New Mechanical PE specifications for the April 2017 exams

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi spacebanjo,

I would not suggest bringing the API or B31 codes.  Those codes are quite large.  In my opinion you should only be aware of the codes and when they are used.  For a test taker to test those codes would not prove that an individual is competent as a Thermal and Fluids engineer.  I could see testing someone with these codes, who is a pipe/pump inspector.  I know in the fuel and fire protection industry there are pump inspectors and API certifications, where some of these codes are tested.  

Not sure why it would recommend you bring B31.3.  That code is primarily used in pipe flex calculations and there's software out there, such as CAESAR II, that's industry standard for that.  B31.3 certainly has good material but I can't really see a scenario where they can really test that without being absolutely specific to that industry.

Based on the specs does it look like heat transfer content will remain the same?

My past attempts at TF, HT seemed to linger around fundamentals. 

This is where the new METS reference manual is confusing for me on what to expect... the book uses differential equations quite a bit. 

Based on the specs does it look like heat transfer content will remain the same?

My past attempts at TF, HT seemed to linger around fundamentals. 

This is where the new METS reference manual is confusing for me on what to expect... the book uses differential equations quite a bit. 
It's unlikely you will need to perform diff eq calculations on the exam, but you will need to know what equation to use.

Back