OCT 2016 exam pencil color will be... ???

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As in poisonous? Or it wouldn't write?
No, obviously nothing like that. I think it had to do with the scanners not being able to accurately grade the exams because the wrong lead was loaded into the pencils. It caused a huge delay in the results being released. There was also a lot of grading errors as some had to be graded by hand. It was a big mess. I think there was a thread about it.

I also heard from someone that I used to work with that unused pencils are put back onto the stock, therefore, there may be some pencils with bad lead in them still in circulation. If you get a bad pencil, you might end up with grading errors. Hopefully the errors would get caught in quality control. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Green? odd. At the Pomona Fairplex we got white/black, same as April's color. :huh:

Mine was green as well. In fact I got two of them because I found one dropped outside after the test was over. I almost walked by it and then decided to snag it.

Green? odd. At the Pomona Fairplex we got white/black, same as April's color. :huh:
@Klox23

Really?! That's not good. NCEES requires that the states alternate colors. I hope they don't invalidate results.

Last edited by a moderator:
This could be worse than the fitbit shit storm of April 2016.

Probably going to get some flack for this, but you all aren't referring to the color of the lead, right?  Or have people been referring to the color of the pencil itself?  White/green casing for the Oct 2016 exam.

Probably going to get some flack for this, but you all aren't referring to the color of the lead, right?  Or have people been referring to the color of the pencil itself?  White/green casing for the Oct 2016 exam.
I had clear lead in my pencil. It was weird.

Yes, the obsession is with the color of the pencil itself, not the lead.

Sadly, I am a potential PE!  Hey in my mind, it made sense that NCEES might change the lead color so there would be no question about markings in references.  But I stand corrected now, as you all have so graciously/sarcastically spelled out the joke to me.  Hoping that the Oct '16 pencil will be the only one I collect.

Also, not from Kentucky.  I lived in Florida (I know, I know, potentially even worse) up until about a year and a half ago, and now I'm temporarily calling Louisiana (I know... I know) home.

Sadly, I am a potential PE!  Hey in my mind, it made sense that NCEES might change the lead color so there would be no question about markings in references.  But I stand corrected now, as you all have so graciously/sarcastically spelled out the joke to me.  Hoping that the Oct '16 pencil will be the only one I collect.

Also, not from Kentucky.  I lived in Florida (I know, I know, potentially even worse) up until about a year and a half ago, and now I'm temporarily calling Louisiana (I know... I know) home.
No wonder you're confused.

Latest posts

Back