New Mechanical PE specifications for the April 2017 exams

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Units are split in the other exams
Good observation.  This simplifies the fluid mechanic and thermodynamic questions on the HVAC+R exam.

Not testing for PM is a very bad, IMO.
Project management is important, but if the problems are focused on something project managers would easily answer and has nothing to do with engineering in the practical or theoretical sense, I would disagree.  To me, project management fails when the project manager sets wild, unrealistic goals and tells no one about it.  I've never been a project manager, but I've called out blatantly obvious "promising the moon" situations as soon as I saw them. :angry:

As for difficulty, I thought the PM was easier than the AM.
I thought the PM average difficulty per problem was greater than the AM average difficulty per problem, even if a couple AM problems were written in Chinese (in a figurative sense).  I finished the first pass of the AM problems with 90 minutes left.  I finished the first pass of the PM problems (HVAC+R PM exam) with about 40 minutes left. 

As I noted, it's been my experience that project management is important to engineering functions.  I've been working as an engineer for going on 20 years.  Furthermore, nearly every single job description I see advertised asks for candidates to have experience with project management.  What has been your experience?  Based on my experience, NCEES needs to pull their heads out of their collective asses on this.  At least they have kept it in for the MD exam. :wacko:

What has been your experience?
I have about 9 years of experience in the architectural/engineering field.  I have seen most of the spectrum of project management.  The best project managers are very open about the projects in allowing input from the project members, giving updates on the project, and don't setup their projects to fail.    

Honestly though, do you really think those PM questions on the PE exam make you a better project manager?  They were almost a joke, if you ask me. 

Honestly though, do you really think those PM questions on the PE exam make you a better project manager?  They were almost a joke, if you ask me. 
No matter how easy or difficult the actual exam questions may be, requiring that an engineer prepare for the subject matter, or not as the case in the new exams is what is important because it forces review of the material.  Do you think you're a worse engineer for knowing how to do well on project management questions?

Yes, you're right. Check out 

Thermal and Fluids Systems Reference Manual for the Mechanical PE Exam
I just received my copy of this manual (METS) and from a quick glance it appears to be "comprehensive" for the TFS PE exam as it states on the cover of the manual.  I'm kind of torn on if I i should purchase the MERM at this point?  In the introduction of the METS it states that it is assumed that you already have the MERM and the two books are independent of each other. It also states that the MERM includes all the necessary appendices (steam/air properties, friction factors, etc.) that are needed for the exam which is not included in METS.  If the METS is truly comprehensive is it really worth spending ~$250-300 on the MERM for only the appendices?  

So far I have accumulated the following prep material

Items needed

• MERM?
  • MERM Appendices or "other engineering references" (as stated in the METS)?
  • Crane TP-410 USCS or other (for friction factors, press, etc)?
  • Others?
To save on some cash I would prefer not to buy the MERM so hopefully the reference materials I've listed especially for the steam tables, air tables, etc. are adequate. 

I just received my copy of this manual (METS) and from a quick glance it appears to be "comprehensive" for the TFS PE exam as it states on the cover of the manual.  I'm kind of torn on if I i should purchase the MERM at this point?  In the introduction of the METS it states that it is assumed that you already have the MERM and the two books are independent of each other. It also states that the MERM includes all the necessary appendices (steam/air properties, friction factors, etc.) that are needed for the exam which is not included in METS.  If the METS is truly comprehensive is it really worth spending ~$250-300 on the MERM for only the appendices?  

So far I have accumulated the following prep material

Items needed

• MERM?
  • MERM Appendices or "other engineering references" (as stated in the METS)?
  • Crane TP-410 USCS or other (for friction factors, press, etc)?
  • Others?
To save on some cash I would prefer not to buy the MERM so hopefully the reference materials I've listed especially for the steam tables, air tables, etc. are adequate. 
No one is going to be able to tell you for sure, but I will tell you this: I'd rather have the MERM for the exam and not need it than not have it and need it.  Hopefully, after this first pass on the new format, you and others like you can help shed some light on whether the METS successfully replaces the MERM or not.  I don't envy the position you're in.  Maybe you can get some written clarification from PPI??

Yes, you should have MERM, as that's the main book, and METS will be the main book for the thermal portion.

Note on METS - A companion to Mechanical Engineering Reference Manual for the PE Exam, 13th Edition, this manual will be essential in your preparation for the Mechanical PE: Thermal and Fluids Systems exam.

