October 2019 15k SPAM Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always wanted (still do) to be an astronaut. One of my brothers friends works for NASA. I’ve told him I’m jealous, but he’s says it’s a crappy job. He’s an EE.

I had babysitting jobs in HS, but was lucky I received scholarships and stipends for college, so I didn’t really need to work. I did lead a GS troop, and I worked at Walmart on two different occasions. Plus the intern (co-op) gig I did in college, which caused issues with my scholarship since I wasn’t full time a couple of semesters (lots of paperwork). I did manage to grad in 5 years, including my time at the internship.

Same with all of you? Like what jobs have you had before you were an engineer (or while you were an engineer if you have a side hustle)
1. Junior scientist/Lab technician - High school internship. I worked with a scientist and conducted my own research

2. Contempo Casuals (b.k.a. Wet Seal) - seasonal job while finishing out high school/entering college - wanted that store discount because who didn't want to dress like Britney Spears in the late 90s/early 2000s?

3. Engineering internship around junior year with a CM firm

4. Home Depot weekend job while working the internship during the week and taking 12-15 credits senior year. I didn't need the money. Not really sure why I did this.

5. Graduated and took the engineering job full time about a week after graduating

6. Running store associate at City Sports - Side hustle mid-career to get that running shoe and running gear discount

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, an aside to my job history, bby JK wanted to be a mortician when I was really young because my dad said, "Get a job that you'll always be in business.  People are born, people shit, and people die".  Obviously I took the die route, but I really enjoyed dissecting things and seeing how they worked.  Then when I was around 13/14 I wanted to be a veterinarian.  Actually did a lot of unpaid internships/work with a large animal/exotic vet nearby, mostly worked with horses and reptiles (specifically snakes).  Was actually going to apply to Cornell for pre-vet but my sister, who was already there as pre-vet, got really burned out after the 4-years and didn't even do the next 8-years of study.  So I quickly switched into engineering at Stony Brook.

I wish my parents were a little more...non-musiciany and could have helped me a bit more with jobs pre-college and even with the whole figuring out what to do while in college (my mom got a degree in kindergarten teaching, but never used her license/was a SOHM, and my dad was a teacher as well).  I wish I could do more construction oversight work again.  I enjoyed being outside all the time, keeping track of paperwork, learning new stuff.  I feel like I haven't really done any engineering since leaving college, so I'm ill-prepared compared to other engineers with the same amount of years in the industry.  Like, I have my PE, but I feel like I'll never be able to actually be an engineer.

JK is musing on self-failure this morning while drinking tea and watching guys attempt to install a trench box.

Also, an aside to my job history, bby JK wanted to be a mortician when I was really young because my dad said, "Get a job that you'll always be in business.  People are born, people shit, and people die".  Obviously I took the die route, but I really enjoyed dissecting things and seeing how they worked.  Then when I was around 13/14 I wanted to be a veterinarian.  Actually did a lot of unpaid internships/work with a large animal/exotic vet nearby, mostly worked with horses and reptiles (specifically snakes).  Was actually going to apply to Cornell for pre-vet but my sister, who was already there as pre-vet, got really burned out after the 4-years and didn't even do the next 8-years of study.  So I quickly switched into engineering at Stony Brook.

I wish my parents were a little more...non-musiciany and could have helped me a bit more with jobs pre-college and even with the whole figuring out what to do while in college (my mom got a degree in kindergarten teaching, but never used her license/was a SOHM, and my dad was a teacher as well).  I wish I could do more construction oversight work again.  I enjoyed being outside all the time, keeping track of paperwork, learning new stuff.  I feel like I haven't really done any engineering since leaving college, so I'm ill-prepared compared to other engineers with the same amount of years in the industry.  Like, I have my PE, but I feel like I'll never be able to actually be an engineer.

JK is musing on self-failure this morning while drinking tea and watching guys attempt to install a trench box.
I wanted to be an interior designer. Then a Coast Guard rescue swimmer. And then a ChemE lol

I had no choice to go STEM, except the M wasn't an option either lol

I wanted to be an interior designer. Then a Coast Guard rescue swimmer. And then a ChemE lol

I had no choice to go STEM, except the M wasn't an option either lol
I so badly wanted to go to grad school for something in advanced mathematics (I reaaaaaaaaaally enjoyed differential equations with linear algebra), but my dad was like, "What job are you going to get with these...Laplace transformations?"...so grad school was waste water treatment, something I really liked, but then I couldn't find a job in that...so consulting.  *sigh*

I've never had a non-engineering related job. My parents would not allow me to work when I was in high school. They wanted me 100% focused on school. And as soon as I started in college, I started with high paying summer internships in oil and gas. My work history looks like this...

Engineering intern (oil and gas, 4 summers)
Engineering co-op/research assistant (ship building)
Engineering intern (oil and gas)
Mechanical Engineer (aerospace)
Mechanical Engineers (ship building)
Mechanical Engineer (plastics manufacturing)

Last edited by a moderator:
Now my career aspirations throughout my life, that's a much more interesting list.

Kid: Baseball player (I don't even remember this, but that's what my parents say)
Young Tween: Marine biologist (I love swimming and I loved animals)
Older Tween: Prostitute (sex for money sounded like a great career to a horny boy)
Young Teen: Standup comedian (I liked being class clown)
Older Teen: Physicist (This was the first time I was seriously thinking about career interests)
17+: Engineer (I didn't even know what engineering was until my high school calculus teacher introduced me to the idea)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back