NCEES Record

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another quick question for anyone who worked before engineering:

WTF???

I have to go and track down someone at every stinking place I worked at before I decided to go to college?

Good grief. what a PITA that will be.

^ LOL. Depends on what you all decide to list as applicable engineering work experience. I listed nothing before my undergraduate years. Even my first job out of school (inside sales) I did not list because it did not directly apply to my engineering discipline.

That is what I would think to do, but the paperwork says all jobs post highschool. Who gives a rats ass that I worked at a grocery store when I was a kid?

Another quick question for anyone who worked before engineering:

WTF???

I have to go and track down someone at every stinking place I worked at before I decided to go to college?

Good grief. what a PITA that will be.
Don't forget any and all paper routes, baby sitting hours, money laundering schemes and crack house start ups

****, I forgot about all my hoes.

I think you just have to list employment and school since HS but dont have to get letters from bosses--

Some states want all employment since HS. When i applied for CO license they were that way, i just listed my supervisor from when i was in the US Army as G Bush 41 & B Clinton respectively...

I think its really dumb to ask for work history before graduation from college..

That is what I would think to do, but the paperwork says all jobs post highschool. Who gives a rats ass that I worked at a grocery store when I was a kid?
I'm assuming you didn't attend college right after high school? Unless the wording on the application has since changed, it just wants your employment after high school only if there's a gap. References pertain those engagements you consider to be professional. Other engagements do not need references.

Yes, I started college 6 years later.

I will just talk to NCEES, see what they really need.

They're going to want the information that meets the most stringent requirement. If in the case of Road Guy's example, CO wants every employer from HS on, that's what you'll need to provide. Getting employment verifications from the 9 employers I've had since college was a pain in the rear but that's what I need to do for the NCEES. It's definitely worth it though. Illinois issued my license within a week of receiving my application. I think they just wanted the money since the state is broke.

I have to find all these people to get verification?

Time to jump in the Delorean and go to college straight out of high school.

Once again:

1. Nationally administered test

2. 55 ways of interpreting the rules

Is any of your pre-college experience engineering related? I wouldn't think they'd want verification if it isn't as it has no bearing on your professional qualifications.

As someone who has been applying for licensure in more states recently, the differences in the rules become even more apparent. Some states want the application notarized, some have take home rule/ethics exams, some want detailed experience information, etc. One of the odder requirements is for Massachusetts, which has you submit 1 pound of engineering paper work such as plans, calculations or reports. Why does it have to be 1 pound anyway?

I did not put any non engineering jobs pre college and during college ..i was working as helper pre college, photography shop pre college,

Research assistant and food service during college..

my application only required after graduation till now

Is any of your pre-college experience engineering related? I wouldn't think they'd want verification if it isn't as it has no bearing on your professional qualifications.

As someone who has been applying for licensure in more states recently, the differences in the rules become even more apparent. Some states want the application notarized, some have take home rule/ethics exams, some want detailed experience information, etc. One of the odder requirements is for Massachusetts, which has you submit 1 pound of engineering paper work such as plans, calculations or reports. Why does it have to be 1 pound anyway?
Typically Massachusetts requires a pound of flesh to do anything. A pound of paper is getting off easy.

I lived in Mass and took the test there. I know exactly what you mean.

FWIW It doesn't have to be 1lb. of paperwork, that is the upper limit.  Seeing as they are requesting examples of your engineering work (which could get quite volumnuous), it's actually a rather clever way of defining a limit.

FWIW It doesn't have to be 1lb. of paperwork, that is the upper limit.  Seeing as they are requesting examples of your engineering work (which could get quite volumnuous), it's actually a rather clever way of defining a limit.
Thank God for 42x30 prints!

One drainage report can easily be over a pound. It certainly made me be selective when I applied.

Back