October 2019 15k SPAM Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious, RB, what else have you done?

Same with all of you? Like what jobs have you had before you were an engineer (or while you were an engineer if you have a side hustle)

I've work in half a dozen retail stores or so (including Sears, Payless, and Christopher &Banks), worked in the dishroom in the dining hall in college then switched to catering (which is partially how I paid for school - plus summer jobs & my mom's GI Bill), tutored, was an RA
Prior to engineer? Research Assistant, Tutor, Health Inspector, Lifeguard, and department store drone one Christmas season when I was 14 or 15..

It may sound strange, but it's a pretty straight logic line from Lifeguard to Nuclear Engineer.

Concurrent with engineering, I do some pro-bono genealogist and genetic genealogist stuff. Maybe one day I'll charge for my services but whatever I could get for it would be a fraction of what I could get doing PE work on the side. So it's really a hobby.

To be clear, I've wanted to do some sort of STEM since I was 4, so it's not like being a lifeguard led to being a NukeE.

Further, except for RA the jobs were seasonal and I did it for spending money during the school year.

To be clear, I've wanted to do some sort of STEM since I was 4
☝️ Same. My primary career plan, by age, in chronological order:

~4 - 6: Marine Biologist

6 - 9: Paleontologist

10 - 11: Undecided

12 - 13: Mechanical Engineer

13+: Civil Engineer

source-1.gif

I guess we now know how old you were when Jurassic Park came out.
You're not wrong.

As you can probably tell from my previous post, I was way into both whales and dinosaurs as a kid. I can't say definitively that I was into dinosaurs before Jurassic Park came out in theaters (looking it up now, I was a month short of my 5th birthday), but I feel like I was at least somewhat into dinosaurs at that point. The part where you're definitely not wrong is that seeing Jurassic Park took me over the edge in career aspirations from Marine Biology to Paleontology. 😁

As you can probably tell from my previous post, I was way into both whales and dinosaurs as a kid. I can't say definitively that I was into dinosaurs before Jurassic Park came out in theaters (looking it up now, I was a month short of my 5th birthday), but I feel like I was at least somewhat into dinosaurs at that point.
You learn a lot about people you'll never meet while you're on the internet.

Same with all of you? Like what jobs have you had before you were an engineer (or while you were an engineer if you have a side hustle)
Eng Tech/Drafter (age 15-19) (Engineering firm)
Project Engineer + Math Tutor (19-20) (Engineering firm + University)
Engineering Co-Op (20-21) (Mfg. Company)
Product Engineer (21-22) (Mfg. Company)
Electrical Engineer (22+) (Engineering Firm, Utilities)

There was never a time in my life where I thought I was going to be something other than an engineer. I originally wanted to do Mech, but since the University only offered Elec at the time, that's what I went with. I'm glad I went Elec.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eng Tech/Drafter (age 15-19) (Engineering firm)
Project Engineer + Math Tutor (19-20) (Engineering firm + University)
Engineering Co-Op (20-21) (Mfg. Company)
Product Engineer (21-22) (Mfg. Company)
Electrical Engineer (22+) (Engineering Firm, Utilities)

There was never a time in my life where I thought I was going to be something other than an engineer. I originally wanted to do Mech, but since the University only offered Elec at the time, that's what I went with. I'm glad I went Elec.
And I just got a huge automation project dumped on me, so it looks like I'm about to be a controls engineer.

HS - dance instructor/assistant, American Eagle Outfitters retail, catering co., babysitting

Undergrad - Architecture internships, AEO, eng. testing (soils and concrete cylinder breaks) internship, RR chief engineer's office internship, working the corner (kidding)

Grad - Assistantship with USACE 20h/week paid for grad school/fees and 1200 a month

but i went to architecture school and am technically also an architect so you all prob hate me even though i don't practice :p  

The Architecture major asks, "How pretty can I make it?"
The Engineering major asks, "How strong can I make it?"
The Liberal Arts major asks, "Do you want fries with that?"

In previous cycles, I would sneak in my results release guess into the spam thread or one of the vet-trafficed game threads. I can't really do that this session. New guys are too integrated into StB forums. Which is great!

but i went to architecture school and am technically also an architect so you all prob hate me even though i don't practice :p  
I have a lot of respect for architorture majors. It's a lot of work for not a lot of reward.

Besides, you (and @squaretaper PE) have PE's, you've slain the dragon; that makes you dragon slayers.

I have a lot of respect for architorture majors. It's a lot of work for not a lot of reward.

Besides, you (and @squaretaper PE) have PE's, you've slain the dragon; that makes you dragon slayers.
I remember being in studio so late and walking home by myself freshman year, that I took my T square with me for a self defense weapon.....lolol

The Architecture major asks, "How pretty can I make it?"
The Engineering major asks, "How strong can I make it?"
The Liberal Arts major asks, "Do you want fries with that?"
At my conference, I met the president of Boston Fusion.

She has a BA&MA in religion. She finagled her way into an engineering company and went on to get MS & PhD in Operations Research (which is a cool area of study, I took my finaly math elective in that for my math minor) but got the MS &PhD *after* being with the companies. She's worked for/with DARPA and has done some cool shit. It's an interesting path

Lifeguard and dishwasher during high school

Cherry sorter/bagger/boxer/forklift assistant, then Electrician helper during my junior college days

TA/Lab instructor, janitor, maintenance engineering intern, and software engineering intern during college

JK job life:

14-17; horseback riding assistant trainer/horse starter

16-17; Toys R' Us + Veterinarian unpaid assistant 

18; Food court at college to help pay undergrad

19-22; Part-time teller (38 hr/week) to help pay undergrad

23-24; Didn't work during grad school before getting into engineering

I...didn't really have time to apply for paying positions at my university since the job posting board was ultra whack, my schedule was weird due to it being engineering/chemistry/art, and a lot of the engineering internships were given to people who had volunteered in the labs (which I could never do due to working almost full-time a the bank).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back