October 2007

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the morning was ridiculously easy and the afternoon ridiculously hard (transportation). But I started thinking about the problems and I wouldn't change the answers to any of them that I put down. I honestly feel that I did the best I could and I really hope that was enough. I don't know if there was any additional information that I could have studied that would have made a difference. I am very grateful that I knew my reference material inside and out b/c that was key to me answering some of the questions pretty quickly.

I took the exam in Orlando and they had enough room for all of us to sit at a table by ourselves. We started late b/c of all the people who had to check in and I think they got our proctors from a nearby nursing home. And I had the honor to sit directly under a vent (even the 2 pairs of socks didn't help).

They had one clock that was tiny in the front of the room and they wouldn't let us put our watches on the table either.

The woman at the table next to me talked to herself in a sing-song voice most of the exam (thank God for the earplugs). I almost threw my pencil at her to make her stop.

The good thing about the exam is that I saw a lot of people from the FDOT that I used to work with and got to play catch up with them.

It will be either a good Christmas or a very sad Christmas this year.

For some reason, they didn't let us into the exam room until 8:00 (doors were suposed to be closed at 7:15), and the test didn't start until 8:35. I got there at 6:45 so it made for a pretty long day. Plus, it was raining while we were waiting around outside. Nice.

I went mechanical/machine design.

I took the Civil/Structural exam.

The morning was harder than the afternoon for me. I felt that some of the enviro/water resources questions were tough. Since this is the last NCEES exam for me, I damn well should have had an easier time for the structural afternoon.

I believe that I made or broke the exam on the morning portion.

We'll see if I pass. :dunno:

Last edited by a moderator:
Standard white pencil for us, I am starting a collection with the one I got from the EIT.

Our morning session started a little late 8:15 because of some guy that couldn't decide if he wanted to change seats. We were released late for lunch as well because of the same guy got up and was talking to the proctor after he turned in his exam to the wrong person.

The afternoon was late because one of the proctors waited to pass out her exams. Her section got theirs after everyone else in the room had theirs, I felt bad for them as it would only raise my stress level.

The proctors were a good mix, however a lot of them were older. The "head" proctor read the instructions and got stuck by saying we had 2 hours to complete, on top of that she called 15 minute warning with an hour 15 minutes remaining, the roar from the mob in both instances was a little satisfying.

Best part was the woman complaing before it started that she needed an hour lunch to pump, the prcotor walked away from her leaving her with an OMG expression on her face. :eek:hmy: I think she ended pumping during the exam.

It will be either a good Christmas or a very sad Christmas this year.

Christmas will be the same in NY, as our results don't arrive till just after New Year.

I'm glad i heard others get told not to leave their watches on the desk, my proctor (kinda gruffly) told me pick up watch and put it on my wrist, he didn't explain that it was a "new rule" and i almost started to argue with him, but i figured it wouldn't be a good way to start the day. What could be the reasoning behind the rule anyway?

I did Str II (Bridge) this time. The questions are more difficult and in depth than Str I.

Seismic problems in the afternoon are harder. But the time is still enough.

Although there are many stuffs I am not quite sure. But there are definitely chances to pass.

another silly rule :

NO HOODIES??

it POURED down rain friday morning . . . so of course there were a bunch of people with rain jackets . . .

"anyone wearing a jacket with a hood please place them in a box in the hallway"

what the ??!?!!!

as for the exam . . . i get SOOOO tired of playing the "convert the units" game.!!!

you'd figure at this point in our lives we are done playing games.

Best part was the woman complaing before it started that she needed an hour lunch to pump, the prcotor walked away from her leaving her with an OMG expression on her face. :eek:hmy: I think she ended pumping during the exam.
My friend is in med school and they have to take similar long exams and there is a woman suiing nationally because of a pumping issue. I so would not be able to concerntrate if someone was doing that next to me.

Also, I'm pretty sure that if 911 had been called, I would have lost all concentration.

They let us wear the hooded jackets, you just couldn't put the hoods up over your head. I was glad because I all I had have are hooded jackets and it got pretty cool in the testing room.

