OCT 2016 exam pencil color will be... ???

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is only one explanation for this pencil color fiasco. I'm pretty sure the pencils started out super dark green so it appeared black. Then during shipment across the country, some boxes of pencils were exposed to extreme temperature changes that faded the pigment and made those pencils appear dark green.

I would be interested to see that when @ptatohed gets his "black" pencil from CA, and if it ships across the county that by the time it gets to him it might indeed be....dark green.

There is only one explanation for this pencil color fiasco. I'm pretty sure the pencils started out super dark green so it appeared black. Then during shipment across the country, some boxes of pencils were exposed to extreme temperature changes that faded the pigment and made those pencils appear dark green.

I would be interested to see that when @ptatohed gets his "black" pencil from CA, and if it ships across the county that by the time it gets to him it might indeed be....dark green.
@SE_FL so you are the one who gave this idea of using black pencil with temperature dependent pigment to NCEES to destroy @ptatohed's pencil color theory.

Dead serious here folks, but i took the Cali PE in Pomona and my pencil was absolutely White and stamped with October 2016.

It could be a new mood pencil from Ronco?? Remember the mood ring
3bc19e6916d3109c91962c09d7589c5b.jpg

Oh no.  I heard that the testing sites that had black pencils are going to be graded by hand due to the wrong lead.    Extra 6 weeks at best = early March?

Oh no.  I heard that the testing sites that had black pencils are going to be graded by hand due to the wrong lead.    Extra 6 weeks at best = early March?
That doesn't leave much time to study for April.

Hahaha, I love that ncees is messing with ptatohed.

The theory of the pencil is dying around here.
Yes, this is really upsetting my half-baked, crack-pot NCEES pencil color theory!

Dead serious here folks, but i took the Cali PE in Pomona and my pencil was absolutely White and stamped with October 2016.
What do you mean by "absolutely white"?  You mean a white body with what color rubber grip, font, pocket clip, and eraser holder?  Black or Green?

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so here is a picture of "my" (given to me by a friend) pencil from the Pomona CA testing site.  Color = black.

P1070817.JPG

Yup. That's what I got. it's definitely black, not dark green.

Kinda wish we would have gotten the green one, looks nicer.
I took the exam in Sacramento,CA and the color was dark green. Exam proctors had red color pencils.

What color was the stamp?  White on white seems problematic.
It was black grip and black stamp on white. For whatever reason, I thought that people were receiving a different base color with black or white grips...

Latest posts

Back