NCEES Record - system upgrade

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think NCEES has done a terrible job communicating the correct procedures for updating the records. Why should we even have to "link"? Shouldn't it be automatic if we have an account already? I have been with NCEES for 16 years now and a couple of companies I worked for have closed or changed hands. I should not have to put in any extra effort to re-register. If anyone is exploring legal options, I would like to know also. 

Thank you.

After I had to get the references to update online, I finally got to what I thought was the final step of "record migration".  Not so.  They want me to get re-verification of state licenses, and work history since my initial application.  And trying to edit the work history only got me an error 404.
So essentially what I'm hearing is that legacy record holders have to re-establish a new record altogether.  That is absurd.

I think NCEES has done a terrible job communicating the correct procedures for updating the records. Why should we even have to "link"? Shouldn't it be automatic if we have an account already? I have been with NCEES for 16 years now and a couple of companies I worked for have closed or changed hands. I should not have to put in any extra effort to re-register. If anyone is exploring legal options, I would like to know also. 
Quoted for the truth!  If NCEES is changing THEIR OWN system, then THEY should be responsible for how to handle the legacy information. And I don't care if that process means manual data entry. It's not my problem and I did not create this situation warranting information updates.  I'm in the same boat where I would need another new (5) PE references as my references from when my record was first established are no longer available.

Count me in on exploring legal action and such and I'm also happy to help with whatever research might be needed for this.

Count me in as well, my record was less than a year old and I once again have to get updated references and pay $30+ in various fees to get a few states to verify that I'm licensed (licenses that I got using the NCEES records). Thankfully I don't need my records right away but if this was holding up a job I'd be furious and calling NCEES daily to complain. Further annoyance is I've already had to send them $75 to begin the transmittal to a state board and transfer my account from the old system to the new system but now have to wait this exorbitantly long time to get references with nothing to show for my $75 after a few weeks.

Count me in as well, my record was less than a year old and I once again have to get updated references and pay $30+ in various fees to get a few states to verify that I'm licensed (licenses that I got using the NCEES records). Thankfully I don't need my records right away but if this was holding up a job I'd be furious and calling NCEES daily to complain. Further annoyance is I've already had to send them $75 to begin the transmittal to a state board and transfer my account from the old system to the new system but now have to wait this exorbitantly long time to get references with nothing to show for my $75 after a few weeks.
You verified multiple states? Do you have to? I only requested verification from my home state and there was a fee associated with Indiana. I just sent verification for the 7 out of my other 9 states that verify for free. I won't do the other two with fees unless I need to. I don't know why NCEES needs to know what states I currently hold in order to transmit to other states.

I am waiting on an offer for one where it is needed. They might be OK with a pending comity, but none the less - I am several weeks into having this thing transmitted over. If I don't get the job because of license issue, then I am going to withdraw my 401(K) and sue them for real damage.....

[email protected]

They don't have the moxy to list any other emails on their contact list, but I am sure you all are smart enough to decipher them:

http://ncees.org/contact/
Done. Sent an email to all their executives from CEO to CFO to Steven Matthews himself. I had already been emailing Stef Goodenow and Marie Nebesky has been replying for her. I asked if we can talk on the phone since she kept telling me how awesome the new system is and I kept emailing her that is not my issue....... she could see no issue with what is being asked from the existing record holders...

Also, two of my references did not receive the email from the shiny new system. Two did. They all work at the same company. Marie blames it on the company spam filter. Yet another thing to look out for......

Also, two of my references did not receive the email from the shiny new system. Two did. They all work at the same company. Marie blames it on the company spam filter. Yet another thing to look out for......
Oh, fantastic. So the three references who are taking a while to submit their references might just not have received the messages. So now I get to be a huge pain in the ass and email them again and bother them even more.

You verified multiple states? Do you have to? I only requested verification from my home state and there was a fee associated with Indiana. I just sent verification for the 7 out of my other 9 states that verify for free. I won't do the other two with fees unless I need to. I don't know why NCEES needs to know what states I currently hold in order to transmit to other states.
I figured it would only help speed things along when I finally got to use this stupid new system, but you're entirely right that I probably don't need to bother with the states that have fees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh....

I'm debating not even using the record anymore. It's just too much to ask us to do the legwork to upgrade our own records while we have been paying the yearly upkeep fee. (I've had my record for almost 10 years now.) 

So what if I need to fill out more paperwork? Isn't that what clerks are for?

Done. Sent an email to all their executives from CEO to CFO to Steven Matthews himself. I had already been emailing Stef Goodenow and Marie Nebesky has been replying for her. I asked if we can talk on the phone since she kept telling me how awesome the new system is and I kept emailing her that is not my issue....... she could see no issue with what is being asked from the existing record holders...

Thank you automatic... perhaps they need some prodding to see the members' point of view and not just how it helps their bureaucracy. 

Automatic, are you Jo Ge on facebook? If so, NCEES posted quite the idiotic reply to your post (link here).

Here's what they wrote:

National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) Jo, we understand your frustration. No one likes to have to update information that they’ve already entered, especially if it was done fairly recently.

There is a reason that we can’t simply migrate all of your information for you. References in paper form can not be pushed through a now-electronic means of information gathering. We at NCEES can not act as though we are the respondents. If feedback is going into your account as dated/signed/submitted by PE references, employment supervisors, or boards verifying licenses, they and only they can send it. We have reached this position in conjunction with the 70 state licensing boards of the U.S.A.