Thanks,

Are the practice problems in METS different than MERM? That'd be a great alternative than to hunt down NCEES 2001 exam book.

I have also found MERM to be useful after the exam. I have to prepare fairly in-depth calculations (most by hand, no modeling). MERM has been great as a reference book, for equations or properties. Even if you don't use it on the exam day because METS is enough, its good to have down the road. YMMV.

Are the practice problems in METS different than MERM? That'd be a great alternative than to hunt down NCEES 2001 exam book.
I plan on comparing the METS to a friend's MERM13 on Monday and will post back.

Also found a good deal on a used MERM12 and bought it. Hopefully it's not too outdated.

Thanks that would be great to, not sure why PPI doesnt just mention it on their site.

So far it appears to me that the METS is essentially most of the TFS portion taken out of MERM, but worded differently. However, the METS does often give more details on how an equation is derived compared to the MERM. The METS virtually has none of the tables, charts, properties, etc. that are needed for the exam and frequently references the reader to the MERM without telling the reader where exactly to go in the MERM.  The METS does provide 88 end-of-topic practice problems that appear to be new.  It’s probably worth noting that about 1/3 of the problems are not multiple choice. 

My hopes were that METS would essentially replace the MERM so I wouldn't have to carry around a massive book that is half filled with material I don’t need for the exam.  Now I’m essentially left with a book that can't replace the MERM, but doesn't provide much in value as a companion.  I understand everyone including PPI has some catching up to do with the new specs, but I am disappointed this book is marketed as “comprehensive” and “offers complete coverage” as seen on PPI’s website when it clearly does not. This may sound harsh, but METS seems like simply a money grab.

I should say this is all based on a couple hours spent comparing the two so maybe I shouldn’t be so critical.  Maybe once I dive into studying I will start to notice additional material that is covered in METS that is left out of MERM.  I’ll be interested to see what others think of METS.

TLDR: METS=TFS taken from MERM reworded with sometimes more details on how equations are derived. 88 new problems.  No appendices, tables, charts, properties, etc are included.  Probably not worth the $150+ price tag IMO.

88 problems and some new material sounds like it is worth it...i do believe the MERM is a must. I ordered the METS and once received, i will also do a comparison. Sucks this is my last of 3 attempts at the exam so Im nervous about how indepth NCEES will go in the actual exam... any help with practice problems is a step closer to passing.

I plan on comparing the METS to a friend's MERM13 on Monday and will post back.

Also found a good deal on a used MERM12 and bought it. Hopefully it's not too outdated.
There is practically no difference between MERM12 and MERM13 unless you are taking the HVAC exam.  

I got the METS yesterday and started reading through it. Its a good setup of chapters that basically reflect what is in the MERM... wording is a bit different which I think is a good thing because its like getting the same lesson from two professors... the problems are unique and comprehensive for the chapter so u can grasp concepts like lindberg. Differences I seen include more info on certain power cycles, cooling towers, and other new 2017 specs. The last chapter is supportive knowledge which gets into some of the AM specialty material (econ, joints, etc)... again a shorter, to-the-point version of the MERM. 

I am happy with the purchase. With NCEES exam book, SMS TF, MERM and mow METS... i have enough practice problems to keep me busy and just work through multiple times until April exam.

The 6MS recommends bringing the following references:

API 570-1998 "Piping Inspection Code.."

API 682-2004 "Pumps -Shaft Sealing Systems for Centrifugal and Rotary Pumps"

B31.3 "ASME Process Piping"

BPVC

I am not sure this recommendation would apply under the old exam much less the new exam. Thoughts? Are detailed code handbooks applicable to new format? 

The 6MS recommends bringing the following references:

API 570-1998 "Piping Inspection Code.."

API 682-2004 "Pumps -Shaft Sealing Systems for Centrifugal and Rotary Pumps"

B31.3 "ASME Process Piping"

BPVC

I am not sure this recommendation would apply under the old exam much less the new exam. Thoughts? Are detailed code handbooks applicable to new format? 
I'd say they are not required for the exam. IMHO none of those codes would have helped me, they would only consume your time while searching them. Your exam time is already scarce, I'd leave them home; choice is yours.

PS, the Civil PE exam specifications from NCEES (link) call out codes that are applicable to the exam, and Mechanical does not. 

Back