October 2014 SE Test - Results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In CA here. Just got an email from NCEES that I'm acceptable :). Nothing from the CA board, though.

Ugh, I just wanted to fail both or pass both! Just got word in from CT. Passed vertical, not so great on lateral. I guess I should have expected that with how little prep I did for lateral. Time to step it up a notch! 26/40 and 1 Unacceptable, 2 Needs Imp, 1 Acceptable afternoon. Sloppy.

Congrats to all who are done! I am incredibly envious haha.

I almost got the exact same results, Mike. On the one hand its great to be done with Vertical but I hate having to face Lateral again Especially when I think I could have passed it.

I wonder what the multiple choice cutoff was...

I almost got the exact same results, Mike. On the one hand its great to be done with Vertical but I hate having to face Lateral again Especially when I think I could have passed it.

I wonder what the multiple choice cutoff was...
Looking back, I'm fairly excited that I got 26 questions right. I focused way too much on vertical as I started studying way too late. A little surprised with the afternoon, but not too surprised. I think I gave myself false hope because of how easy I thought the lateral was compared to the vertical that I was much more prepared for and still kicked my ass, or so I thought. Or I stopped caring by day two!
In the end, I think it's best I didn't pass lateral. If I did, then I would have been just passing a test without having taken the time to learn the very material I intend to practice. What sucks is now I gotta learn ASCE 7-10 wind! And I'm expecting twins next month, so April is pretty much out for me.

You taking it in April you think, Dave? Best of luck to everyone that's still got work to do!

Yeah, almost forgot how lucky I was to not have to learn ASCE 7-10 wind (yet). Well, hopefully you don't have to buy the 2012 codes if you can get your work to pick them up (assuming they haven't already).

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that everyone designing structures is using by now ASCE 7-10, since was adopted in 01.01.2014. I can tell you that is not that scary as it looks. Actually is more organized, more clear and easier to follow. We don't like changes, specially that we see that every 3 or 5 years but I can tell you that I wouldn't go back to ASCE 7-05. Once you go through it one time you'll see that is okay.

I live and work in NJ, with 95% of my work in NJ. IBC 2009 is the governing building code, which adopt ASCE 7-05. NJ didn't like the new ASCE from what I heard, and is not releasing their standard every 3 year update. That means we're sticking with 05 here for many years. It's not so much resisting change, but that I have little use for it until I pass this thing haha.

Yeah, almost forgot how lucky I was to not have to learn ASCE 7-10 wind (yet). Well, hopefully you don't have to buy the 2012 codes if you can get your work to pick them up (assuming they haven't already).
Yeah, I'm lucky in that regard. All the guys I was taking the test with were on the hook for books and fees and all. I'd be the only person with the license in my company, so there's a lot of potential value there that they see in getting it. I won't take it if I have to foot the bill haha. It's just not expected of us. They paid for my travel, hotel, everything. I really can't complain.

This may end up being my first and only post to these forums, but FWIW I found out today that I passed both Vertical and Lateral on the first try. I'm 40 years old, have 3 kids ages 2, 4, and 7, and have a pretty demanding work and personal schedule. I only studied about 100 hours total for the exams and actually gave up studying 2 weeks before the exam due to family circumstances and a busy work schedule. (At that point I decided the October exam would be my practice run. In hindsight, my saving grace was probably the fact that I've been practicing in the field for over 15 years.) I flew out to San Diego from Colorado to take the exams and actually spent the day before the Vertical test at the beach and never cracked open a book to cram, as I had planned to do. (Again, probably a saving grace - I went into the exams well rested and with a clear head, which enabled me to get through all of the problems both days.) I never tabbed any of my books, didn't take any review courses, didn't study with anyone else, didn't participate in forums, etc. My strategy was to spend about 3 weeks studying vertical and bridges, and then about 5 weeks studying only lateral, and mostly steel structures at that. (Never studied wood or masonry, studied concrete for less than a week, but have practiced all extensively.) I spent the bulk of my study hours working and reading through practice problems for the areas I didn't know or remember as well - primarily the various LFRS for steel structures.

