October 2014 SE Test - Results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those in CA, the numbers are now up on the website :).

Also, I agree that experience plays a huge role. I didn't prepare as much as I "should" have either. While I don't have as much experience as rmanske, I am fortunate to work for a firm that works with all the materials, and everyday I am practicing. Also, knowing your reference materials throughly really helps. I use the all the standards and supporting guides regularly.

In fact, one thing I noticed that I seemed to do a little bit differently than others in the exam was that I brought in many more bound books than others -- the actual codes, corresponding guidebooks, and textbooks. I brought hardly any hand bound printouts or notes, and those that I did bring I barely used. I think this is because I just don't use these items in everyday practice, and I just don't know how to navigate them quickly & under pressure.

For those in CA, the numbers are now up on the website :).

Also, I agree that experience plays a huge role. I didn't prepare as much as I "should" have either. While I don't have as much experience as rmanske, I am fortunate to work for a firm that works with all the materials, and everyday I am practicing. Also, knowing your reference materials throughly really helps. I use the all the standards and supporting guides regularly.

In fact, one thing I noticed that I seemed to do a little bit differently than others in the exam was that I brought in many more bound books than others -- the actual codes, corresponding guidebooks, and textbooks. I brought hardly any hand bound printouts or notes, and those that I did bring I barely used. I think this is because I just don't use these items in everyday practice, and I just don't know how to navigate them quickly & under pressure.
Interesting. I also only have 6 years experience but work every day with all the SE exam materials including AASHTO. I put in 100 to 150 hours each attempt yet it still took me two tries each time. I also brought many bound references (and a few unbound of my own) but found I used each type equally. Probably because I use the bound resources a lot at my work rather than making my own notes and documents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet mother I finally passed! Lateral took me three shots but I'm better for it. I've been saving a Imperial Russian Stout bomber just for this occasion, bottoms up!

Went one-and-done with Lateral Bridges! Decided to only take one at a time, so I'll be cracking open the books again for the April Vertical exam. This forum has/continues to be an amazing resource for this test. Thanks to everyone who contributes and makes this such a great community!

Congrats to all the other "Acceptable"s and keep at it for those who missed this time.

NCEES just posted passing rates. I knew i was a loan wolf with bridges and the SE, but holy cow, less than 100 in the whole country took it? brutal

NCEES just posted passing rates. I knew i was a loan wolf with bridges and the SE, but holy cow, less than 100 in the whole country took it? brutal

Wow, I had no idea that there were that few bridge takers for the SE exam. Looking at the forum here I thought it would be a lot more based on the number of bridge takers who are active on here.

Man, those repeat taker scores are still really low. Statistically I'm amazed I passed. Just ordered my PE stamp and I think I checked the Maine PE license lookup about 30 times during that process to make sure it wasn't a dream. :)

Congrats to bgh5469, moose, and agostage!

Overall pass rates FYI:

Exam Volume Pass Rate

SE Vertical Bridges 51 45%

SE Lateral Bridges 77 40%

SE Vertical Buildings 490 34%

SE Lateral Buildings 458 36%

Last edited by a moderator:
Overall pass rates FYI:

Exam Volume Pass Rate

SE Vertical Bridges 51 45%

SE Lateral Bridges 77 40%

SE Vertical Buildings 490 34%