National Society of Professional Engineers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark Knight

Silent Guardian
Reaction score
According to my boss...

"I am a Professional Engineer because my National Engineer Society membership. I do not need to take any test to be considered a Professional Engineer"

OK...That comes from a guy that have not passed his EIT yet. But he is a manager already so who the bleep cares...right? So far he has not need it so I guess he is right.

My take on this? :w00t: :puke:

I suppose one could argue that if someone does engineering work and gets paid for doing that work, then he/she is in fact a "professional engineer".

You should have clarified for him that you are in fact a REGISTERED PE which means that the State Board recognizes your status as a professional engineer and you have a stamp and wall certificate to prove it.

I suppose one could argue that if someone does engineering work and gets paid for doing that work, then he/she is in fact a "professional engineer".
I agree that the argument could be made. Those who choose to make the argument should make sure that they check the board rules for their state. Some state boards have limitations on who can represent themselves as engineers and may issue fines against those who misrepresent themselves.

You should have said "Well whoop dee do, thats not what the state thinks you are".

He may be an engineering professional, but he is not a Professional Engineer. That's like Pepsi calling itself Coke. You may be a cola, but the law says you're not a Coke.

I would tend to say that makes him a member of NSPE... not a PE...

I could (theoretically) become a member of the Black Panthers... this would neither make me black nor a panther.

I might remind him that it is illegal for a non-PE to market himself as such, and that you're obligated to report to the state board any transgressions...
this is actually a state specific regulation, although more and more states are adding the necessary language to their regulations.

He does not market himself as a Professional Engineer. His comment came out of a conversation when someone asked him if he was a PE. He said that he was, and showed us his NSPE certificate. I made a mistake and asked him from what state his license was. He got it the wrong(or maybe he got it right way since I know he is not a PE) became defensive and gave us the explanation that NSPE is a NATIONAL organization and does not require to pass a test to be a professional engineer and his membership was enough to be recognized as one.

I will leave it like that since have nothing to win out of this and he already is in a defensive mode.

I forget what industry you work in currently, DK. But there is the "industry exemption" for things like manufacturing and oilfield etc. I worked in the oilfield in my younger days and no one was licensed, but we all considered ourselves to be "professional" engineers, but definitely not PEs. Half the people I worked with didn't know a thing about licensing. I was already an EIT, and I knew about it, but was told a PE had no value so just give up on it.

If your company is in a field that is covered by licensing law, then I think your boss's statements are pretty bad, though. And even if he is covered by the industry exemption, that's a pretty crappy attitude, and reflects poorly on him (doesn't he understand that?)

Last edited by a moderator:
He does not market himself as a Professional Engineer. His comment came out of a conversation when someone asked him if he was a PE. He said that he was, and showed us his NSPE certificate. I made a mistake and asked him from what state his license was. He got it the wrong(or maybe he got it right way since I know he is not a PE) became defensive and gave us the explanation that NSPE is a NATIONAL organization and does not require to pass a test to be a professional engineer and his membership was enough to be recognized as one.
I will leave it like that since have nothing to win out of this and he already is in a defensive mode.
He sounds like a bit of a toolbag. You should just keep pressing his buttons and ask to see his seal sometime.

Edit: That's what she said.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was also nominated for membership in the National Geographic Society (via mail) the other day ....

OK... Report him to the NSPE Board of Trustees (or whatever they have) and petition them to take away his membership. From their website:

VisionNSPE is the recognized voice and advocate of licensed Professional Engineers.

Mission

NSPE, in partnership with the State Societies, is the organization of licensed Professional Engineers (PEs) and Engineer Interns (EIs). Through education, licensure advocacy, leadership training, multi-disciplinary networking, and outreach, NSPE enhances the image of its members and their ability to ethically and professionally practice engineering.

Values

1. Protection of the public welfare above all other considerations

2. Ethical and competent practice of engineering

3. Innovation through the creative application of math, science and engineering

4. The PE license as the highest standard of professionalism in engineering

5. Continuous learning for professional growth

6. Growth in the number of licensed Professional Engineers

7. Teamwork, unity and fellowship of all PEs across all disciplines

8. Commitment to the future of the licensed Professional Engineer

Goals

1. Foster Chapter-State-National partnerships to seamlessly deliver a core level of service to every member.

2. Deliver value to our members that enhances their competence and ability to practice as a Professional Engineer.

3. Increase membership to serve and represent the collective interests of all licensed Professional Engineers and Engineer Interns.

so he must have at least passed the FE exam to even be welcomed into this society. Taking liberties with the joint membership they accept.

Or he just doen't really understand the difference and doesn't want to see the light.

so he must have at least passed the FE exam to even be welcomed into this society. Taking liberties with the joint membership they accept.
Or he just doen't really understand the difference and doesn't want to see the light.
No to the first statement. He has not passed the EIT (or FE).

He understands the difference. He does not give a darn. So far it has worked for him.

Back