NCEES streamlined process

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
honestly I don't think 3-4 weeks is a reasonable timeframe to expect, even in this internet age, just for sheer logistics. Figure it will take almost a week to get all the tests back from the states. Then they have to grade all the tests. Then they have to run all the stats. They probably wait a bit for comment cards from test takers. Then they have to deal with the bum questions, which most likely involves getting committees involved to look at the question. Trying to schedule multiple people around a couple holidays is a PITA. Then everyone knows how working by committee works and voila 8-10 weeks.

honestly I don't think 3-4 weeks is a reasonable timeframe to expect, even in this internet age, just for sheer logistics. Figure it will take almost a week to get all the tests back from the states. Then they have to grade all the tests. Then they have to run all the stats. They probably wait a bit for comment cards from test takers. Then they have to deal with the bum questions, which most likely involves getting committees involved to look at the question. Trying to schedule multiple people around a couple holidays is a PITA. Then everyone knows how working by committee works and voila 8-10 weeks.
Agreed. Generally, the bigger the organization and its responsibilities, the longer it takes things to get done. But the value in leaving all the responsibilities to this one organization is that reciprocity is more likely given out rather than requireing a re-test. I'm not defending the NCEES, but I see value in the current setup that some people are choosing to ignore.

Also factor in some complaints that could trickle in the week after the exam suggesting someone witnessed cheating or shady behaivor. It's not like NCEES can then "go to the tapes". Instead, there is even more statistical analysis that has to occur to see if there are any unsettling trends for that one location.

There's so much going on they have to deal with that it's not always cut and dry as people around here suggest. And the public's safety is at heart with this. Just as you don't want to sign anything that you wouldn't stake your reputation on, they don't want to falsely qualify anyone that then gets that honor/privilidge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, why is there this absolute resistance on this board to any form of concern in regards to Ncees's service?
Having to be a mandatory customer of theres by law, should expose them to more criticism and more open examination of there processes, not less.
The NCEES gave you a time frame of 8-10 weeks (and some states take much longer then that to validate results). The NCEES still has not exceeded that time frame, thus it's hard to find much to complain about.

I have to assume that many of the people who are complaining about the wait are taking the exam for the first time. The results always take a while to be released. Yes, it does seem to be later in the calendar year for these results to come out, but the exam was given a week later then normal. Just be glad that most of you didn't take the exam in California. They likely won't get their results until February.

The results will come, getting all worked up about them won't make them get here any faster, relax and try to enjoy the holidays.
That's all fine and dandy but the fact of the matter is that this is the longest wait anyone has had since 2005. For the past five years the results would have been out already but for some reason with this streamlined process it is taking longer than it has for the past five years. The 8-10 weeks is just b.s c.y.a language from NCEES.

That's all fine and dandy but the fact of the matter is that this is the longest wait anyone has had since 2005. For the past five years the results would have been out already but for some reason with this streamlined process it is taking longer than it has for the past five years. The 8-10 weeks is just b.s c.y.a language from NCEES.
Sure, because none of us have ever put some fluff in our schedules to account for the unknown. Remember, they have a new registration system, what appears to be a new scoring and reporting system. So to make sure everything works properly, they're releasing in smaller groups and looking for glitches along the way and they're using up their fluff. You guys just happen to be the taking the exam when the changeover is made.

Can someone explain something to me since I am also waiting on results and do not have a history of knowledge with the PE:

Where does everyone come up with the "streamlined process" phrase to describe NCEES scoring? I understand it is somehow different this year than in previous years, but where did NCEES claim it was streamlined, or was that someone else's description of it? Also, last time I checked, streamlined doesn't necesarily mean faster, just more efficient? For all we know, NCEES could have done the grades this year at a 10% cost savings and still meet their deadline. That to me would be a streamlined process.

I think more states that don't use ncees to proctor now had their test takers also register with ncees to get an application/ID number to include on their applications for the state.

...and the diagnostic report is different

If I were them (NCEES) I would move the October exam to September so that the results are not coming back during the height of the holiday season, and of course move the april exam to march, although I am sure they have some reason behind the madness, I just think coupled with the christmas season its a bad time, people have in-laws at their house eating their food, using to much toilet paper, wadding, not folding, etc, etc, etc,

Think..

Aunt Bethany you shouldnt have done that

" Did I break wind again?"

NCEES quoted 8 to 10 weeks to release the results. If you promised a client 8 to 10 weeks to deliver a project, and in the middle of the week 8 started harassing you you wouldn't even try to justify the timeline past "we quoted 8 to 10 weeks". I want my results too, but it's not even week nine until Friday. No matter how anxious we may be, if NCEES releases the results as late as 5:00 Hawaii time on January 7th, it couldn't be called anything but on time.

I'm just holding my negative judgment of NCESS until 10 weeks and 1 second.

Enjoy the New Year's celebration. The results will come.

I think we should have a few of the old timers give a rating to the level of tension on each post to see if this is a trend? I thought it was bad when I was waiting, but now the new crop is more impatient than those even within a couple of years.

NCEES quoted 8 to 10 weeks to release the results. If you promised a client 8 to 10 weeks to deliver a project, and in the middle of the week 8 started harassing you you wouldn't even try to justify the timeline past "we quoted 8 to 10 weeks". I want my results too, but it's not even week nine until Friday. No matter how anxious we may be, if NCEES releases the results as late as 5:00 Hawaii time on January 7th, it couldn't be called anything but on time.
I'm just holding my negative judgment of NCESS until 10 weeks and 1 second.

Enjoy the New Year's celebration. The results will come.
Actually in my experience it seems that more often what actually happens is we promise a client 8 to 10 weeks, the client finds out they need to send everything to permitting earlier to meet budgetary deadlines, we end up being forced to agree to a truncated timeline of 6 weeks, and drawings end up being required by the architect for printing purposes at the end of week 5. I would be overjoyed to only have to get something completed and turned in by the absolute latest deadline possible for once. :mf_bounce8:

Latest posts

Back