MSEE after MBA, BSEE, PE and PMP or too much?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It all comes down to your current position, your desired career path, and your means.

I list both my PE and my PMP on my company signatures, but that's because I am the technical project lead. The PE implies the degree, so no need to show the bachelors.  Showing the Master's degree is only really needed on a resume when looking for a job, or working in the research fields.  MBA's can be useful on a resume or company email signature, but IMO is like a PMP and job/project specific.

I am also a glutton for learning, but I do draw the line at practicality. I won't necessarily do a certification or a master's program unless I can see a genuine professional need for it.  I've been debating getting a masters degree in Construction Management or a MBA, but it's been my experience that they never really make financial sense to do it unless you have the company footing the bill. And on top of that, a lot of Master's programs aren't worth the paper they're written on simply because most of the colleges that offer them are slightly better than printing presses to anyone willing to write them a check.

^ :plusone:

Which is why I did quite a bit of research before finding the right MSEE degree.

It all comes down to your current position, your desired career path, and your means.

I list both my PE and my PMP on my company signatures, but that's because I am the technical project lead. The PE implies the degree, so no need to show the bachelors.  Showing the Master's degree is only really needed on a resume when looking for a job, or working in the research fields.  MBA's can be useful on a resume or company email signature, but IMO is like a PMP and job/project specific.

I am also a glutton for learning, but I do draw the line at practicality. I won't necessarily do a certification or a master's program unless I can see a genuine professional need for it.  I've been debating getting a masters degree in Construction Management or a MBA, but it's been my experience that they never really make financial sense to do it unless you have the company footing the bill. And on top of that, a lot of Master's programs aren't worth the paper they're written on simply because most of the colleges that offer them are slightly better than printing presses to anyone willing to write them a check.
I have a Masters in Construction Management and found it very useful and some of the things I learned (mostly law and contract based) have been a boon to my career. Granted, my company paid for 75% of the degree... I wouldn't consider it economical to pay for the full degree since it has not helped me advance in my career (experience and reputation has been key)

Back