non-eng job after college

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a friend that moved to America at 13 from a war torn country and couldn't speak english. He joined the US National Guard and got his school paid for (BS/MEng) and has worked at multiple national companies. Others *gasp* paid for school by working full time or took out MINIMAL loans, went on co-op and saved their money (1 year minimal co-op to graduate at my school).

I don't know why I bother...I've read your other posts here and you seem to take a woe is me approach to it all. You assume because you have an engineering degree people should grovel at your feet. I'm well respected and people perk up when I say I have an engineering degree. Maybe you're an arrogant engineer (I've met many) therefore no one respects you.
I simply have sympathy for the little guy, why should one have to conscript themselves into the military just to get a decent education, the military is certianly not for everyone and your ability to succed in the military has no correlation to how good of an engineer or scientist someone can be, you dont see rich people doing that or congressmans kids. If this friend of yours somehow got a green card from a war torn country then you and people around you are extremely lucky, most green cards are litterally on a lottery system, you litterally have to win the lottery to come here. For every friend of yours that had all the planets align there are 1000's that did not. Not saying thats a bad thing when that happens, thats way cool but the problem is what about these 1000's of other people, do you think they are just going to fade off into the night so you can enjoy your latte and drive your 20k car on your 40$/hr while they are barrely making ends meet, or these days not making ends meet anymore.

Granted there are thoes in thoes 1000's that are simply lazy and wont pick up a book to save their lives, I know them. If it were only the intellectually lazy that were allowed to fall on hard times then law enforcement can deal with them, when a majority of the population who otherwise might be smart and motivated (but did not have the stars align for them) start to fall on hard times because they were mathimaticly denied entry to the new aristocracy there will be hell to pay.

Your latte wont taste as good when you are constantly worried about being robbed no matter what neighborhood you are in or when forclosures pick up speed becuase food and gas prices increase as wages decrease, access to higher education is strangled, etc.

I understand that this is just the way it is but eventually the piper is going to have to be paid and im not talking about student loan defaults but the denigration of our society.

Maybe the bolded is the right answer but you would really have to like your full time job to be willing to work it for 10 years while you go to school part time (unless your a genious and can work 40 hrs and take 18 credits of brutal engineering ciriculum) or live at home and work part time and go to school almost full time (if you have the option of living at home), lots of things have to happen in order to make these things work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back