New Mechanical PE specifications for the April 2017 exams

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems that's what NCEES is suggesting. If not in name, at least by inference.

There is often so much overlap in industry, I question the value in this decision. The genius of the breadth/depth setup was that there was so much material, that it forces the examinees to study material they haven't seen in a long time and become comfortable with it. Even if one doesn't see that material on the test they will have some knowledge of it and can understand the basics -- remember, "minimally qualified." I know I benefitted from this.
probably because too many people (i.e. millennials who bitch about everything being unfair) were complaining about having to study for topics that were outside their normal areas, they got tired of hearing it can caved to the masses.  They did the same thing to the FE exams.  They are tailored to the topic instead of testing a general knowledge base.  

Should there be different licenses for TF, MM and HVAC?
Most states do not even differentiate between mechanical, civil, electrical, etc.   I think it's unlikely this will happen.   

Kind of sucks now that the resale value of practice problem books and sample exams will take a hit now.  Hope I passed the October exam(MM depth).  It will suck to have to buy another practice exam book or study for a different exam format.  

Kind of sucks now that the resale value of practice problem books and sample exams will take a hit now. 
I will not worry about that if I pass.

Hope I passed the October exam(MM depth).  It will suck to have to buy another practice exam book or study for a different exam format.  
I am sure you will do fine, hope for the best. Due to change in format for April 2017 exam, there is a chance to have low cut score this time around.

As for as the books are concerned, I think MERM 13th edition is still okay to use for all three formats. It might be worth spending money to buy NCEES practice exam for one's specific depth.

Kinda covered in the last post, but before I fork out the money I figured I should get some opinions. 

Whats everyone buying for study material with this change? 

I was thinking 13th edition of the MERM and the 6 minute solutions. Anyone have an opinion on this tactic? Should I wait a little to see if they come out with more specialized material for the exam?

I will be taking the HVAC exam in April

Kinda covered in the last post, but before I fork out the money I figured I should get some opinions. 

Whats everyone buying for study material with this change? 

I was thinking 13th edition of the MERM and the 6 minute solutions. Anyone have an opinion on this tactic? Should I wait a little to see if they come out with more specialized material for the exam?

I will be taking the HVAC exam in April
I will suggest to add all ASHRAE books. I took HVAC and I used all the ASHRAE books.

Check with your coworkers for these books which you ma be able to borrow.

Definitely will need your supplemental references: ASHRAE for HVAC, Shigley's for MD, etc. 

I looked back over the new MD spec sheet.  I'm surprised that the area of vibrations is only covered in the 'principles' section (AM).  Also noted that 'Codes and Standards' is now included in 'Applications' (PM).  I don't recall any mention of codes/standards on the former sheet, nor do I recall working on problems that would require a specific code/standard besides something very basic like ASME B/PV welds, etc. that are covered in the MERM.  

I'm really curious how the April 17 exam will be.  Might have been worth signing up for that 'Mechanical Standard Setting Study' in May. 

I think one of the reasons for NCEES to change exam specification is taking first step to computerize PE exams. For computer tests, I heard that NCEES preference is to provide reference book just like they provide for FE exam ( no more an open book exam). 

I think one of the reasons for NCEES to change exam specification is taking first step to computerize PE exams. For computer tests, I heard that NCEES preference is to provide reference book just like they provide for FE exam ( no more an open book exam). 
And of course this will not happen until 2020. 

Anyone know of mechanical design review courses that have been updated to the new exam format? I see Dr. Tom's is on the ball, although the course schedule still shows the 2016 material.

Hello folks I plan on taking the TFS exam in April 17 and have already found these forums to be extremely beneficial! Like many I also wonder what are the best prep materials for the new format.

Looks like there is a new PPI book "Thermal and Fluids Systems Reference Manual for the Mechanical PE Exam (METS)". Im assuming this is geared towards the new format.  I wonder if this essentially replaces the MERM for those taking TFS or would it still only be complementary to MERM?  

I also plan to purchase the 2016 NCEES TFS practice exam and will also study with the Six-Minute Solutions for TFS (have a copy of 2nd edition from a friend). Is there any additional material that I'm missing out on for TFS?

Hello folks I plan on taking the TFS exam in April 17 and have already found these forums to be extremely beneficial! Like many I also wonder what are the best prep materials for the new format.

Looks like there is a new PPI book "Thermal and Fluids Systems Reference Manual for the Mechanical PE Exam (METS)". Im assuming this is geared towards the new format.  I wonder if this essentially replaces the MERM for those taking TFS or would it still only be complementary to MERM?  

I also plan to purchase the 2016 NCEES TFS practice exam and will also study with the Six-Minute Solutions for TFS (have a copy of 2nd edition from a friend). Is there any additional material that I'm missing out on for TFS?
Looks like it is meant to be the only volume you need.  I think I would get the MERM as it is a more complete reference. However if cost is an issue perhaps it will be enough.  It's hard to say.  Looks like maybe they just took out all the sections that are no longer covered on the exam (I note that econ is still on the exam but not apparently in this review book).  Just goes to show that future exams are not going to certify a very rounded engineer.

Edit: I note that they are advertising a bundle deal that includes this book and the MERM, so maybe it's not?  The book description doesn't make it very clear.

Last edited by a moderator:

One of my personal favorite books is Crane Technical Paper 410. Between that book, a heavily tab'd MERM (and color-coded tabs too), and some extra properties tables (air, water, refrigerants, etc., but no repeats from MERM), that was all I needed (and frankly, had time to look through) for the test. 

The MERM appendix has all the information you need for the exam that is available in Crane Technical Paper 410.  With that said, Crane Technical Paper 410 is a very good reference for fluids and piping engineers.

The good and the bad of 3 completely separate exams vs 1 common AM and 3 separate PM:

Good

• Less material and topics to study
  • Units are all in English (at least for HVAC and Refrigeration)
  • No project management to worry about (at least for HVAC and Refrigeration)
  • More effort spent studying your specific subjects and perhaps becoming more proficient in your specialty 
  • Less chances of "this problem might as well be written in Latin"
Bad

• Less "well rounded" exam covering fewer topics
  • Increase in exam difficulty if all problems would follow PM difficulty (no more AM carrying the load for those did worse PM)
  • Harder time selling old exam prep material
  • 3 different types of ME licenses?

The good and the bad of 3 completely separate exams vs 1 common AM and 3 separate PM:

Good

• Less material and topics to study
  • Units are all in English (at least for HVAC and Refrigeration)
  • No project management to worry about (at least for HVAC and Refrigeration)
  • More effort spent studying your specific subjects and perhaps becoming more proficient in your specialty 
  • Less chances of "this problem might as well be written in Latin"
Bad

• Less "well rounded" exam covering fewer topics
  • Increase in exam difficulty if all problems would follow PM difficulty (no more AM carrying the load for those did worse PM)
  • Harder time selling old exam prep material
  • 3 different types of ME licenses?
Units are split in the other exams and I believe that is the same as before, so that is neutral maybe?  The selling of old exam material will drop out very soon as a bad.  And it will still be only one type of ME license, at least for now. As for project management to worry about: IME, that has been a highly important aspect of my job in just about every position I've had in my career.  Not testing for PM is a very bad, IMO.

As for difficulty, I thought the PM was easier than the AM.

Back