We can assure you that your part in requesting these references in the new system is minimal. Your contacts’ names are already entered. All you need to do is add their email addresses and hit send. Their part is almost as easy and can be completed in a minute or two.

As far as your "contract" with NCEES is concerned, your NCEES Record is currently active. You don’t have to make any updates or changes if you don’t want to. The only reason you need to make any updates is if you plan to apply for comity licensure. If you don’t need to transmit, then you don’t need to do anything at all.

As far as extending the time you feel you have lost, there are no renewal fees moving forward. You don’t have to pay NCEES another cent and your Record will remain active. To reiterate, the only reason you would need to update anything in your account is if you need to transmit to a new licensing board.

Once again, all of the changes in the system have been made in conjunction with the state licensing boards. The tech has changed, their needs have changed, and those changes had to be implemented at some point. Now is simply that time.

Again, we know it’s an inconvenience, but we’ve tried to make it as painless as possible.

Here's what I wrote back:

"If you don't need to transmit, then you don't need to do anything at all."

So, as long as we don't need to use this service we don't need to update!? What a stupid thing to state and clearly shows the disconnect of why NCEES apparently doesn't see the problem here. Also, don't forget that we can't start updating the account until we request transmittal to a state! Thus, we can't even start the process until we actually need the account. Many of our clients cannot wait 3 weeks for the account to be moved to the new system, updated with new references for another week or two (which is not as simple as you make it to be), and finally transmitted so that the state board can then take a few weeks of their own to review the application and finally issue a license.

Consider that many engineers do not have 5 personal references of licensed engineers readily available. It is not simply "a minute or two", I'm still waiting to hear back from 2 of my references and one has been too busy to fill out the form.

You are costing engineers a lot more time and money than the "old" yearly renewal fee. If we had the option to submit the old references until the new account was fully established this would be acceptable. As it is this service is not worth the money we paid. Good thing I don't have to pay to keep it going otherwise I would not after this.

Almost the entire reason I got this records account 9 months ago was to avoid the hassle of getting references when I applied to new state licenses.

Automatic, are you Jo Ge on facebook? If so, NCEES posted quite the idiotic reply to your post (link here).

Here's what they wrote:

Here's what I wrote back:

"If you don't need to transmit, then you don't need to do anything at all."So, as long as we don't need to use this service we don't need to update!? What a stupid thing to state and clearly shows the disconnect of why NCEES apparently doesn't see the problem here. Also, don't forget that we can't start updating the account until we request transmittal to a state! Thus, we can't even start the process until we actually need the account. Many of our clients cannot wait 3 weeks for the account to be moved to the new system, updated with new references for another week or two (which is not as simple as you make it to be), and finally transmitted so that the state board can then take a few weeks of their own to review the application and finally issue a license.Consider that many engineers do not have 5 personal references of licensed engineers readily available. It is not simply "a minute or two", I'm still waiting to hear back from 2 of my references and one has been too busy to fill out the form.You are costing engineers a lot more time and money than the "old" yearly renewal fee. If we had the option to submit the old references until the new account was fully established this would be acceptable. As it is this service is not worth the money we paid. Good thing I don't have to pay to keep it going otherwise I would not after this.Almost the entire reason I got this records account 9 months ago was to avoid the hassle of getting references when I applied to new state licenses.
:appl:

I will be adding to the FB posts to hopefully drive home the point (which I doubt they will understand).

well if you're an engineer that works for NCEES then you probably do have all day to write references for people since your obviously not doing your regular job!

lol, what a pain in the ass, sorry folks!

well if you're an engineer that works for NCEES then you probably do have all day to write references for people since your obviously not doing your regular job!

lol, what a pain in the ass, sorry folks!
That's honestly what baffles me; I know NCEES has engineers working for them. Perhaps they didn't have to wait while their records were transferred over. Perhaps there is 5+ of them and they can all reference each other very easily. Yet even assuming all that I would think that one of them would say "you know, why don't we just let people use the old accounts at least until they've setup the new system?"

Just completely ridiculous.

It goes to show how out of touch with reality these people are. I also spoke with the support staff and they are completely devoid of any empathy. I just feel that it is a big bureaucracy that is out of control and needs to be reigned in.

That's honestly what baffles me; I know NCEES has engineers working for them. Perhaps they didn't have to wait while their records were transferred over. Perhaps there is 5+ of them and they can all reference each other very easily. Yet even assuming all that I would think that one of them would say "you know, why don't we just let people use the old accounts at least until they've setup the new system?"

Just completely ridiculous.
Agreed. Why are they falling back on it's a confidentiality thing? Wouldn't they be able to get some sort of electronic consent from each record holder? They wouldn't be changing any of the reference information, merely just copying it to an online format. What am I missing here?

Agreed. Why are they falling back on it's a confidentiality thing? Wouldn't they be able to get some sort of electronic consent from each record holder? They wouldn't be changing any of the reference information, merely just copying it to an online format. What am I missing here?
They copied over my work experience form just fine so I don't buy any of this for a second. I would honestly say that an engineer certifying that I had the required years of experience to be way more critical than the references section. Both require an engineer's signature, why can one be transferred over and not the other?

This is definitely a question that I want to hear what bogus answer they come up with.

Latest posts

Back