I thought the morning was ridiculously easy and the afternoon ridiculously hard (transportation).
It's been said that's the way to pass... get a solid 35 in the morning and all you need are 20 in the afternoon. Even if you only knew 10 in the afternoon, you could likely guess well enough to get 10/30 on the rest if you eliminate one of the choices.

The room was comfortable, and the table space was fine. I thought the temperature was perfect, not too cool, not too hot...I felt like crap because i was getting over a sickness, but not directly the fault of the exam Gods (i think).

The table actually was about the size of the desk I had been using at home for my studies so i laid out my resources in the same manner and it was great.

No speculation on how i did...it was about what i expected. I could have been a little better prepared, but i knew that going in.

I'm just glad it's over...for now! :bananalama:

Also, I'm pretty sure that if 911 had been called, I would have lost all concentration.
It was really weird - all of the proctors (and there were probably 12-15) immediately ran over to that area. Everybody taking the exam kind of stopped and looked at each other as if to say "what do we do" which quickly turned into "sucks to be you" and went right back to work. There was a bit of commotion in the area where it was going on - I suppose fortunately it was kind of in the corner so was fairly easy to tune out - but I'm sure it was very distracting for people close to the action. I wondered if the person ended up staying to finish the test.

I did notice one guy came back with his bathroom pass while all this was going on and probably waited 5 minutes to get his test back since all the proctors were occupied. No additional time was given or anything so I bet somebody may use the incident to protest.

It was really weird - all of the proctors (and there were probably 12-15) immediately ran over to that area. Everybody taking the exam kind of stopped and looked at each other as if to say "what do we do" which quickly turned into "sucks to be you" and went right back to work.
One time in college the fire alarm went off during a soils lab. We all continued to work until our professor came back in the room and said to us, "Are you crazy? There's a fire! Get out of the building!" They had to do the same throughout the building...engineers don't sway off course very easily.

It's been said that's the way to pass... get a solid 35 in the morning and all you need are 20 in the afternoon. Even if you only knew 10 in the afternoon, you could likely guess well enough to get 10/30 on the rest if you eliminate one of the choices.

now where did you hear that? I was thinking the same thing about 60% correct to pass...I could get 55 correct and be a "shoe in" but on test day I heard that you need 60 correct (75%) and then today someone told me you need 80% to pass...Obviously, my confidence is fading with people throwing numbers like that around.

now where did you hear that? I was thinking the same thing about 60% correct to pass...I could get 55 correct and be a "shoe in" but on test day I heard that you need 60 correct (75%) and then today someone told me you need 80% to pass...Obviously, my confidence is fading with people throwing numbers like that around.
I don't think you really need to get yourself to worked up, I doubt the people who are giving you those numbers really know anything about the grading of the exam. You did your best, relax for a little while and hope that your efforts paid off.

There's plenty of anecdotal evidence on what it takes to get a 69% converted score... it's close to 55 answers give or take a handful. I don't think there's any anecdotal evidence that someone got a raw 79% (nor probably even a 75%) and failed.

Regardless, you shouldn't care what your score is if you pass... and if you don't, you'll get some diagnostics that will answer it definitively for you.

I thought the morning was ridiculously easy and the afternoon ridiculously hard (transportation).

Jenevans,

I agree with you, and I also took the transpo afternoon. I felt like I left at lunch with a solid 30 in the morning, and fairly comfortable with 4-5 more. I think I could easily get 33 in the morning, I sure hope that turns into a PE number!!! I felt OK with about 30 in the afternoon too, but I found this test to be WAY more ambiguous than the past exams I've taken, so I can't be as confident as I would like.

I also agree that I don't think I could have studied one more thing that would have helped me pass this test. I'm not sure what the goal is with this one, but it sure seems like they've changed the format slightly. It'll be interesting to see the pass percentage. I can't really tell if overall it was easier, or harder than the past 3 i've taken, but it sure was different.

Good luck to you though!

i get SOOOO tired of playing the "convert the units" game.!!!
Convert the units problems are easy money. I'll take all I can get. Any problem I can stare at and just cancel/convert units without applying real engineering concepts to it works for me.

Latest posts

Back