October 2019 15k SPAM Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had no plans to get a Masters, but when I worked for Lockheed Martin, I joined their "Leadership Development Program". One of the requirements was grad school. But it was super convenient. Lockheed and NASA had an agreement with the local university and they would teach grad classes on site after work for the employees. And since it was all working students, the professors were super understanding about workload. A couple of the professors were also senior engineers at work. It took me 5 years to finish, because I'd only take 1 (occasionally 2) classes a semester, but it was a pretty good deal. (Also Lockheed paid for everything.)
I kinda wish I had waited to get my masters/see if my company would have paid for it, because that is literally my main debt I still have.  I took a one-year MEng degree, which didn't require defending a thesis, but required me to do research like I was going to defend as well as taking 18-credits per semester as well as an out-of-country trip to implement my research in Honduras.  Idk.  I think there were a ton of things I could have done differently, but I need to live with what I've done.

Kinda hoping I can do something is waste water when I get older, but, tbh, I wouldn't mind being a secretary and taking messages/ordering lunches/etc.  I don't think I was really cut out to be an engineer.

I don't think I was really cut out to be an engineer.
Yes you are, shaddup. JK is the best way!

I'm kinda/sorta the same way. I super value my work and I'm pretty good at it, buuuuut engineering was more a means to an end (respectable job, steady paycheck, blah blah..).

Kinda hoping I can get into academic advising or something when I get older, even as a volunteer.

I've thought about starting a farm, and then eventually quitting engineering once the farm is up and running. I read Start Your Farm by Ellen Polishuk and Forrest Pritchard, and from what I gathered you either must a) inherit farmland, or b) deal with leasing land from land owners. Also, you have to a) be a good salesman (I'm not), b) be good at social media (I'm not), and c) deal with not ever being able to make a lot of money.

Idk. Maybe one day I'll figure out how to be a farmer and quit the 9-5. There are actually some people here at work that raise cattle on the side, but they own land.

Now my career aspirations throughout my life, that's a much more interesting list.

Kid: Baseball player (I don't even remember this, but that's what my parents say)
Young Tween: Marine biologist (I love swimming and I loved animals)
Older Tween: Prostitute (sex for money sounded like a great career to a horny boy)
Young Teen: Standup comedian (I liked being class clown)
Older Teen: Physicist (This was the first time I was seriously thinking about career interests)
17+: Engineer (I didn't even know what engineering was until my high school calculus teacher introduced me to the idea)
I've learned way more about @jean15paul_PE today than I was anticipating.

I don't think I was really cut out to be an engineer.
Same..and yet, here we are. Some days i’m Still surprised I haven’t been canned yet.

But you? You wanted to do more diff eq...that’s pretty hard stuff right there. You have to be a lot more talented than you give yourself credit for.

I kinda wish I had waited to get my masters/see if my company would have paid for it, because that is literally my main debt I still have.  I took a one-year MEng degree, which didn't require defending a thesis, but required me to do research like I was going to defend as well as taking 18-credits per semester as well as an out-of-country trip to implement my research in Honduras.  Idk.  I think there were a ton of things I could have done differently, but I need to live with what I've done.

Kinda hoping I can do something is waste water when I get older, but, tbh, I wouldn't mind being a secretary and taking messages/ordering lunches/etc.  I don't think I was really cut out to be an engineer.
I don't think I was cut out to be one either, which is why I've strayed away from heavy design.

(I reaaaaaaaaaally enjoyed differential equations with linear algebra)
I shuddered a little bit, as I read this. Those classes represent the two lowest grades in my entire undergrad degree... Now, it should be noted that the math department at my school was the devil and really had it out for engineers, so the upper-level math classes that engineers had to take were brutal.

Same. Loved my grad school "advanced engineering mathematics" classes. Definitely not mathemagician-level work but way fancier than undergrad classes and really elegant when all said and done.
My DE course ended up being fun for me. Not so much for anyone else. I took DE in a fall semester, but during the summer before I found my dad's old DE textbook from when he was in college. I went through the book in about a week reading every chapter and working every problem, because I was bored and liked math. When I actually took DE I was really glad I knew what I was doing, because we had the hardest (but good) teacher that semester. There were a lot of drops that semester. I know this isn't surprising to most, but I was shocked when I took the course and I was thinking, "literally nothing has changed in math since my dad went to college." I also thought, "dang, my dad is smarter than I give him credit for."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back