toll on me.  Combine that with working and commuting then it's a nightmare. I was able to do it with the FE right after I graduated because I didn't have a job and I was fresh out of school. But not being in school for a while and constantly working makes it harder. Luckily I don't have a wife or kids. I don't know how people with a family do it.
The family definitely added a level of complexity to the is whole adventure...

So the bottom line is process is arduous. Far and few would put themselves through this process. Shouldn't we start earning $10-20K more than before? I haven't seen that light bulb moment yet. 

Shouldn't we start earning $10-20K more than before? I haven't seen that light bulb moment yet. 
General consensus is that the results are all over the map on this one. There are a lot of factors, one of which is whether or not your company sees your license as valuable (some companies require it, others don’t, some consider it a plus, etc.)

I got an 11% raise about 6 months after passing my exam and getting my license, but ultimately it’s because I reached out to my boss and asked for it; not the easiest thing in the world to do.

There are a lot of salary-related questions and topics elsewhere on this board that might answer this question for you more fully.

So the bottom line is process is arduous. Far and few would put themselves through this process. Shouldn't we start earning $10-20K more than before? I haven't seen that light bulb moment yet. 
Depends on a lot of factors.  Need for the license, how many others are licensed at your firm in your state, what your current compensation is and how that relates to your peers etc etc. 

Bottom line, if you feel you deserve it based on this accomplishment, it never hurts to ask and provide your justification.

Something else I wanted to ask you guys, my test date on my ncees is oct 25 which is a Friday.  I guess I had assumed it’s always on a Saturday?

Something else I wanted to ask you guys, my test date on my ncees is oct 25 which is a Friday.  I guess I had assumed it’s always on a Saturday?
The pencil and paper PE exam is always on a Friday. The SE exam is on Friday and Saturday. The old pencil and paper FE exam was always on a Saturday.

Hi, everybody! Just signed up for the forum today, even though I've been taking the advice that I found here to heart. I'm about 75% through the Graffeo book material, and plan to take as many practice exams as I can (I have the spin up, Graffeo, and NCEES practice exams for now, will purchase more if I think I need to). I have been working in the NEC for all four years of work experience, but we do almost nothing with motors so I've still got a lot of review there. It looks like I'm a little late to the party in this thread, though. How's everybody feeling about their prep so far?

Hi, everybody! Just signed up for the forum today, even though I've been taking the advice that I found here to heart. I'm about 75% through the Graffeo book material, and plan to take as many practice exams as I can (I have the spin up, Graffeo, and NCEES practice exams for now, will purchase more if I think I need to). I have been working in the NEC for all four years of work experience, but we do almost nothing with motors so I've still got a lot of review there. It looks like I'm a little late to the party in this thread, though. How's everybody feeling about their prep so far?
Sounds like you are on the right track.  I’d add the exams and study guide from Engineer Pro Guides personally.   

Your mileage may vary but I didn’t find much value in the Spin Up exams.  They were fine for testing the very basics but not much else.

I’m mid 30s - engineering is my second career, and I’ve just qualified in CO to take the exam (they changed the requirements slightly) six months earlier than I was originally going to take it. Good thing I don’t have kids, my poor husband puts up with a lot. I’m hoping to be a one and done. 

I’ve started @Zach Stone, P.E.‘s class, and I’m really liking the presentation of the material a lot. I’m supplementing with Engineering Pro Guides and I picked up a copy of Wildi already. I think Practice exams are going to be my make or break, and I’ve got 5 practice exams (NCEES, 2 PPI, 2 EngineeringProGuides), and I’m conseidering picking up Graffeo just for the practice exam. There’s also another practice exam about to be released, but not sure when. 

I’ve started @Zach Stone, P.E.‘s class, and I’m really liking the presentation of the material a lot. I’m supplementing with Engineering Pro Guides and I picked up a copy of Wildi already. I think Practice exams are going to be my make or break, and I’ve got 5 practice exams (NCEES, 2 PPI, 2 EngineeringProGuides), and I’m conseidering picking up Graffeo just for the practice exam. There’s also another practice exam about to be released, but not sure when. 
Glad to have you @MadamPirate, don't forget you can always email in any questions that you have in addition to asking them during each live class. 

Back