This is truly not to brag, but all that is to say, if I can pass under less than ideal circumstances, anyone can pass. Congrats if you passed, and don't give up if you haven't yet passed. Focus on the things you need the most improvement on, do as many practice problems as you can, and don't be cheap when it comes to buying the books or codes that will help you. (In total I probably invested close to $3,000 of my own money in this exam with travel, exam fees, and books. It's an investment in my career.) I brought a couple books to the exam that I literally tore the plastic off at the exam (PCA Notes being one of them - it's a must-have), and they ended up helping me solve some of the problems.

Good luck!

Congrats! I was hoping to do the same. I'm 29 and probably studied about the same amount. I came to this board probably a month before the test and stumbled upon the suggested amount of studying time and thought "oh ****". Needless to say, I wasn't thrilled to get unacceptable on Lateral, but considering my studying was 99% just reading through the SERM, I had really no business sitting for the lateral at that point and should just be happy I was able to get 26 right with that kind of preparation (but with a lot of work needed on the afternoon).

Right now, I'm looking at it like a blessing because I actually SHOULD learn this stuff rather than just try to skate by in a test for a very sought after license, but I'm not sure I'm going to be saying that in a couple of months when I've got newborns keeping me up every night haha. I don't want to miss a moment of them growing up, so I was hoping to not have to bury my head in any books again.

SERM...what a worthless book. Here are the 3 books that I did practice problems from that helped me the most:

Structural Engineering PE License Review Problems and Solutions: http://amzn.com/1427738378

SEAOC Structural/Seismic Design Manual 2009 IBC Vol 3: Building Design Examples for Steel and Concrete: http://amzn.com/1609832124

16-Hour Structural Engineering (SE) Practice Exam for Buildings: http://amzn.com/159126460X

I found that just working through problems and doing my best to understand them caused me to learn the material along the way. At the time I thought I spent way too long on a few particular problems, making mistakes, and trying understand everything since you have to move so quickly in the exam, but in reality, spending that time and making the mistakes during the practice problems probably prepared me well for the actual exam. (Don't neglect practicing bridge problems either - people seem to give up on bridge but if you just spend a week or two working problems from the practice exam, you'll be fairly well prepared.)

Congrats on your upcoming twins! That's a tall order to be expecting twins and sit for the lateral exam again, but at least it's just 1 test instead of both. Don't put too much pressure on yourself...just do what you can between now and then. Family first no matter what. The SE stuff will eventually work itself out.

SERM...what a worthless book. Here are the 3 books that I did practice problems from that helped me the most:

Structural Engineering PE License Review Problems and Solutions: http://amzn.com/1427738378

SEAOC Structural/Seismic Design Manual 2009 IBC Vol 3: Building Design Examples for Steel and Concrete: http://amzn.com/1609832124

16-Hour Structural Engineering (SE) Practice Exam for Buildings: http://amzn.com/159126460X

I found that just working through problems and doing my best to understand them caused me to learn the material along the way. At the time I thought I spent way too long on a few particular problems, making mistakes, and trying understand everything since you have to move so quickly in the exam, but in reality, spending that time and making the mistakes during the practice problems probably prepared me well for the actual exam. (Don't neglect practicing bridge problems either - people seem to give up on bridge but if you just spend a week or two working problems from the practice exam, you'll be fairly well prepared.)

Congrats on your upcoming twins! That's a tall order to be expecting twins and sit for the lateral exam again, but at least it's just 1 test instead of both. Don't put too much pressure on yourself...just do what you can between now and then. Family first no matter what. The SE stuff will eventually work itself out.

rmanske - you wouldn't happen to want to sell me that 16hr practice exam book, would you?

I think I am going to put the SE License on the back-burner and focus on passing the PE in April. If I could go back, I would have taken the PE Exam instead. It just makes more sense at this point in my career. It will get me jurisdiction in most states and is much easier to pass. For some reason they won't let me take the PE Exam on Friday (4/17/15) and the SE Lateral Exam on Saturday (4/18/15). So it looks like I'll be taking the Lateral next October.

I initially thought you had to pass the SE Exam to obtain CA PE stamp but I'm finding that isn't the case. You need to pass the PE first along with a couple of CA special exams.

