NCEES Record

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I printed out and mailed all the forms on Friday. We'll see how good all my references are on returning everything.

Well, I printed out and mailed all the forms on Friday. We'll see how good all my references are on returning everything.
That is usually the more difficult aspect.  Having to track down refs.  "Hey, remember that thing I gave you last MONTH?"  :smh:

I'm renewing my record this month. Do I have to get a new reference each year or can I use the same guys that signed off initially? It is worded somewhat vaguely in the instructions.

Because if I have to come up with an unused PE each year like you do when changing passwords, I'm going to run out of colleagues after a while...

I'm renewing my record this month. Do I have to get a new reference each year or can I use the same guys that signed off initially? It is worded somewhat vaguely in the instructions.

Because if I have to come up with an unused PE each year like you do when changing passwords, I'm going to run out of colleagues after a while...
I would think that the same person can be used repeatedly. I would be hosed after year 2 otherwise.

Since NCEES is taking forever to update my records application, should that be taken as a sign of good things to come for freshly minted certificates?

I'm guessing not.

I would think that the same person can be used repeatedly. I would be hosed after year 2 otherwise.
The same person can be used.  However, you can update your work experience accordingly with more of the recent projects you worked on.

Well, all of my engineering references came through in a decent amount of time. However, I had to have an employment verification from one non-engineering related job and they are dragging their feet. I tried to email the girl in HR to make sure she even received the paperwork and she won't reply.

How long does this go on before I have to drive to my former employer to persuade them to sign a stupid sheet of paper, or have NCEES accept some sort of "they don't give a crap" explanation? 

^ if unresponsive, I would work more with NCEES on that.  This goes back to what I was saying about carefully reporting those positions you held which would actually be able to properly validate you.

I listed all jobs per their instructions but they only went back so far. Like I said, it isn't an engineering job. Decent sized company with a lot of office staff, so I am stuck in limbo for now.

Understood.  But I also didn't list my first position out of school in inside sales as I knew it would only cause problems.  Didn't have any hang-ups during the approval process. :dunno:

This is the job I had in college, so it is middle of the pack so to speak. Finally got a phone number and called. But, no one answered.

And I certainly didn't list any of the "Joe" jobs I had in school.  I don't event think the have the same mgmt structure anymore.  LOL

Might be best to speak with an NCEES rep. and see what they think about striking that from your experience since it is non-engineering related anyway.

This is the job I had in college, so it is middle of the pack so to speak. Finally got a phone number and called. But, no one answered.
When I did the NCEES record they wanted to know about any jobs I had between high school and college. Then every job I have had since college. I worked as a summer camp counselor in the summer between high school and college. I was able to track down the Camp Director who signed the paper for me. They didn't care about the summers I worked that same job in college or the internships I had. They only cared about the time between high school and college and after college. I don't see how a summer I spent when I was 18 teaching 11 year olds how to burn random things (aka build a fire) and cut their fingers open (aka use a knife/hatchet properly) has any bearing on what I do now, but I'm clearly not the expert on this.

I know what you mean but this was a full time job for almost 9 years. I just don't understand why they need anything that isn't being counted as engineering experience, which this isn't. It was a factory job. It will get done, it just is a real PITA.

I know what you mean but this was a full time job for almost 9 years. I just don't understand why they need anything that isn't being counted as engineering experience, which this isn't. It was a factory job. It will get done, it just is a real PITA.
I'm sure its just there is one state that requires to know what you did from high school on, so they made the NCEES record reflect that to make it more versatile.

4 hours ago, Ken PE 3.0 said: I know what you mean but this was a full time job for almost 9 years. I just don't understand why they need anything that isn't being counted as engineering experience, which this isn't. It was a factory job. It will get done, it just is a real PITA.
I'm sure its just there is one state that requires to know what you did from high school on, so they made the NCEES record reflect that to make it more versatile.
I know, just aggravating.

It took 36 days, but I finally got movement on the last verification. Hopefully Monday it will show up at NCEES and the process can move forward.

Back