Oh and don't worry about ASCE 7-10 Wind. I have found it is clearer and better organized. It takes a little getting used to but it's better. Don't let it intimidate you. There's actually a lot of similarity between it and ASCE 7-05

Last edited by a moderator:
I PASSED! Thats both tests in the bag....congrats to everyone who passed, condolences to those who didnt...I didnt pass the lateral the first time, so there are second chances!!

...My strategy was to spend about 3 weeks studying vertical and bridges, and then about 5 weeks studying only lateral, and mostly steel structures at that. (Never studied wood or masonry, studied concrete for less than a week, but have practiced all extensively.) I spent the bulk of my study hours working and reading through practice problems for the areas I didn't know or remember as well - primarily the various LFRS for steel structures...

I think it's more fair to say your strategy was to have 15 years of practical expereince. Good work.

I think I am going to put the SE License on the back-burner and focus on passing the PE in April. If I could go back, I would have taken the PE Exam instead. It just makes more sense at this point in my career. It will get me jurisdiction in most states and is much easier to pass. For some reason they won't let me take the PE Exam on Friday (4/17/15) and the SE Lateral Exam on Saturday (4/18/15). So it looks like I'll be taking the Lateral next October.

I initially thought you had to pass the SE Exam to obtain CA PE stamp but I'm finding that isn't the case. You need to pass the PE first along with a couple of CA special exams.

Oh and don't worry about ASCE 7-10 Wind. I have found it is clearer and better organized. It takes a little getting used to but it's better. Don't let it intimidate you. There's actually a lot of similarity between it and ASCE 7-05
Dave, definitely do that. Get that PE first. I've had mine for 3 years before entertaining this behemoth. knowing how well you did on this, I'll say passing the PE is in the bag for you as long as you know how to use an index in the CERM!

...My strategy was to spend about 3 weeks studying vertical and bridges, and then about 5 weeks studying only lateral, and mostly steel structures at that. (Never studied wood or masonry, studied concrete for less than a week, but have practiced all extensively.) I spent the bulk of my study hours working and reading through practice problems for the areas I didn't know or remember as well - primarily the various LFRS for steel structures...

I think it's more fair to say your strategy was to have 15 years of practical expereince. Good work.
I agree with you. Having 15 years of good experience counts a lot. I had also like 6-7 years of experience in residential area which didn't help much so my study time was +5 months plus I have to retake the Vertical part. Also I have a friend who took the test few years ago and prepared less than 2 weeks for the test and passed both parts at once. He had good educational background and works for a reputable company. That makes a BIG difference! That's why when somebody is asking how much time do you need to put into preparation, is almost impossible to predict because it all depends on the candidate's experience and education.

Definitely Congratulations because whoever passed this test fully deserved it.

c

I agree with you. Having 15 years of good experience counts a lot. I had also like 6-7 years of experience in residential area which didn't help much so my study time was +5 months plus I have to retake the Vertical part. Also I have a friend who took the test few years ago and prepared less than 2 weeks for the test and passed both parts at once. He had good educational background and works for a reputable company. That makes a BIG difference! That's why when somebody is asking how much time do you need to put into preparation, is almost impossible to predict because it all depends on the candidate's experience and education.

Definitely Congratulations because whoever passed this test fully deserved it.

Ha...good point. I didn't think of it as a strategy at the time, but I suppose 15 years gives you a lot of time to see many different types of real-world problems and teaches you how to come to solutions for them more efficiently over time. I had read an article in one of the pubs (Structures Magazine?) that said you need about 200 to 300 hours to pass the SE exam, and it was written by someone from a reputable company. I took that as 'gospel' and was convinced I'd fail because I might have gotten to 100 hours. Thus Agostage makes a great point - the amount of prep time required to pass truly varies by person and the experiences that got them to that point.

Even if I'd failed, I would have seen the whole thing as a learning experience and just gotten back on the horse to take it again. The test wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be and when I finished, I knew that if I didn't pass this time, I eventually would.

For both I probably put in around 100 hours. I don't see how anyone can study 300 hours. I was feeling burnt out and had gone through all of my sample questions & tests multiple times. And I felt prepared for the most part. The lateral exam caught me on a bad day and I'm confident I can pass it next time. Especially since vertical is out of the way.

I'm gonna get those PCA notes for next time.

Back